Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 World Juniors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
    Canada is doing something wrong. Over 30 mil pop and 3300 indoor rinks.....Finland 5mil pop and 268 indoor rinks wins 3out last 6 championships.
    Meh Canada won two of the other three and played for the third one. Finland is having a good run right now. Not sure that speaks that negatively on Canada.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

I think in some ways lessening the “weight” of the maple leaf on their chest is in order. We don’t need the extreme emotional investment in this tournament that TSN always tries to push. They lost, that’s fine, they’re all still amazing players, and the people who are overly upset about it need to rearrange their priorities a bit.
      Lessen the weight of the maple leaf?
      I’m sorry but I don’t get this statement. That weight is the pride. If there is one thing we don’t need in this country it is less pride in our country.
      The people who get overly upset need to control themselves as far as personal attacks. That part I can agree with.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjrxs View Post

Lessen the weight of the maple leaf?
        I’m sorry but I don’t get this statement. That weight is the pride. If there is one thing we don’t need in this country it is less pride in our country.
        The people who get overly upset need to control themselves as far as personal attacks. That part I can agree with.
        Expressing pride in our country is one thing, but doing it through a bunch of teenagers on the world stage isn't fair to them. Whether we win or lose this tournament makes no difference to what kind of country Canada is, let's not act like it does. Watching hockey over the holidays is supposed to be fun, and not a war, deserving of belittling the players because they didn't win. I think we can just tone this all down as far as the hype goes, take some pressure off them. Same with the Olympics, its certainly nice to see Canada win a gold medal, but its even better to hear what these athletes have put themselves through for little to no monetary gain, and cheering that aspect instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

Expressing pride in our country is one thing, but doing it through a bunch of teenagers on the world stage isn't fair to them. Whether we win or lose this tournament makes no difference to what kind of country Canada is, let's not act like it does. Watching hockey over the holidays is supposed to be fun, and not a war, deserving of belittling the players because they didn't win. I think we can just tone this all down as far as the hype goes, take some pressure off them. Same with the Olympics, its certainly nice to see Canada win a gold medal, but its even better to hear what these athletes have put themselves through for little to no monetary gain, and cheering that aspect instead.
          Personal hate attacks are bullcrap. Wanting to win goes with the territory. There is not a Junior hockey player in Canada thst doesn't wish they were picked on that team.

Comment

• This is a reply to the person who sent me a visitor message the other night, asking if I was able to pick up what the Finnish team was saying, in Finnish, after the victory. Sorry, but I can't view that message any more.

It was a lot of attaboys, but everyone was shouting over everyone else, so I can't really translate although I understand Finnish. The mood was yay upbeat, though.

Go Canada!

Comment

• Since I and a few others made it clear we don't like Hunter, I find this kind of funny so I thought I'd share it. Kootenay (what a dumpster fire they've become) reportedly fired their assistant coach (he's not even Canadian, but Czech) over tweets he made criticizing Tim Hunter.

As for what was said on Twitter: “I feel for them but you don’t deserve a thing in sport -earn it!!! Out coached!!” Vopat tweeted in a response to a tweet complaining of Canada’s loss to Finland.

He also commented on Hunter’s choice to have team captain Maxime Comtois, who it was revealed after the tourney had been playing with a shoulder injury, take the team’s penalty shot in awarded in overtime.

“He isn’t the natural goal scorer like Glass, Leason, Frost or Tippett so put him in that situation was a bad move by Hunter,” Vopat wrote.
              A day before those tweets, Vopat called out Hunter for publicly criticizing young Canadian up-and-comer Alexis Lafrenière, but not commenting on Comtois receiving an embellishment penalty.

“You know my problem I have with all this—he challenged 17-year-old on national TV, paper and social media about not performing but he doesn’t have the guts to call out his captain on diving all over the place,” Vopat wrote in response to a tweet by former NHL player Kyle Wellwood, who tweeted: “Why would an old school coach not say something to Max about is (sic) diving. @4thlinevoice I was at the game last night and his behaviour was embarrassing. No wonder they ran up the score 14-0 Against Denmark, he led the charge with the “C” on his sweater.”
              Last edited by tommy_boy; 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                Canada is doing something wrong. Over 30 mil pop and 3300 indoor rinks.....Finland 5mil pop and 268 indoor rinks wins 3out last 6 championships.
                not sure if your serious or stirring the pot ……………… Finns have a good program and have won 3 golds in the past 10 tournaments but have also missed the medals 7 times over that period

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Thank you! (Not that I did anything to achieve it, lol.)

But I would like to give some thoughts about what this tournament meant personally to me even though I am also extremely proud to be Canadian. It was the embodiment of SIsu (pronounced SEE soo; Finnish is always accented on the first syllable). roughly translated as guts in the face of adversity.

For me, it meant the accomplishment of years of trying and always getting close, but never the golden slipper. Bridesmaid, not the bride.

I found a really good article about the Finnish system. Perhaps the system works better with reverse economies of scale. Take a small western democracy whose 5.5M population is mostly homogeneous. Canada might learn something about player development.

Next year will be an entirely different opportunity for all teams and nations.

Canada, USA and Russia all in pool B along with Czechs and Germans …………… very little room for error for any of the big 3

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X