Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coldest Rink in Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coldest Rink in Saskatchewan

    Annaheim and Edam are going head to head for the title of Saskatchewan's coldest rink. I never played hockey in Edam, but growing up and now living 15 mins away from Annaheim, I played a lot of hockey in that barn - even recently, and it's definitely the coldest I've ever been in.

    https://panow.com/2019/02/21/who-has...-coldest-rink/

    You can vote here: https://battlefordsnow.com/polls-2/

    Voting closes at noon on Feb. 28/19
    Last edited by gersh; 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM.

  • #2
    No Bulyea

    Comment


    • #3
      Bulyea, I concur. Play there this week and it better warm up outside lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Abernethy was the coldest rink I can ever remember. Theodore was awful too.

        Comment


        • #5
          Cold and majestic at Bulyea. Plus you get to scrape !

          Comment


          • #6
            When Balcarres was the Polar Dome it was pretty damn cold but I think they added some insulation. Francis should get at least an honourable mention.

            Comment


            • #7
              If I'm not mistaken , rinks such as Bulyea were built across the province with government subsidies after the WWII soldiers returned home to help communities re bond , re build .

              Comment


              • #8
                Radville was the coldest I ever played (and reffed) in. Reffing was worse cause you don't skate as much as playing.
                Lang was terrible, we called it the Dieseldome cause they had a diesel tractor to clean the ice, and had to leave a big door open to let it air out.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I remember a tournament based out of Ogema, but where we had to play a game in Pangman on a Saturday morning in about 1998. It was -40 outside, their heating system wasn't working right, and I've never been so cold. Everyone was standing on the bench holding their hands up to the (malfunctioning) heaters above between shifts. It was inhumane for us, and I recall most parents sat in their cars for much of the game.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by footballisgood View Post
                    Abernethy was the coldest rink I can ever remember. Theodore was awful too.
                    Theodore was crazy cold back in the day

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by regina View Post
                      Cold and majestic at Bulyea. Plus you get to scrape !
                      Wow!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Bellegarde. No contest.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by regina View Post
                          If I'm not mistaken , rinks such as Bulyea were built across the province with government subsidies after the WWII soldiers returned home to help communities re bond , re build .
                          That's an interesting tidbit. We emigrated to Sudbury in 1951 and AFAIK no buildings containing rinks were built at all postwar. Perhaps it was a Sask initiative.

                          We had the Sudbury Urina, but you had to pay to skate there. That building is still in use!

                          We had lots of outdoor rinks, mostly in school playgrounds. It got pretty cold in Sudbury, but not crazy cold like Sask. And there was usually no wind. That makes a big difference.

                          Edit: Skating at night was a lot of fun. You could look up and see a sky full of stars.
                          Last edited by Sprout; 02-26-2019, 02:58 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I remember playing high school some senior hockey on an outdoor rink. I remember getting dressed in the heated shack and there was a wood burning stove that just cooked you so you could go outside and freeze your nackers off. I remember always having to look for pucks in the snow banks. The lighting was awful especially when it was windy and snowing. Sticks would break just from receiving a pass with a frozen puck.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by inspector7 View Post
                              I remember playing high school some senior hockey on an outdoor rink. I remember getting dressed in the heated shack and there was a wood burning stove that just cooked you so you could go outside and freeze your nackers off. I remember always having to look for pucks in the snow banks. The lighting was awful especially when it was windy and snowing. Sticks would break just from receiving a pass with a frozen puck.
                              Wooden sticks, eh? Were sticks more reasonably priced then? Nowadays I think you have to take out a mortgage to buy them, lol.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X