Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary 2026 Olympics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary 2026 Olympics

Ya friggin Pigeon

Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

I'm staying at CRF's place...lol
      Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

As awesome as it would be to have an Olympics in Calgary, I would not blame Calgarians one bit if they vote against that staggering cost. 3 billion is assumed to be the taxpayers share, how it is divided up is undecided, but you've got to think they'd be on the hook for a billion dollars. Surprisingly, they don't even get a new arena out of that cost as the plan is to use the saddledome.

Comment

How about a new outdoor stadium?

Comment

I would not want my local Govt to ever consider taking on the cost of an Olympics. Especially when you consider there is barely any infrastructure involved. And that number is really just the starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post
              I would not want my local Govt to ever consider taking on the cost of an Olympics. Especially when you consider there is barely any infrastructure involved. And that number is really just the starting point.
              I think it would be cool to have another olympics in Canada, I really enjoyed Vancouver but seriously the cost is ridiculous.

Comment

I am in the Calgary "Yes" camp but this will be a brouhaha of biblical proportions in Calgary with strong and valid opinions on both sides of the argument ..................however with the preliminary math (and yes it could be optimistic ) Calgarians like me would only be footing a small % of the cost for projects that need to be done any way like the field house and upgrade the oval etc etc .................the ski jumping in whistler is a no brainer but the curling cannot go to Edmonton.

Its pretty funny here in Calgary where the No side was ranting and raving about the cost before yesterdays announcement then that same No side was complaining there was no new rink or stadium in the plan .......... all that being said Olympics are expensive but Calgary and Vancouver have proved that Canadians know how to put on a winter games.

With out the 88 games and legacy left behind there is no way Canada is the winter sport country we are today and Calgary would not be the city it is either

to put it in prospective Sochi cost 50 billion Vancouver cost 9 billion and Calgary is looking at 6 Billion

Comment

Originally posted by goaltender61 View Post

I am in the Calgary "Yes" camp but this will be a brouhaha of biblical proportions in Calgary with strong and valid opinions on both sides of the argument ..................however with the preliminary math (and yes it could be optimistic ) Calgarians like me would only be footing a small % of the cost for projects that need to be done any way like the field house and upgrade the oval etc etc .................the ski jumping in whistler is a no brainer but the curling cannot go to Edmonton.

Its pretty funny here in Calgary where the No side was ranting and raving about the cost before yesterdays announcement then that same No side was complaining there was no new rink or stadium in the plan .......... all that being said Olympics are expensive but Calgary and Vancouver have proved that Canadians know how to put on a winter games.

With out the 88 games and legacy left behind there is no way Canada is the winter sport country we are today and Calgary would not be the city it is either

to put it in prospective Sochi cost 50 billion Vancouver cost 9 billion and Calgary is looking at 6 Billion
                  I get the lagacy thought from 88 but I don't see that legacy from this $6 billion?? I could even understand it more if the Flames get a new home.

Comment

I get the lagacy thought from 88 but I don't see that legacy from this $6 billion?? I could even understand it more if the Flames get a new home.
                    I know on the surface the plan looks cheap but as a Calgarian I can see the logic in what they are proposing As you know the IOC are moving away from Olympic boondoggles for 50 days of events and if Calgary is going to bid they have to do it within their means so What makes Calgary attractive is that there are still legacy assets that can be used with upgrades so cutting the Capital cost in half.

People need to keep in mind this is a bid and there are no guarantees but I know that you win 0 % of the bids your don't submit

It would be nice to see a new 18,000 seat rink and I would bet if the bid was successful there would be a new rink one way or the other also the c-train to the airport would be nice but that is another 2 billion

just some of the legacy Calgary will see and most are things that need to be done anyway so if you can get the province, feds and the IOC to foot a good chunk of the bill then why not ....its about time the West got some of that transfer payment money back instead of giving it bombardier

1) 10,000 seat field house
                    2) 5000 seat ice rink
                    3) upgrades to the oval
                    4) upgrades to mount Allen (Nakiska)
                    5) upgrades to the Canmore Nordic Center
                    6) upgrades to Canada Olympic park
                    7)upgrades to McMahon Stadium ( I know lipstick on a pig)
                    8) upgrades to the Dome ( yes its old but their is 0 wrong with it )
                    9) updating Whistler ski jumps

Comment

Again if I'm the Citizen I want to see something long term that benefits the City. If I'm the guy making the decision I'm not that excited about most of your list however throw in an increased mass transit system such as airport and a new arena in an entertainment district and it might be enough to sway me.

Comment

I wonder what people outside Calgary feel about Calgarians getting a vote and they don't when provincial and fed money is involved too.

Comment

Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                          I'm staying at CRF's place...lol
                          I'm jacking up prices to pay for my tax increase

Comment

Again if I'm the Citizen I want to see something long term that benefits the City. If I'm the guy making the decision I'm not that excited about most of your list however throw in an increased mass transit system such as airport and a new arena in an entertainment district and it might be enough to sway me.
                            You can look at it that way but it all comes down to living with in your means ...............Calgary and Canada can afford a Olympics plan as proposed and if people want new stuff prepare to double or triple the budget

You do not get much for a billion these days as Calgary's new green line LRT is now sitting at about 2 billion .....for a train track

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

I'm jacking up prices to pay for my tax increase
                              as the mayor you have direct control over said tax increases

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X