Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Athletes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Athletes

With Zion Williamson getting injured tonight after his shoe blew apart, just wanted to see what other people’s opinions are on NCAA athletes and compensation.

I’m not saying the schools should be necessarily paying them directly, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a player like Zion cannot make a dollar off of his name. I believe if you are good enough to get an endorsement deal from a company like Nike, Gatorade, etc., why shouldn’t they be able to? Don’t want to ramble on too much, just want to hear some other opinions on the topic.

Tough subject because they are getting quite a bit. An education at these schools doesn’t come cheap and they’re also being fed and housed. It’s not like these kids are getting nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post
      With Zion Williamson getting injured tonight after his shoe blew apart, just wanted to see what other people’s opinions are on NCAA athletes and compensation.

I’m not saying the schools should be necessarily paying them directly, but I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a player like Zion cannot make a dollar off of his name. I believe if you are good enough to get an endorsement deal from a company like Nike, Gatorade, etc., why shouldn’t they be able to? Don’t want to ramble on too much, just want to hear some other opinions on the topic.
      I was always of the idea that they could do such things but that all monies earned from such enterprises must be placed in trust and not touched until the athlete's amateur status is no more.

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post
        Tough subject because they are getting quite a bit. An education at these schools doesn’t come cheap and they’re also being fed and housed. It’s not like these kids are getting nothing.
        They are also only receiving a minuscule amount of compensation compared to the billions of dollars they are allowing schools to make. They need the Olympic model, let them make money from sponsorship deals, etc.
        Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

Comment

Olympians are "Amateur Athletes" and can get paid in endorsement deals, etc. These kids should be allowed to get paid if someone believes they should be (not under the table at least). The NCAA is a multi billion dollar business because of these kids and a 1-3 year fake schooling scholarship isn't a great compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post
            Olympians are "Amateur Athletes" and can get paid in endorsement deals, etc. These kids should be allowed to get paid if someone believes they should be (not under the table at least). The NCAA is a multi billion dollar business because of these kids and a 1-3 year fake schooling scholarship isn't a great compensation.
            It’s not “fake schooling”. These kids should be taking advantage of this situation. The fact that some don’t doesn’t make it fake. When you consider how long people in the US carry student debt with them and the level of it - it’s huge.

I used to be a proponent that they should get paid. But where do you draw the line? How do you decide what’s legitimate and what’s not? Do you really want to make it easier for greasy agents to take advantage of these kids that much sooner? It’s not nearly as simple as just being “allowed to get paid”.

I get the argument that colleges and the ncaa are making money off of this. But a lot of that money goes to benefit the larger group - athletics programs that aren’t as well funded - all of these student athletes benefit from that. So these guys don’t get paid as early in some cases. The argument that they deserve it doesn’t carry a lot of weight. If they do deserve it, they’ll find it at the next level. Otherwise, they better be making the most of that “fake” education.

Comment

It’s not “fake schooling”. These kids should be taking advantage of this situation. The fact that some don’t doesn’t make it fake. When you consider how long people in the US carry student debt with them and the level of it - it’s huge.

I used to be a proponent that they should get paid. But where do you draw the line? How do you decide what’s legitimate and what’s not? Do you really want to make it easier for greasy agents to take advantage of these kids that much sooner? It’s not nearly as simple as just being “allowed to get paid”.

I get the argument that colleges and the ncaa are making money off of this. But a lot of that money goes to benefit the larger group - athletics programs that aren’t as well funded - all of these student athletes benefit from that. So these guys don’t get paid as early in some cases. The argument that they deserve it doesn’t carry a lot of weight. If they do deserve it, they’ll find it at the next level. Otherwise, they better be making the most of that “fake” education.
              The education for the 1% that go on to be stars and therefore the ones making the endorsement deals generally is fake. You think Zion gives a crap about his 1 year of schooling at Duke? These kids are already putting themselves at risk by "definitely not taking 100k to go to Duke, Bama, etc". Legalize boosters or at least allow the elite players get what corporations are willing to pay them. It would maybe even parity because with the current system there is only ever 4 or 5 schools that recruit well enough year in and year out to have a legit title shot.

Jimbo Fisher is about to get paid 7.5 mil to go 9-4 and win a Belk Bowl every year for 9 more years. Bama and Clemsons facilities put pro teams to shame. I dont really need to hear the sob stories large schools give when it comes to elite players being allowed to get paid.
              Last edited by Danny Barrett Apologist; 02-20-2019, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Legalizing boosters would be a horrible idea. Making it easier for individuals to get their hooks into a kid is a recipe for disaster.

And as far as I can tell, the sport with a real parity problem is football. Basketball doesn’t have true parity but the field is relatively wide open.

Comment

For football, a one year scholarship to a place like Alabama or Clemson is probably about the same as a years salary in the CFL for an American rookie. But I find it awful that the scholarships are only one year in length and get renewed every year. It would be way more beneficial to make the scholarships last the entire time they are in school and give them a few extra years to finish the study. The more of these kids coming out with degrees, the better.

Comment

Legalizing boosters would be a horrible idea. Making it easier for individuals to get their hooks into a kid is a recipe for disaster.

And as far as I can tell, the sport with a real parity problem is football. Basketball doesn’t have true parity but the field is relatively wide open.
                    Boosters are already happening and it already results in kids getting screwed either directly like Leo Lewis or indirectly by having the wildly stupid and ineffective NCAA arbitrarily issuing scholarship bans, bowl bans, etc. Football has never seem parity and never will. Every decade has their own version of Bama/Clemson.

Thinking bagman aren't prevalent in every major football and basketball is silly and getting caught only hinders that program and does nothing for any of the others.

It will be a matter of time before the NBA rids itself of the one year of college and allows guys to go to the G League for a year and get paid, the NCAA will be borderline unwatchable* once that happens, they got to do something.

*unwatchable unless you are one of those weirdos that love watching awful Big 10 or Virigina basketball which, gross.*

Comment

Boosters are already happening and it already results in kids getting screwed either directly like Leo Lewis or indirectly by having the wildly stupid and ineffective NCAA arbitrarily issuing scholarship bans, bowl bans, etc. Football has never seem parity and never will. Every decade has their own version of Bama/Clemson.

Thinking bagman aren't prevalent in every major football and basketball is silly and getting caught only hinders that program and does nothing for any of the others.

It will be a matter of time before the NBA rids itself of the one year of college and allows guys to go to the G League for a year and get paid, the NCAA will be borderline unwatchable* once that happens, they got to do something.

*unwatchable unless you are one of those weirdos that love watching awful Big 10 or Virigina basketball which, gross.*
                      Where did I suggest boosters didn’t exist now? You would make the issue way worse if you stated allowing it.

And NCAA is unwatchable for me until March anyways. You’d probably have some go to the G-league but probably not that many. I’m sure lots would stay because they’re playing guys their own age and similar or lesser skill. You look better on paper and improve your draft position by looking good. It’s not like that many guys went straight to the show when there was no one-year rule in place. You didn’t go unless you were assured of a high draft position. Doubtful that would change.

Comment

Where did I suggest boosters didn’t exist now? You would make the issue way worse if you stated allowing it.

And NCAA is unwatchable for me until March anyways. You’d probably have some go to the G-league but probably not that many. I’m sure lots would stay because they’re playing guys their own age and similar or lesser skill. You look better on paper and improve your draft position by looking good. It’s not like that many guys went straight to the show when there was no one-year rule in place. You didn’t go unless you were assured of a high draft position. Doubtful that would change.
                        Zion, Barrett and Reddish would have all been lottery picks last year. Teams would much rather them playing a year with their G League teams learning their system then wasting a year with Calipari or K.

How would allowing boosters be somehow worse than it is already? Right now they are luring kids to schools with cash, cars, and housing. The kids are risking their scholarship if something goes south. It probably works out to be safer in the long run if everything is transparent. By having outside parties pay for players rather than the school all Title IX and tax issues don't get effected. You would likely see Nike pay a kid to consider a Nike school, etc.

How would allowing players getting endorsement deals, or even something simple like having a Twitch/YouTube stream change anything for the worse?

Comment

The problem with allowing them to take sponsorship deals while still an amateur is that companies already start recruiting these kids in their preteens. Watch the documentary "At All Costs" on Netflix about AAU basketball in the States - Nike and Adidas sponsor basketball events all summer, give away free shoes, etc. to try and brand these kids before they even hit high school. These kids end up spending their entire summer travelling, away from home playing ball, and play ball like 10-11 months out of the year. This is without them getting paid, now if companies could start paying amateurs, they would be getting approached at younger ages, and having more demands put on them earlier. It is a dangerous hole to open.

Do I think NCAA players should be paid? Yes. Beyond their scholarship it should be treated as a job, and they should get some money for the amount of time they are required to put into practice, travelling, studying, working out, etc. so that they don't need to worry about working and school work on top of everything. It should be a generic amount that goes to all players.

Once they are at the NCAA level I also don't see any problems with them doing things like autograph signings, etc. but would limit their ability to actually endorse products.

Other technicalities will also come into play, ie: if I sign with Adidas when I am 12, does that mean I need to ignore all scholarship offers from Nike school? Do I potentially put myself out of a full scholarship by signing a shoe deal when I'm too young to know what's going on. More money at a younger age, puts more potential on mom and dad or friends, taking advantage of kids that don't know how to handle it.

It is rare that a top rated prospect suffers an injury in college that ends their pro aspirations, so beyond the example listed above of having players paid as though their career is a second job, I do not see a necessity for massive reform, and would worry that it would actually make things worse for kids getting money before they know how to handle it.

Comment

The education for the 1% that go on to be stars and therefore the ones making the endorsement deals generally is fake. You think Zion gives a crap about his 1 year of schooling at Duke? These kids are already putting themselves at risk by "definitely not taking 100k to go to Duke, Bama, etc". Legalize boosters or at least allow the elite players get what corporations are willing to pay them. It would maybe even parity because with the current system there is only ever 4 or 5 schools that recruit well enough year in and year out to have a legit title shot.

Jimbo Fisher is about to get paid 7.5 mil to go 9-4 and win a Belk Bowl every year for 9 more years. Bama and Clemsons facilities put pro teams to shame. I dont really need to hear the sob stories large schools give when it comes to elite players being allowed to get paid.
                            Isn't Clemson the program with 3 assistant coaches each earning over 1 million per year?

Comment

Originally posted by VoR View Post

Isn't Clemson the program with 3 assistant coaches each earning over 1 million per year?
                              You bet but according to Dabo Swinney paying players would have him walk away from his 5.5 million and soon to get higher contract.

"We try to teach our guys, use football to create the opportunities. Take advantage of the platform and the brand and the marketing you have available to you. But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I'll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is."

Opening up paying players would upset a lot of awful people and that's almost worth it alone. The amount of whining from overpaid babies over the transfer portal has been so good this year.
                              Last edited by Danny Barrett Apologist; 02-21-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X