Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Scotties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excellent article by Ted Wyman on how the tricky ice conditions played into the outcome of the Scotties final.

https://nationalpost.com/curling/tri...ended_articles

i am guessing the much worse than usual ice conditions benefitted hitting teams such as Saskatchewan as well?

Comment

• Blaming the ice is what losers do in curling. Adjusting to the ice conditions and reading the ice is half the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by bohsask View Post
        Blaming the ice is what losers do in curling. Adjusting to the ice conditions and reading the ice is half the game.
        My point, and that of the article as I read it, was about how different ice conditions favour different teams. Hitting teams with a conservative style of play really benefit under “bad ice” conditions as witnessed at this year’s Scottie’s whereas teams that stress a finesse game with more rocks in play do well on consistantly keen and predictable ice with lots of curl.

Following quote from the NP article is meaningful;

The bottom line is there are two teams on the ice and whichever one adjusts better to tricky conditions is usually the winner.

But ice certainly can be a great equalizer. In ideal conditions, it says here Jones makes the playoffs and takes a run at a seventh Canadian title, and Homan makes her first draw in the 10th to win the Scotties championship.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post
          Excited to cheer against Canada at worlds. What a garbage 10th and 11th.
          Sore loser, Homan had ample time even before the 10th end to put team Alberta away. You deserve to lose when you miss your draw in both the 10th and 11th end to win. The ice was the same for both teams, Alberta adjusted, Ontario didn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider1989 View Post

Sore loser, Homan had ample time even before the 10th end to put team Alberta away. You deserve to lose when you miss your draw in both the 10th and 11th end to win. The ice was the same for both teams, Alberta adjusted, Ontario didn't.
            I don't much care who won but I hate Carey and will forever. Not blaming ice, garbage as in the quality of curling by Ontario.
            Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

Comment

• Originally posted by bohsask View Post
              Blaming the ice is what losers do in curling. Adjusting to the ice conditions and reading the ice is half the game.
              The elite teams always get pi$$y when the ice conditions aren't perfect and they actually have to think about it changing. Koe's team was the same way complaining that the Alberta men's provincials were played on club ice and not arena ice

Comment

• These top teams want to be known as the greatest around but as soon as the ice isn't ideal for their likeing then they are whinning and crying if you are so good then adjust to the ice. If you cant then maybe they arnt as good as they think they are. Personally I liked the ice the way it was it made for a much more interesting games! But just a quick question why couldn't they get the ice there to where it normally is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ike View Post
                  These top teams want to be known as the greatest around but as soon as the ice isn't ideal for their likeing then they are whinning and crying if you are so good then adjust to the ice. If you cant then maybe they arnt as good as they think they are. Personally I liked the ice the way it was it made for a much more interesting games! But just a quick question why couldn't they get the ice there to where it normally is?
                  Curlers and golfers are very similar. You see a lot of top golfers complain when conditions aren't as good.

Comment

• If the ice was tricky it makes me even more surprised Homan didn't play the hit. iirc, she didn't have to worry about a guard and it was a fairly short double.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ike View Post
                      These top teams want to be known as the greatest around but as soon as the ice isn't ideal for their likeing then they are whinning and crying if you are so good then adjust to the ice. If you cant then maybe they arnt as good as they think they are. Personally I liked the ice the way it was it made for a much more interesting games! But just a quick question why couldn't they get the ice there to where it normally is?
                      A lot of it has to do with the building itself. Older buildings tend to not have A/C which makes it nearly impossible to control the humidity, especially in a place like Nova Scotia

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X