Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coldest Rink in Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fizz View Post
    Beinfait, without a doubt! Played there one night and it was so cold our water bottles froze on the bench.
    Coldest barn I have ever played in.
    Beinfait was cold but I remember the old barn in Wawota being colder (I think they got artificial ice much later unless I am confusing it with Langbank). Two teammates froze their feet. Of of them could not play in the 3rd as he pulled off his skates during the 2nd intermission they couldn't get them back on due to swelling!

Man, brings back memories. Long trips in my friends van (with shag carpet on the floor) and we would lay on the floor and play cards and talk about making the NHL while our dad's sat up front and smoked like chimneys (with the windows closed!). I remember having a getting thrown around the van a few times as we had to dodge some deer.

My son's team was just in Asquith and that was pretty frosty too. Our poor goalie only got like 3 shots all game. So he moved around making a big pile of snow in front of his net. I laughed like hell when the puck actually went into our end and one of his teammates skated by and destroyed his snow pile with his stick and he was yelling at him.....

Comment

Originally posted by Millicurie View Post

Beinfait was cold but I remember the old barn in Wawota being colder (I think they got artificial ice much later unless I am confusing it with Langbank). Two teammates froze their feet. Of of them could not play in the 3rd as he pulled off his skates during the 2nd intermission they couldn't get them back on due to swelling!

Man, brings back memories. Long trips in my friends van (with shag carpet on the floor) and we would lay on the floor and play cards and talk about making the NHL while our dad's sat up front and smoked like chimneys (with the windows closed!). I remember having a getting thrown around the van a few times as we had to dodge some deer.

My son's team was just in Asquith and that was pretty frosty too. Our poor goalie only got like 3 shots all game. So he moved around making a big pile of snow in front of his net. I laughed like hell when the puck actually went into our end and one of his teammates skated by and destroyed his snow pile with his stick and he was yelling at him.....
      I played there once in Bantam. I don't remember how cold it was, only that the benches only had 1 gate and half of us had to jump over the boards

Comment

The bolded. My mom always worked on Saturdays when we normally played, so I would always have to get a ride to the other towns with other parents. The jackpot was being able to get in with the parent who had the big station wagon, where your equipment was in the warm car with you. The worst was having to get a ride in someone's pickup truck, with your equipment in the deep freeze of the truck box for the whole trip, sometimes even covered in snow!

Comment

I have played in Beinfait and Wawota they dont come close to Bellgarde on the cold scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

The bolded. My mom always worked on Saturdays when we normally played, so I would always have to get a ride to the other towns with other parents. The jackpot was being able to get in with the parent who had the big station wagon, where your equipment was in the warm car with you. The worst was having to get a ride in someone's pickup truck, with your equipment in the deep freeze of the truck box for the whole trip, sometimes even covered in snow!

Haha, we didn't have a station wagon on the team until much later. I was spoiled my buddy's dad almost always drove in the van so our equipment was nice and toasty. But I do know what you are talking about, these city kids are spoiled playing at local rinks

It was always fun playing the city teams in tournaments since the farm boys did hard labour most of year and were on average much stronger. We had some kids in pewee and bantam who were tough....like beating the adult male gym teacher in arm wrestling strong at 14.

My son thinks hard labor is unloading the dishwasher.....although I am getting him a job at McDonalds as soon as he can!

Comment

Haha, we didn't have a station wagon on the team until much later. I was spoiled my buddy's dad almost always drove in the van so our equipment was nice and toasty. But I do know what you are talking about, these city kids are spoiled playing at local rinks

It was always fun playing the city teams in tournaments since the farm boys did hard labour most of year and were on average much stronger. We had some kids in pewee and bantam who were tough....like beating the adult male gym teacher in arm wrestling strong at 14.

My son thinks hard labor is unloading the dishwasher.....although I am getting him a job at McDonalds as soon as he can!
              We were the same way. Also, growing up in Esterhazy there was no shortage of practice time compared to the kids in the city (might be different now with the co-operators centre). We'd always mop the floor with the city teams at tournaments

Comment

Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

I have played in Beinfait and Wawota they dont come close to Bellgarde on the cold scale.
                Yep. Bellgarde was in a league of it's own. It's been a long time but I think Lampman was colder than Wawota or Beinfait. We complained that Estevan was too warm.

Comment

Originally posted by Attempt View Post

Yep. Bellgarde was in a league of it's own. It's been a long time but I think Lampman was colder than Wawota or Beinfait. We complained that Estevan was too warm.
                  We used to always play a tournament in Minot and too warm was always a huge complaint! Especially after too many cocktails at Arnie's Bar

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X