Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary 2026 Olympics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

What do you do with the ageing ones in Calgary that are still used everyday ? bulldoze them ?
    Which facilities are you talking about?

WinSport is ever expanding. The ski jumps have been at the end of their life for some time now, and that location can no longer work for world class jumping because there isn't enough space. The Olympic Oval is in constant use, and if it needs upgrades why haven't the users been charged enough over the last 30 years to pay for it?

A somewhat related question that has yet to be answered by City Council (not a Bid Co matter) is if these facilities are in need of significant upgrades what happened to the legacy fund from '88 and what happened to the revenue from running these facilities for the last 30 years?

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Many of Vancouver's facilities were not permanent, precisely because the training centres are still in Calgary. Vancouver doesn't exactly have the climate to be a good training centre for most winter sports.

To my knowledge, the renos they're taking about aren't "lipstick". They are bringing them up to standard for decades more of use.

They are trying to cheap out on the bid because that is how you win Olympic bids nowadays. IOC is encouraging minimal construction because cities are tired of having massive debts and white elephants. If Calgary came in with a bid with billions more in spending, not only would their own population be more likely to vote against it, but so would IOC.

However, what could end up happening if Calgary wins the bid, depending on politicians and public support, is that a few more items coincidentally end up getting done before 2026. I'd be really surprised if there isn't a new NHL sized arena or some sort of transit expansion.
      There has been whispers of that happening but it won't be tied to the Olympic bid $$ ……………………….. The flames and the city are so far apart on who should reap the benefits and cash in on the development $$ around the new rink that I'm not sure a deal can get done and when your dealing with Murray Edwards and the flames ownership group you will find that rich guys do not want to spend any of their own money

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

Which ones have not been replaced by better facilities in Canada?
        Which ones have ?

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

A new NHL arena being tied to this bid is false. When I first heard stories of Calgary going for this that is instantly what I thought - get the $ for the arena that way. But the IOC said the dome is fine. The only arena that is part of the plan is a new 5000 seat arena.
          It isn't necessary to bid, but they will incorporate it into their hosting plans if an arena deal materialises. A lot of people think the Olympics could be a catalyst for getting a deal between the Flames and the city. Yes, they can build a smaller community arena and host some things in Edmonton or Red Deer as they've suggested, but there would be clear value in having a new arena for the games.

I can see why they were reluctant to include it in the bid though. The arena debate was contentious. Linking the bid to a separate polarising issue would just create even more opposition. It is also doubtful they had any hope of negotiating the funding arrangement with the Flames before the vote. They barely managed to get the government funding nailed down.

It would also look bad from IOC's side if a city with an NHL rink says that a new rink is necessary to host the Olympics. That doesn't fit with their new philosophy. Whereas if Calgary, independent of the Olympics, restarts arena talks and decides to build their new arena before 2026, then they can sell it as something they were planning to do that anyhow.

Comment

Which ones have ?
            The Oval, the ski jumps, luge and bobsled, so really everything.

Comment

The Oval, the ski jumps, luge and bobsled, so really everything.
              so your saying a country with the geographic footprint of Canada only needs one place for world class events and YYC should just mothball their facilities and athletes should commute to whistler to compete and train ?

It may be a shock to you but all the Olympic legacy assets out side the ski jumps have brought in $$$$ to the Calgary area for 30 years and I doubt there is a facility like Canada Olympic park that is easily accessible to everyone not just the wealthy anywhere in Canada

Comment

so your saying a country with the geographic footprint of Canada only needs one place for world class events and YYC should just mothball their facilities and athletes should commute to whistler to compete and train ?

It may be a shock to you but all the Olympic legacy assets out side the ski jumps have brought in $$$$ to the Calgary area for 30 years and I doubt there is a facility like Canada Olympic park that is easily accessible to everyone not just the wealthy anywhere in Canada
                Some of the legacy are already gone so I would say yes when facilities cost as much as they do now and so few elite athletes use them then yes one in Canada is enough for speed skating, ski jumping, luge, and bobsled. If so many use them why is there no money for upkeep???

Comment

Some of the legacy are already gone so I would say yes when facilities cost as much as they do now and so few elite athletes use them then yes one in Canada is enough for speed skating, ski jumping, luge, and bobsled. If so many use them why is there no money for upkeep???
                  There is money for up keep and they do a great job as these facilities look top notch but no money for update as a lot changes in 30 years and I think you would be surprised at how may athletes and members of the public use these facilities …………………………….

Comment

• Originally posted by kcountry View Post

Which facilities are you talking about?

WinSport is ever expanding. The ski jumps have been at the end of their life for some time now, and that location can no longer work for world class jumping because there isn't enough space. The Olympic Oval is in constant use, and if it needs upgrades why haven't the users been charged enough over the last 30 years to pay for it?

A somewhat related question that has yet to be answered by City Council (not a Bid Co matter) is if these facilities are in need of significant upgrades what happened to the legacy fund from '88 and what happened to the revenue from running these facilities for the last 30 years?

COP is a first class facility and has a lot of money put into it with the new rinks and training facility's but the whole park from the mogul pitch to snowboard park will need will be updated to be good for another 30 years The oval while still looking good is over 30 years old and need modernization same goes for Canmore Nordic center. Like most public facilities in YYC these will run at a break even at best financial situation and your going to need a injection of capital eventually to keep them world class and capable of hosting world class events

Comment

COP is a first class facility and has a lot of money put into it with the new rinks and training facility's but the whole park from the mogul pitch to snowboard park will need will be updated to be good for another 30 years The oval while still looking good is over 30 years old and need modernization same goes for Canmore Nordic center. Like most public facilities in YYC these will run at a break even at best financial situation and your going to need a injection of capital eventually to keep them world class and capable of hosting world class events
                      I don’t know what you mean by updates will be need to the mogul park, snowboard park and Nordic centre, or where you are getting your information to make this statement. All three of those are continuously updated and expanded and all three routinely hold world class event. Neither COP nor Canmore Nordic Centre look anything like they did in ‘88. The two facilities that need modernization are the ones owned by the University of Calgary - McMahon and the Olympic Oval. A cold heart could say that perhaps the UofC figure out a way to modernize their facilities without the spending of billions of taxpayers dollars on hosting the Olympics. Or perhaps speed skating Canada should find a way to modernize their home training facility.

Of course the flip side is that the taxpayer pays for all kinds of sport facilities including rinks, diamonds, football fields, soccer and cricket pitches, tennis courts, rec centres, etc. As always the discussion comes down to where do we draw the line. I don’t have that answer, but I challenge the notion that spending $5B of taxpayer dollars is the best way to modernization certain legacy facilities.

Comment

I don’t think geographical footprint is relevant. Population and participation rates are.

Comment

• The fieldhouse is a pretty major piece of this too. It is a $200 million facility that Calgary has already committed to building "someday". The Calgary sports community really needs that facility before 2026, even if there is no Olympics. To me, it just seems like a heck of a lot better of a deal financially for Calgary to host the Olympics (which would include the fieldhouse) for around $400 million, rather than getting only a fieldhouse for $200 million. Doubling their already planned investment brings back a lot more than double the infrastructure.

The state of indoor turf in Alberta is actually quite sad. Right now, Saskatoon, Regina, and even Moose Jaw all have better indoor turf facilities than Calgary does, and have had them for a long time now. Calgary is also falling way behind Edmonton when it comes to indoor turf, outdoor stadiums, arenas, recreation centres, etc. You'd think that'd be a pretty sore spot for Calgarians.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                            The fieldhouse is a pretty major piece of this too. It is a $200 million facility that Calgary has already committed to building "someday". The Calgary sports community really needs that facility before 2026, even if there is no Olympics. To me, it just seems like a heck of a lot better of a deal financially for Calgary to host the Olympics (which would include the fieldhouse) for around $400 million, rather than getting only a fieldhouse for $200 million. Doubling their already planned investment brings back a lot more than double the infrastructure.

The state of indoor turf in Alberta is actually quite sad. Right now, Saskatoon, Regina, and even Moose Jaw all have better indoor turf facilities than Calgary does, and have had them for a long time now. Calgary is also falling way behind Edmonton when it comes to indoor turf, outdoor stadiums, arenas, recreation centres, etc. You'd think that'd be a pretty sore spot for Calgarians.
                            I think you would have widespread support if anyone believed the final bill to Calgary would be $400 million. Most believe it will be multiples of that and so far there is little evidence to believe otherwise.

Comment

I think you would have widespread support if anyone believed the final bill to Calgary would be $400 million. Most believe it will be multiples of that and so far there is little evidence to believe otherwise.
                              I don't get the dichotomy here. On one hand, people seem to believe the costs of these games are somehow going to skyrocket, despite the 1.1 billion contingency and a 200 million insurance policy. On the other hand, people are complaining that Calgary isn't building enough new stuff for the games.

It seems some people won't believe anything that they're being told, as if this whole thing is some sort of giant conspiracy. It sort of defeats the purpose of having the most transparent bid in history and putting the information in the hands of the voters if they're just going to say "we don't believe you" and make up their own numbers. It looks like we'll see a lot of people voting no based on a bid that they entirely made up in their own heads, rather than the bid that is being proposed.

Comment

• A lot of the questions that posters here have been asking were recently answered by the Calgary 2026 folks:

https://www.yescalgary2026.ca/faq

The big takeaway is that when people are asking "why aren't you building X", the answer is that IOC now penalises bids for including infrastructure plans that are not absolutely necessary to hosting a successful Games. One of the reasons the international press believes Calgary is the front-runner is their ability to reuse venues from '88 and '10.

This is why the Paris vs Los Angeles became a competition to see how little they needed to build for the games. They went so far as to classify a lot of new infrastructure as being unrelated projects that they would do regardless of whether they hosted the games. It was a competition to see how little could be done on games related infrastructure. Since they both won that one, this bid is the first actual competition that'll be decided under these new criteria.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X