Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regina Pats... 2017-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChuckT
    started a topic Regina Pats... 2017-18

Regina Pats... 2017-18

For those interested, thought we'd transition out of the playoff thread and move onto a Pats specific one. With that in mind, was curious where their roster is at, and what it could be like heading into next year. So here is my stab, from the info I recall/remember of which guys are in their system.

GOALIES:
    Goalies: Brown, Paddock
    Pretty good shape here, as I think Paddock has the potential to be a real solid back up. If not, they'll make a deal for a back up 18/19 year old.

DEFENSE:
    Defense: Mahura, Davidson, Smart, Schioler, Hobbs (maybe)
    Ideally they can sign: Tyler Jubenvill, Scott Perunovich
    Potentials youngsters: Owen Williams, Riley Bruce

Possible line up as I see it:
    Mahura & Euro Pick
    20 year old & Davidson/Smart
    Davidson/Smart & Schioler/young guy

Schioler is OK, but has not developed as I thought he would. I think they deal him (like they've done with Reegan, Pouteau, Freadrich, Hilsendager) and those young guys will step up.
    Game changer: Convincing Tyler Jubenvil to join the Pats. He'd slide into the top 4, moving Davidson and Smart as a real good # 3 pair.

FORWARDS:
    Forwards: Steel, Bradley, Henry, Leschyshyn, Holmes, Buziak, Lockner, Sloboshan, Wagner (maybe)
    Ideally they can sign: Jost, Landon Lagenbrunner, Kaden Bohlsen, Trevor Janicke

Posible line up as I see it:
    Holmes/Euro Pick - Steel - Henry
    Holmes/Euro Pick - Bradley - Lockner
    ? - Leschyshyn - ?
    De Wit - Muir - Buziak

Youngsters/potential trade bait: Cole Muir, Logan Nijhoff, Duncan Pierce, Riley Krane
    Game changer: pretty obvious who that would be... but Janicke would be another massive pick up

So work to be done for sure, but they've already done a good job filling one major hole. Ideally they need another top 4 D and top 6 Forward. As they saw with the playoffs this year, you need those extra bodies for deep runs.

If they managed to get one of Hobbs or Wagner back, well that's a game changer too.

If Hobbs is back, they use the 20 year old spot and deal for another 20 year old forward (my vote is Estephan to play next to Bradley).
    If Wagner is back, he plays with Steel and Henry. The Euro likely plays with Bradley; and Lockner slots into that skilled checking line with Leschyshyn, who'll obviously score too.
    Last edited by ChuckT; 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM.

• ChuckT
    replied
    Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
    Guys should we start a Dub playoffs thread? I'm glad to hear Sportsnet may have a game in the Blades / Raider series. I would be very interested in seeing action in that series if on tv but not interested enough to buy the ppv online.
    Maybe just change the thread to read "WHL discussion"?

Hunter has some questions to answer... wow.

Leave a comment:

• tommy_boy
    replied
    Tim Hunter is an embarrassment to the organization.

Leave a comment:

• tommy_boy
    replied
    Originally posted by ChuckT View Post
    But they'll have to do it the hard way, and not via a no-brainer pick. I really liked the Hajek, but in hindsight that ended up not being a good trade for them.

Davidson, a top 3 pick in this year's draft and Robins... who I've been really impressed with over the last 1-2 months. He scored a goal the other night that showed unbelievable hockey sense. He's going to be a good one.
    Not to mention they had to waive Egor Zamula in the process, and he proceeded to put up 56 points in 61 games for the Hitmen this season.

Leave a comment:

• lester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Kind of like his fight record against Dave Semenko.
    Are you saying his nose is bent out of shape?

Leave a comment:

• jtf-2
    replied
    Originally posted by pappcam View Post

I approve of this statement.

Looks good on Hunter who apparently didn't shake hands after the game/series. Quite the year for him behind the bench what with the awful World Juniors and another early WHL exit.
    Not once in 4 games of interviews,would he give the blades players or coaches credit for anything.
    Mitch Love is proving himself to be a very good coach imo,who fwiw,every interview always gives credit to opposing players and coaches
    $7.99 is pretty cheap to watch a playoff game online.I just stream it from a tablet to the bigscreen.

The blades have a chance against the raiders for sure,and i will say that whoever wins that series wins the Whl Cup

Leave a comment:

• Bigsexydawg
    replied
    Originally posted by pappcam View Post

Looks good on Hunter who apparently didn't shake hands after the game/series. Quite the year for him behind the bench what with the awful World Juniors and another early WHL exit.
    Kind of like his fight record against Dave Semenko.

Leave a comment:

• pappcam
    replied
    Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
    Glad to see Moose Jaw swept.

Nice work Blades.

Leave a comment:

• Bingo_Arms
    replied
    Glad to see Moose Jaw swept.

Nice work Blades.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRiderFan
    replied
    Guys should we start a Dub playoffs thread? I'm glad to hear Sportsnet may have a game in the Blades / Raider series. I would be very interested in seeing action in that series if on tv but not interested enough to buy the ppv online.

Leave a comment:

• CooCooCaChew
    replied
    I friend of mine who follows the team close (season ticket holder too) said the big thing is there won't be that top end talent for a while with no draft picks. At best a team that works hard and maybe gets into the playoffs
    I think the Pats have Swift's 1st next year through Lethbridge for the Leschyshyn Henry trade.

Leave a comment:

• ChuckT
    replied
    I friend of mine who follows the team close (season ticket holder too) said the big thing is there won't be that top end talent for a while with no draft picks. At best a team that works hard and maybe gets into the playoffs
    There are other ways that you can find top-end talent, I think there were 3 undrafted players in the top 10 in scoring this year, and the # 1 guy was a Euro.

But they'll have to do it the hard way, and not via a no-brainer pick. I really liked the Hajek, but in hindsight that ended up not being a good trade for them.

Davidson, a top 3 pick in this year's draft and Robins... who I've been really impressed with over the last 1-2 months. He scored a goal the other night that showed unbelievable hockey sense. He's going to be a good one.

Saskatoon was way too much for the Warriors to handle.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRiderFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DJR
    replied
    Originally posted by rhettdawsonnot View Post
    Great home game win for the Pats.

Who of the young guys are you excited to see next year with upside?

I like Alkhimov at forward. Two goals last night and a great motor, but it seems he needs to decide which side of the ice he wants to play on.

On D I am thinking Rhykr Evans could be amazing as a 19 year old. Awesome skating and puck movement and came back pretty well from injury.

Super curious to know from others that know hockey better than I - do we have the talent with our 17 and 16 year old classes????
    Mostly a D guy here. In that vein Sedov is easily best. Great hands, likely our best slap from the point, and great vision. Even starting to get a bit physical. Speaking of physical that has been Walker's contribution. Yes Evans has played well coming off injury but still a good ways to go. The loss of Pouteau and Schioller leaves a fairly big hole on D. Lots of good guys on O. With the focus next year switching to wins rather than just splitting the minutes, it should be fun.

BTW I like Alkhimov, tons of hustle.

For me guys to watch also, Sedov, Massier, Nijhoff, Dubinski and of course Pratt in his 20 year old season.

Leave a comment:

• Huff Daddy
    replied
    Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

I think it'll be another 2-3 years out of the playoffs for the Pats before they can finish the rebuild.

They did play hard this year, I'll give them that. They'll need to be a hard working team for the next little while to avoid getting blown out.
    At least 2-3 years. Any draft picks they have are 13 and 14 years old right now, and won’t make an impact until they are at least 17. Going to be a few ugly seasons yet.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X