Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL game possibly coming to Mosaic Stadium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

I just personally think cities should not be spending very limited funds on events like this. Tourism SK exists for a reason and should be putting up the cities portion.
    Tourism SASK and the city both get their money from the same tax payer.

Comment

• Originally posted by painter View Post

Tourism SASK and the city both get their money from the same tax payer.
      Yes but the province has much deeper pockets then cities. Considering Tourism Sask spent 2 million making the corner gas movie hosting a hockey game fits that same model. Tourism SK has funded other music events etc so it fits within that model. The city on the other hand does not fund bands that come and play large Stadium shows. So the question is why is the city funding this event when they dont find other major events at the stadium?

Comment

• Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

I have a hard time believing that when you look at the ice crew, TV crew, Radio crew and all the press that would come with-it plus 2 hockey teams and all that is associated with that ...... frankly I can't see a concert even being close. Concerts today are more bare bones than in the hay day as touring is how artists make cash now so the less they spend the more they pocket
        Concert tours bring a pile of crew/staff/management/workers. Easily as much (likey more) than a hockey game would require. There were 60 semis for GnR alone.
        Last edited by Huff Daddy; 02-06-2019, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

Concert tours bring a pile of crew/staff/management/workers. Easily as much (likey more) than a hockey game would require. There were 60 semis for GnR alone.
          I can't dispute that but YQR hosting a outdoor NHL game is a pretty big deal and I think a no brainer for the city to cough up a few bucks to make it happen heck Jimmy Fallon may even show up

Comment

• Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

I can't dispute that but YQR hosting a outdoor NHL game is a pretty big deal and I think a no brainer for the city to cough up a few bucks to make it happen heck Jimmy Fallon may even show up
            Of course, only a complete fool would be upset about the city spending $150K to bring in millions of dollars to the city.

Comment

• I can definitely see why the city forked over the $ to get the game but it is yet another case of pro sport welfare.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

Not sure about that... from a hotel perspective (hockey) perspective you are looking at;

Each Team: 50-60 rooms
                NHL Event staff: 75-100
                Event set up/tear down staff: 40-50
                Sponsorship: 50
                Broadcast: 50

Taking even the bottom of those estimates - you are looking at (conservatively) over 300 rooms. And you'd also need to factor in length of time, the stays associated are going to be longer than a tour stop, not to mention that doesn't account for extra rooms for families, who travel for these types of games.

In contrast, the GNR show in Arizona had 125 travelling crew.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/musi...uction-8551664

Skjerseth lives in Phoenix, though youd never know it by how much time he spends on the road. Between traveling with Guns N Roses, AC/DC, and other big stadium tours, his plate is constantly full and his road crew, consisting of 125 people, might as well be his second family. Between that crew and another 125 locals at each stop, it takes about 36 hours to prepare the stage. Yes, a lot of hands are necessary in unloading and erecting the contents of 20 production trucks and 16 steel trucks. In fact, it takes 8 to 10 hours just to unload the aforementioned steel trucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grainshoveler View Post
                  I can definitely see why the city forked over the $ to get the game but it is yet another case of pro sport welfare.
                  I believe this is what Gridiron is really getting at, but he can correct me if I'm wrong.. And I sort of agree. The league is going to make money on the games (as long as they don't get too greedy). However, someone mentioned the possibility that the city's contribution might be a way of making sure that the city does everything it can to make the event a success. If that's the case, then I can see the point of that too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X