Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regina Pats... 2017-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

Kubic was very good. The rest of the team was sluggish and sloppy. Guess thats to be expected with all the new faces but the Tigers really took it to them most of the night.
    Hebig is a stud. He’s going to really help down the stretch.
    I thought the forwards were sloppy, which was to be expected. I think everyone, and I mean everyone, was playing with at least one new linemate tonight. The power play is still atrocious.

The D looked solid, and that was without arguably their best dman. Love the addition of Pouteau as a depth guy.

Kubic, just wow. Didn't know much about him, and Wednesday didn't really count. Was very solid tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJR View Post

I kinda do. The Pats power play has to be about 10%. No way you go anywhere without upgrading that so in a way it is plausible.
      You can upgrade more than one area via trades.
      Is it May yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

You mean like take your team to the WHL Finals? Brown was very good in the playoffs last year, and I would argue was a big reason they made it through the injuries to play Seattle.

And Jordan Hollett is the answer you think? You mean another 0 playoff guy who owns his own sub .900 sv % this year? What gives you the impression he'd be the saviour? He was supposed to be the "guy" till Brown repeatedly beat him out for that position.

I agree you should max out the 20 year old spots, except in net. When you are talking about the position that never leaves the ice for the entire game, you don't screw around. And the Pats did... making a massive gamble that their D was upgraded so much, along with their O, that it will hide any issues.

But when they play a team that can match up in all areas to them, the goalie will be the difference. I'm actually blown away the Pats left themselves in such a position. Who knows - maybe a tender catches fire and runs with it (ala Seattle) but they are running out of time for that guy to take the throne and run with it.
        I don't know about that. I think we saw a team that was out of gas in the finals because they didn't have the depth, not too mention Paddock really had to push his top players because his goaltender got outplayed in falling behind 3-1 to the Broncos and 2-1 to the Hurricanes.

I wanted an upgrade last year in goal and to be honest, they needed to do something this year as well. I'm disappointed with what they did, but Brown wasn't the answer either. I would like to see more of Wasserman. He was having a very good year in Humboldt before the Pats called him up.

Well, I don't think they matched up with MJ or Swift before the Hebig deal and I'm still not sure if they do.

Which of Gabriel, Hebig, or Bradley would you give up to keep Brown instead? I wouldn't give up any because of our other forward options, but if I had to choose, Bradley would be the one to go.

Comment

• Kubic keeps this up and all the discussion about getting rid of Brown will be gone very quick.

Can’t wait until the team representing Pioneer Village comes to town next Friday.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post
            Kubic keeps this up and all the discussion about getting rid of Brown will be gone very quick.

Can’t wait until the team representing Pioneer Village comes to town next Friday.
            The Pats have 9 games combined remaining with Swift and Moose Jaw. We’ll get a true indication of where the Pats and Kubic stand then.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

I don't know about that. I think we saw a team that was out of gas in the finals because they didn't have the depth, not too mention Paddock really had to push his top players because his goaltender got outplayed in falling behind 3-1 to the Broncos and 2-1 to the Hurricanes.

I wanted an upgrade last year in goal and to be honest, they needed to do something this year as well. I'm disappointed with what they did, but Brown wasn't the answer either. I would like to see more of Wasserman. He was having a very good year in Humboldt before the Pats called him up.

Well, I don't think they matched up with MJ or Swift before the Hebig deal and I'm still not sure if they do.

Which of Gabriel, Hebig, or Bradley would you give up to keep Brown instead? I wouldn't give up any because of our other forward options, but if I had to choose, Bradley would be the one to go.
              We can agree to disagree on Brown. I think that he did what he had to last year, especially when the chips were down. Is he the most consistent goalie? Nope, but few 18/19/20 year olds are. And there were only 2 guys in the league right now who I feel were improvement (Hart and Outhouse). Neither of which were available.

As for the overage question, I'm OK with the move that they made to shore up O. The issue I have is that they have no answer in net. They're rolling the dice big time. And at the end of the day, there is only so much ice time up front. I'd understand that deal, had they shored up the back end, but I think that is their biggest miss right now.

At least they've made a gritty team to play against in the playoffs. I think they have basically taken the Seattle blueprint from last year and are hoping to replicate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

The Pats have 9 games combined remaining with Swift and Moose Jaw. We’ll get a true indication of where the Pats and Kubic stand then.
                I think the Pats are in great shape. I think they beat SC. They’ve owned Skinner the last 2 playoffs.

As for MJ, they are not unstoppable. They laid an egg last night in PA.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanuckRider View Post

I think the Pats are in great shape. I think they beat SC. They’ve owned Skinner the last 2 playoffs.

As for MJ, they are not unstoppable. They laid an egg last night in PA.
                  PA has a pretty good team too. This is a killer division, and either PA or Brandon could easily make the East Final.

It's going to be a slobber knocker come playoffs, which I think is why Paddock has elected to get some big bodies for that playoff run, when it became apparent the price for skill was at a premium.

I like SC for all around talent up front, they are loaded up and have the most IMO. I like MJ for their D, which I think they have hands down the best. And I like the Pats for the size and grit they will bring. It's just a question of the intangibles of who will come out on top. And then how much damage (i.e.: injuries) has that team suffered as to whether they can take out the West (or even the East for that matter).

Comment

We can agree to disagree on Brown. I think that he did what he had to last year, especially when the chips were down. Is he the most consistent goalie? Nope, but few 18/19/20 year olds are. And there were only 2 guys in the league right now who I feel were improvement (Hart and Outhouse). Neither of which were available.

As for the overage question, I'm OK with the move that they made to shore up O. The issue I have is that they have no answer in net. They're rolling the dice big time. And at the end of the day, there is only so much ice time up front. I'd understand that deal, had they shored up the back end, but I think that is their biggest miss right now.

At least they've made a gritty team to play against in the playoffs. I think they have basically taken the Seattle blueprint from last year and are hoping to replicate it.
                    If you feel there were only two guys in the league that are an improvement on Brown, you are correct, we will agree to disagree. I feel that the upgrade to Hebig is more than the downgrade from Brown to what we have, if it even turns out to be a downgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

If you feel there were only two guys in the league that are an improvement on Brown, you are correct, we will agree to disagree. I feel that the upgrade to Hebig is more than the downgrade from Brown to what we have, if it even turns out to be a downgrade.
                      Yes, as long as you put "consistently". Teenage goalies are a tough bunch, and they are impacted mentally far more than most.

I'll stand by his play last playoffs. He had mate 2-3 weak goals last playoffs, once just happened to be in OT that always gets blown out of proportion. At the end of the day, his team advanced over two guys (Papirny and Skinner) who were supposed to be clearly better than him and over the course of the series outplayed the other guy IMO.

And while your argument was that the guys got worn down, I'd counter that with it's the playoffs and coaches go with their horses. The Pats issue was that they got caught with the injury bug. Wagner, Brooks, Henry, Leschyshyn, Ahl... that was a bit too much for them to overcome.

And I'll state it again... the only problem I have with Hebig is the following; is filling another F spot more important than they missing gap on D? They have no # 4 right now.

Instead the Pats have opted both upfront, an on the point to go with bigger bodies. It's clear Paddock has went the same way as Seattle last year. And it may work out, but the problem is do they have any chance in beating the O or the Q... or get pummelled like Seattle last year?

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                            Good to see the continuity. If there is one thing that wins in Jr hockey, it's keeping your core mgmt/coaching group together. They have their work cut out for themselves in the next couple years, but they'll end up with some undrafted beauties I wager ala Dryden Hunt.

Comment

Good to see the continuity. If there is one thing that wins in Jr hockey, it's keeping your core mgmt/coaching group together. They have their work cut out for themselves in the next couple years, but they'll end up with some undrafted beauties I wager ala Dryden Hunt.
                              Part of me expects they will have competitive teams despite trading everything away for this cup run. They sold everything off a few years ago (2014-15 I think) and they got better with the young kids that were playing after the deadline I bet they can take scraps and late bloomers and make a competitive team again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

Part of me expects they will have competitive teams despite trading everything away for this cup run. They sold everything off a few years ago (2014-15 I think) and they got better with the young kids that were playing after the deadline I bet they can take scraps and late bloomers and make a competitive team again.
                                If any group can do it, it's the group they re-signed today. Very exciting news.

I assume Paddock steps away from behind the bench after this year?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X