Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time to replace the Brandt Center?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to replace the Brandt Center?

Queen City Sports and Entertainment Group which owns the Regina Pats is prepared to put its money where its mouth is when it comes to replacing the Brandt Centre.

To answer the question, yes we do.

I'd love it if we got something downtown or in the warehouse district. Not sure how feasible that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
      To answer the question, yes we do.

I'd love it if we got something downtown or in the warehouse district. Not sure how feasible that is?
      Where the original replacement for Mosaic went? The footprint would be smaller wouldn't it?

Comment

I would love to go to some Pats games, but there is no close transit. (I don't drive when it is dark). It is a damned long walk to and from Dewdney Ave.

If a more transit friendly location could be suggested, I would support it.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Where the original replacement for Mosaic went? The footprint would be smaller wouldn't it?
          That would be a great location. They wouldn't need to use all of the space that was originally required for the stadium. Other businesses could be developed around it.

Comment

That would be a great location. They wouldn't need to use all of the space that was originally required for the stadium. Other businesses could be developed around it.
            And they could better join downtown with the warehouse district.

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

And they could better join downtown with the warehouse district.
              Definitely, one of the city's goals with their new Regina plan as well.

Comment

If an arena went into a portion of that space, people have to realize it would not be surrounded by parking lots to fully accommodate it, as that's not what the current development plan is considering. They want retail, public green spaces and downtown residential looped into that space too. The parking issue would be like Moose Jaw's on steroids. The plan to reduce the number of traffic lanes on Dewdney and widen sidewalks to make it more pedestrian friendly could impede traffic in and out.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsey2k View Post
                    If an arena went into a portion of that space, people have to realize it would not be surrounded by parking lots to fully accommodate it, as that's not what the current development plan is considering. They want retail, public green spaces and downtown residential looped into that space too. The parking issue would be like Moose Jaw's on steroids. The plan to reduce the number of traffic lanes on Dewdney and widen sidewalks to make it more pedestrian friendly could impede traffic in and out.
                    Even better. A massive parking lot downtown would be awful.

Whatever they do, just don't put this thing in the suburbs. Stadiums or arenas on the edge of cities rarely work.

Comment

Even better. A massive parking lot downtown would be awful.

Whatever they do, just don't put this thing in the suburbs. Stadiums or arenas on the edge of cities rarely work.
                      Aren't there enough empty lots in downtown Regina within a 15 min walk already?

Comment

I agree. If the Railyard wasn't possible, in a perfect world, buy up abandoned run-down properties on Broad Street between 11th and 12th and tie it into the heated above ground pedway system. Pie in the sky though.

Comment

I can't see where the funding is going to come from for this.
                          Rec report came out recently, prioritizing fixing pools (indoor/outdoor), ball diamonds, soccer fields, spray pads, etc.
                          A new arena doesn't fit with any of that.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
                            I can't see where the funding is going to come from for this.
                            Rec report came out recently, prioritizing fixing pools (indoor/outdoor), ball diamonds, soccer fields, spray pads, etc.
                            A new arena doesn't fit with any of that.
                            Put it to a vote of the tax payers that will have to pay the bill.
                            Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

What would the tax increase be to the average Regina home owner? $5 a month ... maybe? Let's do it and have some top notch sports and entertainment venues in our city.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X