Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Blue jays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by pappcam View Post

    Or it could be said that the Jays are paying Tulo $20 million to play for the Yankees
    It could be, but in a non capped league, and rich corporate owners, those numbers donít mean much. Rogers likely earned more than what they have paid for Tulo over the years, so whatever. Enjoy him Yankees, I doubt he makes it beyond spring training.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by squish View Post

      It could be, but in a non capped league, and rich corporate owners, those numbers donít mean much. Rogers likely earned more than what they have paid for Tulo over the years, so whatever. Enjoy him Yankees, I doubt he makes it beyond spring training.
      Rich corporate owners don't like to throw money away, which is demonstrated by the fact that most teams don't like to pay the luxury tax and try to stay under the threshold.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by squish View Post

        It could be, but in a non capped league, and rich corporate owners, those numbers donít mean much. Rogers likely earned more than what they have paid for Tulo over the years, so whatever. Enjoy him Yankees, I doubt he makes it beyond spring training.
        Depends on whether they sign Machafo I think. Gregorioís is out until June at least.

        Comment


        • #64
          Heard the Nationals offered Harper much more than $30mill over 10 years. Sounds like an A-Rod ending to me if it actually happens.

          Comment


          • #65
            Russell Martin traded to Los Angeles ....

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Greenwall View Post
              Russell Martin traded to Los Angeles ....
              Bummer. I see the need for it, but still...

              Comment


              • #67
                Brito looks like an interesting prospect in return for Martin.
                Last edited by Marcus Aurelius; 01-13-2019, 11:07 AM.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Couple lottery tickets for Russ and probably $16 million in cash.

                  Not sad to see him go but he was a really valuable part of the runs in 15 and 16.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Realistically the team will suck this year. Might as well give the youngsters the time. Thanks for your time Russ!

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Scotty c View Post
                      Couple lottery tickets for Russ and probably $16 million in cash.

                      Not sad to see him go but he was a really valuable part of the runs in 15 and 16.
                      I totally agree. Danny Jansen was going to play next year anyway, but the emergence of Maille made this deal necessary. He is a good backup and could be good for a while

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        It's a pretty good scam that Roger's can pretend eating Tulo and Martin's salaries is enough reason to not take a chance on any player in an intriguing FA class.
                        Please be my new father.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post
                          It's a pretty good scam that Roger's can pretend eating Tulo and Martin's salaries is enough reason to not take a chance on any player in an intriguing FA class.
                          its the same narrative for every team. there is a reason Machado and Harper haven't signed anywhere yet. Teams are hesitant to give out long term deals that kill them on the back end. And Harper and Machado are unicorns, entering free agency at 26, and neither seems likely to get the 10 year deal they were looking for. shelling those out at this time does not make sense for the Jays until the kids prove what they can do. its the same way most teams are building these days

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Buddahboy View Post

                            its the same narrative for every team. there is a reason Machado and Harper haven't signed anywhere yet. Teams are hesitant to give out long term deals that kill them on the back end. And Harper and Machado are unicorns, entering free agency at 26, and neither seems likely to get the 10 year deal they were looking for. shelling those out at this time does not make sense for the Jays until the kids prove what they can do. its the same way most teams are building these days
                            I'm not saying Machado or Harper (that is a whole other probably collusion but not collusion for another time). Literally every top 100 FA would be an upgrade over their current projected opening day roster. It always boggles my mind that we give teams a free pass to trot out AAA talent to win 58 games, collect a ton of cash that we know will never go back into the team, and leave reasonably priced upgrades for other teams. We are entering a season where "Blue Jays Ace" Matt Shoemaker has a real possibility.

                            You're right though, it isn't just a Toronto thing it's league wide, and it's such garbage.
                            Please be my new father.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

                              I'm not saying Machado or Harper (that is a whole other probably collusion but not collusion for another time). Literally every top 100 FA would be an upgrade over their current projected opening day roster. It always boggles my mind that we give teams a free pass to trot out AAA talent to win 58 games, collect a ton of cash that we know will never go back into the team, and leave reasonably priced upgrades for other teams. We are entering a season where "Blue Jays Ace" Matt Shoemaker has a real possibility.

                              You're right though, it isn't just a Toronto thing it's league wide, and it's such garbage.
                              So do you waste $60+ million on Dallas Keuchel and block Nate Pearson from major league time, Or Sean Reid Foley etc. The Jays as a competitor are Guerrero, Bichette etc. most of the young corp will be up at some point this year. Yes, Brandon Drury will be the opening day third baseman, but Guerrero will by up by May, one the extra year of control is guaranteed, Bichette, Biggio, Pearson ect. will all follow, then in a couple years, not handcuffed by 34 yr old albatross contracts, you can use money available to sign the free agents you need. Overall this years free agent class isnt that special anyways. I would have liked to see Happ back to mentor youngsters, but there is nothing there (beyond a couple) that I would want to control for more than 2-3 years, and they won't be ultra competitive in that time, unless the youngsters preform. I would actually still like to see them move Smoak for youngsters and give Tellez more playing time.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Spring training must have opened up Stroman in the news whinning again!

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X