Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kootney Ice might be moving to Winnipeg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BC Green View Post

Did the yes vote go through?
    Nope.

Just to clarify I meant the 17/18 season. They would have played in Nanaimos old rink (Clippers one) until the new one was built.

Comment

Yes that's their plan. Winnipeg Ice. https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...505042732.html
      Oh cool thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Nope.

Just to clarify I meant the 17/18 season. They would have played in Nanaimos old rink (Clippers one) until the new one was built.
        Oh ok. Yeah it was no secret that Jeff Chynoweth was trying to sell. Big City boy hated the small community and all that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider1989 View Post

Was talking to a bronco fan at a Warrior game right after Christmas and he was saying most in Swift Current are against moving to the central division as it means longer road trips for the players and playing a good portion of your seasons away games in a different time zone, 1 hr makes a big difference to the players that have school the next day after a trip to Lethbridge of Calgary.
          Not dissimilar from what the Brandon Wheat Kings have been dealing with since day one of thier existence.
          Last edited by Green in Queen City; 02-02-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I wish a mod would correct the title of this thread. It is Kootenay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post
              I wish a mod would correct the title of this thread. It is Kootenay.
              Ya sorry Sprout , my spelling was never my strong subject haha

Comment

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

Ya sorry Sprout , my spelling was never my strong subject haha
                Hey, your talents lie in other areas, so I am not slinging any mud your way. OTOH, I used to get 100s in spelling when they graded such things, but barely scraped by in algebra and geometry until thankfully being able to drop them like a hot spud in Gr 11.

It's too bad that this version of the forum doesn't allow the OP to correct a title. But that's progress. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Hey, your talents lie in other areas, so I am not slinging any mud your way. OTOH, I used to get 100s in spelling when they graded such things, but barely scraped by in algebra and geometry until thankfully being able to drop them like a hot spud in Gr 11.

It's too bad that this version of the forum doesn't allow the OP to correct a title. But that's progress. LOL
                  I don't think the old one did either.

Comment

Not sure where you got that idea about Nanaimo. The WHL quite liked the location of Cranbrook. It broke the travelling up for teams from the prairies going to the U.S. and into BC....and vice versa.
                    Some teams travelling through would practice here when the Ice were on the road.
                    Unfortunately Jeff Chynoweth lost the connection with the fans here to the point that some season ticket holders refused to renew their tickets. The fans here respected and embraced Ed, but after he passed away it started to go downhill.
                    Lots of rumors were going around about several offers to buy the Ice. Some feel that Jeff sold to these guys from Winnipeg knowing full well that they planned on moving the team right from the start. Two Winnipeg Ice domains were purchased a few weeks after the sale of the team went through. They had a 2 year plan to make it happen, and they did just that. There are a lot of angry long time season ticket holders here. Many of them had their tickets for 20 years, since the Ice first arrived.
                    When the domain news broke, a committee here raised over $18,000 dollars in 10 days, but the new owners refused to comment or have anything to do with the committee, so the committee stopped raising money and returned what money they raised because the new owners showed no interest in what they were doing.
                    When they held the press conference to announce that the team was moving, it was for the media only. Probably safer for them, as everybody knew they were lying through their teeth to get what they wanted. There are lots of articles out there to verify how the new owners went about it.
                    It was suggested that they call themselves the Winnipeg Weasels
                    Once the team was sold to Fettis, there was no way he was keeping it in Kootenay... I'm surprised it took as long as it did for people to figure that out.

I also don't envision that the AHL team will stay much longer as fans don't really care to watch that hockey, and attendance has been tumbling. The only reason they keep it, is that they like having their AHL team in the same city.

I think a WHL is a more viable hockey option anyway. If fans can't afford, or find NHL tickets, IMO they would rather watch up and comers, as opposed to a bunch of guys who are unlikely to make it - sprinkled with a few prospects.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

Once the team was sold to Fettis, there was no way he was keeping it in Kootenay... I'm surprised it took as long as it did for people to figure that out.

I also don't envision that the AHL team will stay much longer as fans don't really care to watch that hockey, and attendance has been tumbling. The only reason they keep it, is that they like having their AHL team in the same city.

I think a WHL is a more viable hockey option anyway. If fans can't afford, or find NHL tickets, IMO they would rather watch up and comers, as opposed to a bunch of guys who are unlikely to make it - sprinkled with a few prospects.

Many fans bought his B.S. that they would do everything they could to keep the team here. He did some good things to get the attendance up for about 2 months. Where he fumbled the ball was after purchasing the 2 Winnipeg Ice domains just a few weeks after the sale.... which became public knowledge very quickly. Then the digging into what was going on in Winnipeg began. The trust began to disappear.
                      His partner , who is trying to impersonate a General Manager started making bizarre trades....many here felt they were buying votes from the other teams by trading away better players than they received in return. Everything they were doing had Manitoba flavor. They refused to speak to the media about the rumors, and finally when they refused to comment or even acknowledge the committee raising that much money in just 10 days......everyone knew they were in full relocation mode. Of course they tried to avoid the media as long as they could to risk a complete lack of support for the remainder of the season.
                      Season ticket holders will continue to go to the rest of the games, but won't spend their money inside the rink.
                      I feel sorry for the players and their families through all this garbage. This was just an UGLY transaction, and the WHL should be embarrassed how it all unfolded.

Comment

Is there a good way to relocate a team that doesn't piss off fans in the current location? It seems like it is a losing scenario no matter how it is handled, unless you can somehow keep it secret until the off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                          Is there a good way to relocate a team that doesn't piss off fans in the current location? It seems like it is a losing scenario no matter how it is handled, unless you can somehow keep it secret until the off-season.
                          Ask the Baltimore Colts how that works out...

Comment

Originally posted by go riders View Post

Ask the Baltimore Colts how that works out...
                            True. There is really no good way to do it. One thing you can say about the way the Colts did it is that it didn't affect their attendance in Baltimore.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                              I would agree... it's a losing battle. Not to mention, they also didn't want to say "Hey, we bought the team and in two years we are moving it."

They want to keep people coming for as long as they could, to offset their loses - which is a bit of a sham given how much money Greg has. But you don't get rich by being careless with money, so they played the game of how they really wanted to make it work n Kootenay, and Matt even moved family down!

Ultimately, this was all part of the plan. They have a pretty interested plan in place in Winnipeg, with some interesting partners... I think the AHL team moves in the near future unless the Jets really, really wanted them there.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

I would agree... it's a losing battle. Not to mention, they also didn't want to say "Hey, we bought the team and in two years we are moving it."

They want to keep people coming for as long as they could, to offset their loses - which is a bit of a sham given how much money Greg has. But you don't get rich by being careless with money, so they played the game of how they really wanted to make it work n Kootenay, and Matt even moved family down!

Ultimately, this was all part of the plan. They have a pretty interested plan in place in Winnipeg, with some interesting partners... I think the AHL team moves in the near future unless the Jets really, really wanted them there.
                                The issue for the Jets is that they want the AHL team nearby, but Winnipeg is fairly isolated. Brandon isn't an AHL market. I'm not sure if Fargo or Grand Forks would be either. There have always been rumours that they'd look at Saskatoon or Regina, but I think if they thought that'd work out, it would've already happened.

Rumour has it that they wanted their AHL team in Thunder Bay, but that was contingent on a new arena project proceeding. Thunder Bay is too isolated to be in any junior league, so the AHL would be their best hope of having a team. The Jets would need to subsidise the high travel costs because the team is distant from the rest of the league, but that isn't any different than when it was in Newfoundland or even now when it is in Winnipeg.

Junior hockey doesn't have a great track record when competing against a local NHL team. The Vancouver Giants were a success story at first, using the second NHL sized arena in Vancouver, but their attendance dropped off until they moved to a smaller arena in Langley. The Ice franchise started out as the Edmonton Ice, and failed in their competition with the Oilers. The Oilers didn't want them there, and made them play in a substandard rink. That is why they were moved to Cranbrook in the first place. In Calgary, the Hitmen started out as independent, but the Flames supported them because they filled arena dates at the Saddledome. They ultimately bought them after 3 years. The current Edmonton Oil Kings came about because the Oilers saw how well Calgary and Vancouver were doing, and tried for years to buy and relocate a WHL team until they finally were granted an expansion franchise.

I really wonder whether the Winnipeg Ice ownership can compete against both the Jets and Moose, in a market that is smaller than Edmonton. They'll also have one of the highest travel costs in the entire league. I'd be a lot more optimistic if True North owned or partnered with this team.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X