Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL 2018/19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squish View Post

PLease explain. Being positive about one's team is now "planning the parade", but only if its the Leafs, and not if its any of the other Canadian teams who are doing well?
    Well I didnít start the planning the parade comments so you better go back and check in with that poster for an answer. My observation was that the infamous Leafs over-confidence is back from the Sundin days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Well I didnít start the planning the parade comments so you better go back and check in with that poster for an answer. My observation was that the infamous Leafs over-confidence is back from the Sundin days.
      When is it defined as "overconfidence", and is that threshold different for Leafs fans than Winnipeg or Calgary fans who are also quite rightly confident about their teams as well?

Is it overconfidence at all? I just look at our team, and finally... finally, we have scoring from a bunch of guys in their early 20's, a coach who is an NHL legend with much success on his resume, and run by a bight young mind who came up through the organization. I don't know if we're going to win the cup this year, but what I do know, is that for once there isn't this feeling of impending doom due to stupid contracts of old washed up guys, or traded draft picks coming from an inept front office. Does that make me overconfident?
      Last edited by squish; 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by squish View Post

When is it defined as "overconfidence", and is that threshold different for Leafs fans than Winnipeg or Calgary fans who are also quite rightly confident about their teams as well?

Is it overconfidence at all? I just look at our team, and finally... finally, we have scoring from a bunch of guys in their early 20's, a coach who is an NHL legend with much success on his resume, and run by a bight young mind who came up through the organization. I don't know if we're going to win the cup this year, but what I do know, is that for once there isn't this feeling of impending doom due to stupid contracts of old washed up guys, or traded draft picks coming from an inept front office. Does that make me overconfident?
        Who said the threshold was different for other teams? I just donít see it from fans of those other teams.

You should try applying that same level of optimism to the Riders. If youíre not overconfident then bully for you, no need to be defensive then right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

Who said the threshold was different for other teams? I just donít see it from fans of those other teams.

You should try applying that same level of optimism to the Riders. If youíre not overconfident then bully for you, no need to be defensive then right?
          I guess I don't know the difference between confident and overconfident.

Comment

• There is no parade being planned in Toronto. Leaf fans are cautiously optimistic that a playoff calibre team is being assembled to contend for the next few seasons. Nobody is overconfident in Leaf land, most are simply enjoying being entertained by a talented crop of youngsters, hoping they mature into a competitive team. I sit and watch most Leaf games amongst the Leaf faithful in a sports pub in Toronto.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

You know Bergeron has won the Cup once right? He Isn't in the discussion for best Bruins ever, actually there Isn't even a discussion.
              It is obvious Regina was reaching on best ever. Now if he worded it as one one the best, that would be a different story. Top 10? Top 10 forwards or top 10 centres? He moves up that list pretty fast. Squish talks about points per game. That stat doesnít really correlate well when you cross eras and about 15 of the guys ahead of him played less than 200 games. He is and will be one of their greatest for many reasons besides points. A great leader. I mean who plays with broken ribs? When we talk about Riders and the Plaza, tenure and or longevity always comes up. I think this might have been where he was coming from.

If any Leafs fan wants to tie greatness to any given stat, then just check those stats on legend row players and you will realize there is more to greatness than points per game played.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjrxs View Post

It is obvious Regina was reaching on best ever. Now if he worded it as one one the best, that would be a different story. Top 10? Top 10 forwards or top 10 centres? He moves up that list pretty fast. Squish talks about points per game. That stat doesnít really correlate well when you cross eras and about 15 of the guys ahead of him played less than 200 games. He is and will be one of their greatest for many reasons besides points. A great leader. I mean who plays with broken ribs? When we talk about Riders and the Plaza, tenure and or longevity always comes up. I think this might have been where he was coming from.

If any Leafs fan wants to tie greatness to any given stat, then just check those stats on legend row players and you will realize there is more to greatness than points per game played.
                I'm pretty sure that his "argument" was a non-starter talking about a team that had Bobby Orr. It's just the usual strange post from the guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by regina View Post
                  Patrice Bergron who was born with the spoked B upon his chest played his 1000th NHL game last evening, all with the Bruins. He scored two goals as the Bostons beat the Brooklyns 3 to 1

Agruagbly, 37 is the best Bruin ever .
                  Who would ever argue that?

Comment

• On the topic of the Leafs, I always wanted to hate the Leafs, mainly because of their fans (maybe present company excluded!) I personally know some fans who are over-the-top about the team, even when they were horrible. However, the young talent they are amassing is enviable for sure. And then they add Tavares, who is one of my favourite players. As a Canucks fan, I'm definitely jealous. It will be interesting to see how the team develops, and how far they can go in the playoffs.

Comment

• And since I mentioned the Canucks, I can't believe they are still in the playoff hunt. I would actually rather they finished out of the playoffs, and lower in the standings for a better draft pick. But they are an exciting team to watch again. Petterson was a great pick for them, at least so far.

Comment

A few reasons. One he will be paid signing bonus even if there is a lockout. Two he gets plenty of his money early so opportunity to let his money make him more money. And three I read yesterday, as an American, his signing bonuses are taxed at 15% rather than normal 53% because of our tax treaty with US.
                        I just saw on Sportsnet that the league is going to look at these types on contracts for the next collective agreement. It seems that GMs are once again freely giving out crazy contracts, but will claim that they can't help themselves and will need to get rid of contracts like these for the next agreement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Mega View Post

I just saw on Sportsnet that the league is going to look at these types on contracts for the next collective agreement. It seems that GMs are once again freely giving out crazy contracts, but will claim that they can't help themselves and will need to get rid of contracts like these for the next agreement.
                          I think that will be fought by teams. Rich teams have agreed to give up their financial advantage with a Hard Cap, they have provided revenue sharing to help poorer teams, and now those teams want to tell them how they can pay their contracts?? Sooner or later the Rich teams say enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Mega View Post
                            And since I mentioned the Canucks, I can't believe they are still in the playoff hunt. I would actually rather they finished out of the playoffs, and lower in the standings for a better draft pick. But they are an exciting team to watch again. Petterson was a great pick for them, at least so far.
                            I disagree. I'd rather them make the playoffs for the experience, even if it'll be a one and done. They've drafted surprisingly well lately and got a guy like Boeser at 23 overall a couple years back, so who knows. Also have Hughes who will be on the team soon and suddenly a couple nice FA pickups and they should be contending in 3-4 years. Demko has shown promise as well and Markstrom is all of a sudden pretty damn good.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

I disagree. I'd rather them make the playoffs for the experience, even if it'll be a one and done. They've drafted surprisingly well lately and got a guy like Boeser at 23 overall a couple years back, so who knows. Also have Hughes who will be on the team soon and suddenly a couple nice FA pickups and they should be contending in 3-4 years. Demko has shown promise as well and Markstrom is all of a sudden pretty damn good.
                              I guess there is the benefit of playoff experience for some of the players. But I would still rather have some higher picks. They sure are exciting to watch these days though. I hope Petterson can keep up his pace and win the Calder.

Comment

A few reasons. One he will be paid signing bonus even if there is a lockout. Two he gets plenty of his money early so opportunity to let his money make him more money. And three I read yesterday, as an American, his signing bonuses are taxed at 15% rather than normal 53% because of our tax treaty with US.
                                It also helps the salary cap. Now I can't explain exactly how because you need to be a combination of a lawyer and an accountant to fully understand the CBA these days, but what I do know is that at the end of the day the player can receive the same amount of total money, but it's more cap friendly to split it between signing bonus and actual salary

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X