Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kootney Ice might be moving to Winnipeg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nernzi19 View Post

The Oilers and Flames own the WHL teams in those cities and thatís why it works, and the reason the Ice left previously. If True North Sports and Entertainment buys the WHL franchise, they wonít be in competition with anyone. Itíll be another branch of the same company. No smart businessman would buy the team and try to complete with the NHL and AHL directly.
    If all three leagues were in the same city, they are competing for a lot of the same fan dollars.

Comment

The key part you mentioned is that True North owns the building, which not many places have. The ownership group makes money off of many things other than hockey, so having average attendance to the AHL games likely isnít much of a concern
      Yep. Because of that, there is no urgency for the Jets to move the Moose anywhere else. The two drivers for that would be finding an even better situation, or freeing up arena dates. Most arena operator would love having the extra 38 dates that the Moose provide, but it might not be as big of a deal in Winnipeg. MTS Place was one of the busiest arenas in Canada, even before they had an NHL and AHL team, so they might not be as worried about losing the guaranteed bookings as you'd think. However, it is pretty convenient for them that they can keep the arena in a hockey configuration for so much of the winter.

Comment

The key part you mentioned is that True North owns the building, which not many places have. The ownership group makes money off of many things other than hockey, so having average attendance to the AHL games likely isnít much of a concern
        Yep. Because of that, there is no urgency for the Jets to move the Moose anywhere else. The two drivers for relocating them would be finding an even better situation, or freeing up arena dates for more lucrative events.

Most arena operator would love having the extra 38+ dates that the Moose provide, but it might not be as big of a deal in Winnipeg. MTS Place was one of the busiest arenas in Canada, even before they had an NHL and AHL team, so they might not be as worried about losing the guaranteed bookings as you'd think. However, it is pretty convenient for them that they can keep the arena in a hockey configuration for so much of the winter. The AHL may not be lucrative for them, but it also isn't costing them a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

If all three leagues were in the same city, they are competing for a lot of the same fan dollars.
          Theyíd actually be working together if they were owned by the same business group. Think of it as 3 different ways to bring in the same pool of fan money

Comment

To be announced tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
              To be announced tomorrow
              Looks like Swift back to the Central division.

I know there's a few Bronco fans on here. I wonder how they feel being in the Alberta division versus the SK division.

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

Looks like Swift back to the Central division.

I know there's a few Bronco fans on here. I wonder how they feel being in the Alberta division versus the SK division.
                Not a Bronco fan but it's hard to think a rivalry with the Tigers and Canes will be like it was with Moose Jaw and Regina.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Not a Bronco fan but it's hard to think a rivalry with the Tigers and Canes will be like it was with Moose Jaw and Regina.
                  I've only heard it from one person but he said the Broncos biggest rival was Medicine Hat.

Comment

As a Broncos fan im a bit choked to be going back to the Central, but i get it. I love match ups against Moose Jaw and especially Regina. Playoffs especially. But i feel that way cause its easier for ME to get to MJ and Regina. Go Broncos Go!

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

I've only heard it from one person but he said the Broncos biggest rival was Medicine Hat.
                      As a Red Deer Rebel fan, I absolutely hate the Medicine Hat Tigers! They seem to always have a good team, no ups and downs like everyone else.

Comment

Just checked online, and Winnipeg's CMA is 855,600.

That just doesn't seem like enough people to support all 3 NHL, AHL, WHL teams to me. Never mind the Bombers and Goldeyes. Maybe the Moose move out of town soon?

Comment

Originally posted by T-bone68 View Post

As a Red Deer Rebel fan, I absolutely hate the Medicine Hat Tigers! They seem to always have a good team, no ups and downs like everyone else.
                          That's what pats fans say about Brandon, they always seem to be able to sell junk for top dollar and are always kinda good, good or great.

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Lived in both cities and I'd have to say they have a pretty good rivalry with Medicine Hat

Comment

Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

That's what pats fans say about Brandon, they always seem to be able to sell junk for top dollar and are always kinda good, good or great.
                              I know what you're saying but I actually looked it up and they almost have an even amount of winning and losing seasons in the past 15 years.

I think it's probably moreso because 1) they are always ahead of the Pats lol and 2) while they've had losing seasons they haven't had any disastrous seasons (50+ losses) like all the SK teams seem to have all too often.

Comment

Originally posted by rubixpube View Post
                                Just checked online, and Winnipeg's CMA is 855,600.

That just doesn't seem like enough people to support all 3 NHL, AHL, WHL teams to me. Never mind the Bombers and Goldeyes. Maybe the Moose move out of town soon?
                                The Moose aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The Jets love having them in Winnipeg

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X