Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Blue jays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
    Vlad is not going to play until the team gains another year of control. A wise move. Other teams do it with top prospects.
    Wise for the long haul but still absolute horse **** and I hope service time is overhauled completely in the new CBA.
    Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

Wise for the long haul but still absolute horse **** and I hope service time is overhauled completely in the new CBA.
      Don't worry Vlad will make a boat load of loot in his career. I don't feel sorry for the poor hard done by players at all. Realistically this 2-3 weeks he will miss isn't going to make much difference in the Jay's season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post

Don't worry Vlad will make a boat load of loot in his career. I don't feel sorry for the poor hard done by players at all. Realistically this 2-3 weeks he will miss isn't going to make much difference in the Jay's season.
        I don't care how much money he makes. I want to watch the most entertaining and best players available, I want teams to at least pretend to try to field a winner even when we all know that's not there concern. Glad we can save billionaires a couple of bucks by manipulating service time.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post
          I understand Guerrero is a highly touted talent but one player cannot do everything. The Angels have had Mike Trout who is arguably the best ball player in MLB and they have struggled to get wins. It's going to be lean in Toronto for quite a while until they get more pieces than a hard hitting 3rd baseman. It could turn into the Carlos Delgado days where the team sucks except for one or two bright spots. There's way too much franchise hope resting on this one player right now.
          The team has a lot of other high end prospects. The hope is that they will all develop with extended playing time over the next few seasons, and in a couple years, you will have a good young core, with the cornerstone being one of the top players in Vlad Jr. along with some vets such as Pillar/Stroman/Sanchez to tie the thing together. Obviously everything needs to break right for that to happen, but I see it more as just pinning the hope on one guy that has 0 major league at bats to his name.

Gurriel Jr/Hernandez/Janssen/Borucki/Reid-Foley/Bichette/Bagwell - and I'm sure guys that follow the minor leagues more can add to that list - lots of good young talent for the team to develop in the next year or two

Comment

Why wouldn't you take a flyer on a guy who bounced back nice? Could fetch a decent return in July/August if he shows any signs of life and if not he can easily be DFAd.
            Since the Jays do not figure to contend in the next year or two, I would rather see those innings go to young guys to help them develop, rather than an injury prone vet. I understand where you are coming from, and you are right that if he has a good first half of the season, than he is likely traded part way through the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve04 View Post

Since the Jays do not figure to contend in the next year or two, I would rather see those innings go to young guys to help them develop, rather than an injury prone vet. I understand where you are coming from, and you are right that if he has a good first half of the season, than he is likely traded part way through the year.
              Rebuild or not, you can never have too many arms. Sanchez isnt a model of durability, Shoemaker is a huge question mark, Clayton Richard sucks, the kids will get their innings regardless I'm sure.

Comment

There is 1 reason to go to games this year, and it's 3rd base.
                Why? Who is going to play 3B? If Vlad is up early in the year he'll be at 1B or DH only. These two positions are likely his future anyway.

Comment

Rebuild or not, you can never have too many arms. Sanchez isnt a model of durability, Shoemaker is a huge question mark, Clayton Richard sucks, the kids will get their innings regardless I'm sure.
                  It's also better for the young pitchers to get their innings at an appropriate level. It does them no good to be forced onto the major league roster if they are not ready for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

Why? Who is going to play 3B? If Vlad is up early in the year he'll be at 1B or DH only. These two positions are likely his future anyway.
                    Maybe we are just big Brandon Drury guys.

Comment

Why do you think that?

Comment

It's also better for the young pitchers to get their innings at an appropriate level. It does them no good to be forced onto the major league roster if they are not ready for it.
                        Exactly. Throw em to the wolves too early and you could ruin them.

Comment

this is a pretty important observation. We can have these young pitchers (or field players) ride the pine at the bottom of a log jam of players and get no reps or have them start the season in AAA getting a lot of decent quality reps. And in the case of our pitching staff (and middle infielders), we have a lot of recently injury prone wild cards. Only a matter of time before one or 2 go down and then we move a guy up who has been getting regular reps all year as a starter into that role. It's one thing to dive in feet first to learn...it's another thing to be thrown in head first because there are no other options. What is we start these young guys and they hit a major rut along the way? We move them down to AAA to get their stride back and replace them with an even more inexperienced player at that level? Even in Vlad's case...he's not exactly tearing it up in Spring Training. He's doing okay especially given his age but he's not a 100% no questions asked MLB starter like most want to see.

Comment

Why do you think that?
                            There's no denying his talent as a hitter, but he is still a work in progress at 3B and appears to be out-growing the position.

Comment

There's no denying his talent as a hitter, but he is still a work in progress at 3B and appears to be out-growing the position.
                              Would be nice to see him move into DH when he first comes up so we can utilize his at bats (and get rid of Morales), and then he can take reps at 3B in practice/rotation until he shores up his defense.

Comment

• It would appear realistically 1rst will end up being Vlad's position. If opportunity presents itself a trade with Smosk would be in order.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X