Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 World Juniors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Finns win 3-2. Sprout should be happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post
      The Finns win 3-2. Sprout should be happy.
      I am indeed. Yippee!

Comment

• Congrats Finland and by extension Sprout

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

Funny how one of Gretzky's records is total NHL points???
          Points including playoffs is actually a secondary record. The “points” record doesn’t include playoffs.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-records...etzky/c-384583

Comment

• Originally posted by drysaddle View Post
            Congrats Finland and by extension Sprout
            Thank you! (Not that I did anything to achieve it, lol.)

But I would like to give some thoughts about what this tournament meant personally to me even though I am also extremely proud to be Canadian. It was the embodiment of SIsu (pronounced SEE soo; Finnish is always accented on the first syllable). roughly translated as guts in the face of adversity.

For me, it meant the accomplishment of years of trying and always getting close, but never the golden slipper. Bridesmaid, not the bride.

I found a really good article about the Finnish system. Perhaps the system works better with reverse economies of scale. Take a small western democracy whose 5.5M population is mostly homogeneous. Canada might learn something about player development.

Next year will be an entirely different opportunity for all teams and nations.
            Last edited by Sprout; 01-06-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• A hab prospect was named top defenceman and another top forward in the tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post
                A hab prospect was named top defenceman and another top forward in the tournament
                Poehling was Tournament MVP. A very good tournament for Hab prospects.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

Yup I think we had something like 7 prospects in the tournament

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

Primeau played well too.

Comment

• Ylonen as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

Thank you! (Not that I did anything to achieve it, lol.)

But I would like to give some thoughts about what this tournament meant personally to me even though I am also extremely proud to be Canadian. It was the embodiment of SIsu (pronounced SEE soo; Finnish is always accented on the first syllable). roughly translated as guts in the face of adversity.

For me, it meant the accomplishment of years of trying and always getting close, but never the golden slipper. Bridesmaid, not the bride.

I found a really good article about the Finnish system. Perhaps the system works better with reverse economies of scale. Take a small western democracy whose 5.5M population is mostly homogeneous. Canada might learn something about player development.

Next year will be an entirely different opportunity for all teams and nations.
                        The bridesmaid not the bride narrative doesn’t fit. Finland has won three of the last six gold medals at WJC.

Comment

Ylonen as well
                          OMG, but those are hard names for announcers to voice. Think of the French u for the Y. The closest I can give is OO - lo-nen.Luckily, all the young kids in Finnish schools are being taught Enlgish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprout View Post

OMG, but those are hard names for announcers to voice. Think of the French u for the Y. The closest I can give is OO - lo-nen.Luckily, all the young kids in Finnish schools are being taught Enlgish.
                            Ya and how about Pakko Kakko

Comment

Ya and how about Pakko Kakko
                              That is a hoot. You pronounce it PUCK-o KUH-ko. t sort of tranlslate as forced cake. Kakko means cake in Finnish. Pakko is what you do under duress. LOL. Ah, language!

Comment

• Canada is doing something wrong. Over 30 mil pop and 3300 indoor rinks.....Finland 5mil pop and 268 indoor rinks wins 3out last 6 championships.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X