Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nylander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

Fair I suppose. I'm still feeling good about it as a non fan but a huge supporter in "pay the young guys, not the old". Hope it works out because I'd rather Toronto and Tampa succeed then anyone else in that God awful division full of trash cities or teams (looking disgustingly at Buffalo).
    I agree normally but when you are a team with high end talent you pay the centers first, then the high end wingers. And when you have two good centers and two high end wingers well the 2nd winger just has to be forced into a lower contract not an above market contract. It just doesn't seem right to me that Nylander makes more than a guy like Pastrnak when he isn't nearly as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post

It just doesn't seem right to me that Nylander makes more than a guy like Pastrnak when he isn't nearly as good.
      Meh, I'll never fault a guy for getting paid. He knows Marner and Matthew's are gonna get theirs and he didn't want his money to look stupid low compared to them. Not his fault Patrnak didn't get his fair share. Anytime something like this happens and billionaire owners are forced to pay more, I'm all for it.
      Please be my new father.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

Meh, I'll never fault a guy for getting paid. He knows Marner and Matthew's are gonna get theirs and he didn't want his money to look stupid low compared to them. Not his fault Patrnak didn't get his fair share. Anytime something like this happens and billionaire owners are forced to pay more, I'm all for it.
        You do get it doesn't actually cost those billionaire owners anything extra right?? Marner and Matthew's Should get paid, they are superstars while Nylander might be a star. It's by holding the line with stars that teams are able to afford superstars. I don't fault Nylander either, this one's on Dubas.

Comment

You do get it doesn't actually cost those billionaire owners anything extra right???
          The cap means they are paying it no matter what but if it keeps driving salaries up for borderline top end talent that's good and funny because now I get to watch awful GMs spend their team into cap hell because Owners are too awful to have a league without a salary cap because "parity is good, and this is definitely not so we don't have to spend money". Off topic now and I've spent enough time arguing about a team I dont care enough about.

Please be my new father.

Comment

Nylander is a good player and not a spoiled brat. No problem with him but we live in a Salary Cap world and that contract is going to hurt both the Cap and the contracts the next two guys want, and they are both better than Nylander. It's really hard to afford a 2nd line winger make $7 million.
            This^^^^

I expect they will move him by the deadline. Although he has scored what, one goal, since returning?? In a long drought, regardless ....

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

This^^^^

I expect they will move him by the deadline. Although he has scored what, one goal, since returning?? In a long drought, regardless ....
              Players are getting frustrated by Escrow so one of these years they are going to wise up and not use the Escalator in the CBA . That is going to really leave a few teams in a bind including the Leaf's. It really is most of the League losing so a few high end guys can win.

Comment

I think they will eventually trade him for a d man.

Comment

I think Nylander is staying. I think the Leaf's will try to find new homes for Brown and Zaitsev and explore every possible way to get out of Marleau for next season. Let Hainsey and Gardiner walk. No idea if they can accomplish any of it???

Comment

Players are getting frustrated by Escrow so one of these years they are going to wise up and not use the Escalator in the CBA . That is going to really leave a few teams in a bind including the Leaf's. It really is most of the League losing so a few high end guys can win.
                    What does escrow have to do with the escalator clause?

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

What does escrow have to do with the escalator clause?
                      The Escalator Clause gives the players the Right to increase salaries by 5% each year with the owners holding back a percentage(Escrow) until they are certain of the actual salary Cap for that year. Salary Cap has not traditionally kept up with the Escalator. Escrow has been around the 10% mark for last few years so a player who signed for 1 million actually only makes 900K. A 10 million player only gets 9 million which sounds a lot worse but just imagine without comparing it to yourself a player who gets only 4 or 5 years in League at League minimum. The $300K they lost to Escrow during their career would sure be nice for them in Life after hockey.

Part of the problem is Free Agents each summer want the higher contracts on the hope the Cap actually doesn't require Escrow although history shows that to be unlikely.
                      Last edited by Bates; 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X