Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Blue jays

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Exactly. Throw em to the wolves too early and you could ruin them.
    I should clarify that my comments about giving young pitchers did not necessarily mean make a rotation of guys that have never seen the majors. Last season we had two young pitchers in Borucki and Reid-Folley see significant time, and I would like to see them starting out the year on the team. I imagine that there are some guys that performed well in triple AAA last year that are near making the jump as well. With Stroman, Sanchez, Shoemaker and now Buchholz, there is only one starting rotation spot available to start the season. That means we likely start the first year of the rebuild with less young pitchers than we had in the rotation last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve04 View Post

I should clarify that my comments about giving young pitchers did not necessarily mean make a rotation of guys that have never seen the majors. Last season we had two young pitchers in Borucki and Reid-Folley see significant time, and I would like to see them starting out the year on the team. I imagine that there are some guys that performed well in triple AAA last year that are near making the jump as well. With Stroman, Sanchez, Shoemaker and now Buchholz, there is only one starting rotation spot available to start the season. That means we likely start the first year of the rebuild with less young pitchers than we had in the rotation last season.
      To start the season sure, but by June Sanchez and Shoemaker will be on the DL, Bucholz either traded or waived in July and who knows what year Stroman will have. They will still get lots of valuable innings this year. Outside of Sanchez and depending on the day Stroman, the rest of the veteran rotation are innings eaters and trade chips that can easily be taken out of the rotation whenever it's time for the kids.
      Last edited by Danny Barrett Apologist; 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM.
      Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

Comment

• Vlad Jr.'s listed weight has now updated to 250lbs. I think it's a bit worrying that a 19 year old weighs that much with his career ahead of him. The artificial turf combined with that weight will wear him down quickly, he needs a much better fitness program to perform at 'his' peak level. Gone are the days where fitness/health isn't a continuing year round mandatory requirement to compete. Golfers, hockey players etc. are definitely much fitter and stronger all season round than before. Attitudes have changed, I remember how former Blue Jay color commentator Tony Kubec used to criticize baseball players who lifted weights in the 80's. Vlad's career and post career mobility will be improved with better fitness. His argument to be in the league now would be enhanced if he were in better physical shape even though he may be a great hitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

To start the season sure, but by June Sanchez and Shoemaker will be on the DL, Bucholz either traded or waived in July and who knows what year Stroman will have. They will still get lots of valuable innings this year. Outside of Sanchez and depending on the day Stroman, the rest of the veteran rotation are innings eaters and trade chips that can easily be taken out of the rotation whenever it's time for the kids.
          Yes there will likely be injuries, but that is not definite, nor is the timeline on an injury definite. I have no doubt that young guys will get lots of innings, but again, just don't see the thought process in filling a rotation full of serviceable starters, in a rebuilding year. Rolling out with Stro/Sanchez/either Sheomaker or Buccholz/Borucki/1 additional young guy, would be how I wanted the team to start. Oh well, moot point, as the team has chosen to go this direction.

Comment

• Vladdy needs to change or he'll be done by the time he's 22. At 19 a kid should not be that fat, I don't care how well he can swing a bat. Big Papi or Sandoval got that way later in their careers, not from the get-go.Its just not going to work for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve04 View Post

Yes there will likely be injuries, but that is not definite, nor is the timeline on an injury definite. I have no doubt that young guys will get lots of innings, but again, just don't see the thought process in filling a rotation full of serviceable starters, in a rebuilding year. Rolling out with Stro/Sanchez/either Sheomaker or Buccholz/Borucki/1 additional young guy, would be how I wanted the team to start. Oh well, moot point, as the team has chosen to go this direction.
              If no one gets injured then

A) Everyone pitches above projections and they make playoffs so it doesn't much matter.

or

B) One or multiple guys underperform, playoffs seem out of reach and guys are dealt or DFAd.

B is the likeliest option so the best course is keep them in AAA and wait until the wheels fall off.

Comment

If no one gets injured then

A) Everyone pitches above projections and they make playoffs so it doesn't much matter.

or

B) One or multiple guys underperform, playoffs seem out of reach and guys are dealt or DFAd.

B is the likeliest option so the best course is keep them in AAA and wait until the wheels fall off.
                I 100% agree that there are always options. The worst case scenario though is that Stroman and Sanchez have career years, and Shoemaker and Buchholz have return to form, but not dominant years. A lack of hitting take some wins off of great pitching from the top 4 of the rotation. The Jays stay within contention of a wild card, even though it is a long shot, and are forced to continue on with the rotation, only for things to fall apart in late August or September, after the trade deadline, and when there are only a couple starts left for any young guys.

Now of course, I don't think that scenario is likely, but again, my point being, if this is a rebuilding year, let's fully commit to a rebuild, and not have a roster full of stop-gap slightly better than average players, that will be hard to part with, but not good enough to legitimately challenge for a playoff spot.

Comment

• I always know we've gone "too deep" into this stuff, when the jays doing well becomes a worst case scenario.

Comment

• I've been saying for a while that if his weight became an even more severe problem, projections for young Vlad will change drastically.

He's tipping the scales at 250lbs. That's just unacceptable by both the team and him. He's the teams most valuable commodity... get the kid a chef and dietitian to keep his weight down. Get him on a specific conditioning program.

It would be extremely unfortunate if both parties let this level of talent just fade away.

Comment

• Yeah......Hate to see Vlad turn into Cecil Fielder 2.0

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                        Yeah......Hate to see Vlad turn into Cecil Fielder 2.0
                        Prince Fielder is who I thought of.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

Yeah, you'd hate to see a guy turn into a 6 time allstar...

Comment

Yeah, you'd hate to see a guy turn into a 6 time allstar...
                            I'm guessing most would be thinking and hoping the bar would be higher for Vlad Jr..

Comment

• Originally posted by gersh View Post

I'm guessing most would be thinking and hoping the bar would be higher for Vlad Jr..
                              Just a tad
                              Last edited by Giventofly; 03-05-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

He reminds me of prince Fielder too , just look at their pics when they were kids and how big they were. I hope Vladdy has a good long career .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X