Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regina Pats... 2017-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Boonedock82 View Post
    Wagner and Hobbs won't be back. I think some nails were driven into that coffin when they made the Bradley trade.

    Pats already have 3 OAs - Bradley, Brown and Sloboshian. However they may not be their final O/As, but I wouldn't be surprised.

    I don't think Schioler is someone I would be worrying about. He is a really solid stay at home defence man, who has way more grit than Harrison did.

    I would be really surprised if Lesychyn (sp.) isn't the second centre next year. He is ready for it, and was ready for it this year to be honest. He was a point per game player on the 3rd line, and excelled while Brooks was away at the start of the year.

    I would be betting that Bradley plays on a wing this year, and Sloboshian centers the 3rd line.

    I'm really hoping that Paddock is able to wrangle another Ahl or two. A couple drafted Euro's that have parent clubs wanting them to pay in more games / more physical NHL style games.
    Schioler to me is at best a 4, but more likely a 5/6. I think you have more upside in Smart/Davidson, hence my preference on using them and moving him (as he does have decent value for other teams). But it's not the end of the world keeping him around either.

    As for the lines, it really depends on what Paddock wants to do. Based on this year, I think he favours the 3 balanced lines, so that's why I broke it down as per the above. If Paddock opts for that route, I could see him using Leschyshyn against the other teams top line, as he is a very good two way player. That would free up the Steel and Bradley lines to focus on offense. But that also depends on how best they can fill out those lines and to the extent that they would be balanced. It would also mean some of the young guys from this year (Holmes, Lockner in particular) would need to step their game up to fill those higher roles... which I think both are capable of. I think Holmes in particular, given the right opportunity, will have a breakout year.

    And a lot will depend on the import draft. I think the Pats will have no trouble finding 2 quality replacements for Ahl and Z. Or another option is for them to deal for a euro already playing in the league. I believe both PA and Edmonton could return both their imports, and 3 of the 4 are Dmen. They have high picks, so they might opt to deal one of their guys and roll the dice on a new one... if the price is right. Would be great to nab Libor Hajek for instance.

    A bit pie-in-the-sky, but the following sample pairings wouldn't be too far off talent wise their line up this year IMO, when you factor in the below guys will be another year older.

    Mahura/Olson
    Hajek/Davidson
    Smart/Williams or Bruce

    And as much as I really like Sloboshan, I'm not sure if you keep him in a O/A spot, that you have a roster that is challenging for the Mem Cup. Too bad he'll be 20.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ChuckT View Post

      Schioler to me is at best a 4, but more likely a 5/6. I think you have more upside in Smart/Davidson, hence my preference on using them and moving him (as he does have decent value for other teams). But it's not the end of the world keeping him around either.

      As for the lines, it really depends on what Paddock wants to do. Based on this year, I think he favours the 3 balanced lines, so that's why I broke it down as per the above. If Paddock opts for that route, I could see him using Leschyshyn against the other teams top line, as he is a very good two way player. That would free up the Steel and Bradley lines to focus on offense. But that also depends on how best they can fill out those lines and to the extent that they would be balanced. It would also mean some of the young guys from this year (Holmes, Lockner in particular) would need to step their game up to fill those higher roles... which I think both are capable of. I think Holmes in particular, given the right opportunity, will have a breakout year.

      And a lot will depend on the import draft. I think the Pats will have no trouble finding 2 quality replacements for Ahl and Z. Or another option is for them to deal for a euro already playing in the league. I believe both PA and Edmonton could return both their imports, and 3 of the 4 are Dmen. They have high picks, so they might opt to deal one of their guys and roll the dice on a new one... if the price is right. Would be great to nab Libor Hajek for instance.

      A bit pie-in-the-sky, but the following sample pairings wouldn't be too far off talent wise their line up this year IMO, when you factor in the below guys will be another year older.

      Mahura/Olson
      Hajek/Davidson
      Smart/Williams or Bruce

      And as much as I really like Sloboshan, I'm not sure if you keep him in a O/A spot, that you have a roster that is challenging for the Mem Cup. Too bad he'll be 20.
      I really don't think you are aiming high enough with some of your roster projections. What I see from these projections is a team that will struggle to even get back to the Eastern Conference Finals. They are going to need at least 9 real solid forwards and 5 solid defensemen. They didn't have that this year and rode their top 7 forwards and top 4 defensemen real hard and wore down.

      In the top 9 forward group at this time: Steele, Leschyshyn, Bradley, Henry, and Sloboshan. Henry really disappeared when the going got a little tougher though. Like you, I liked Sloboshan's game, but he is more of a grinder/energy 3rd line forward than a scorer. I think your OA players need to be impact guys, especially if you want to win a Memorial Cup. We have to hope that De Witt, Buziak, Holmes, and/or Lockner are able to be consistent contributors on the 2nd and 3rd lines or they will become trade bait. They will get a chance at the start of the year, but I think Paddock will quickly pull the trigger on any of these guys to improve his team.

      Defense is Mahura and a whole lot of holes. There is a lot of work to do here. Davidson and Schioler are probably more #4 and #5 guys. Smart didn't get a whole lot of icetime in the playoffs, but maybe there is a huge jump in his play as a highly drafted kid.

      I also don't think they have a goaltender to win the Memorial Cup on their roster. I watched all but two playoff games and my opinion of Brown is that he far too often ends up out of position to make what would be an easy second save. There are some situations where that can't be helped, but there are times when he just had to do a simple butterfly slide to make a stop and he ended up making awkward looking saves and ending up on his butt. I'll give him credit for looking athletic and battling, but sometimes simple is more. Technically, there are holes in his game and I also didn't like the frequency with which we gave up 2 or 3 goals in quick succession. Some of that is on the mental state of the goaltender, but also may speak to a mentally fragile team.

      Here's hoping they add a couple of 18 or 19 year old Europeans that are capable of making instant contributions. They also likely need Jost to get sent to junior. I do agree that they also likely need to upgrade on an OA spot. I do realize that sometimes you need to jump when the opportunity presents itself, but I would like to have seen them keep Hollett and given him a legit shot as the starter next fall. I haven't seen him play this year outside of the little playoff action he got, but technically he looked pretty strong in that period. He's a prototypical NHL goaltender.

      On the scary side, unless I misunderstood, Steel joined Anaheim for the playoffs and there was some talk of him dressing. I won't feel sure of him being sent back in the fall until I actually see it in print.

      Comment


      • #18
        I like Brown, and spent a lot of time defending him on the old forum. I think he is more than capable, as long as he doesn't go all Donald Choukalos haha. Besides, aside from Carter Hart or Griffen Outhouse I don't see anyone that is worth it, especially when they have so many other areas of need and not very many assets to move.

        Mahura also joined the Ducks, there was zero chance of either of them dressing.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post
          I like Brown, and spent a lot of time defending him on the old forum. I think he is more than capable, as long as he doesn't go all Donald Choukalos haha. Besides, aside from Carter Hart or Griffen Outhouse I don't see anyone that is worth it, especially when they have so many other areas of need and not very many assets to move.

          Mahura also joined the Ducks, there was zero chance of either of them dressing.
          I think he is a great kid and works hard, but I think to have a serious shot at winning they will need a goalie with the NHL or at a minimum the AHL in their future. I don't think that goalie is Tyler Brown. I believe you are a fellow goaltender. If so, the thing I really noticed about him is poor save selection leading to easy rebound goals at times because he was on his butt and therefor out of the play. That is probably the second worst spot for a goalie to be in. Like I said, I think I would have given Hollett a real shot this fall before moving him. The one thing you can't teach a goaltender is 6'5". I also really liked that kid from Lethbridge, but there is no chance that we get him. Based on the OHL teams from the last few years, just having a guy that is good enough isn't going to get it done. I do agree that they don't have a ton of assets left to move. Sadly, I think hosting might be a year too late.

          The tv guys didn't mention Mahura, but they did specifically talk about Steel and that there was some buzz that the Ducks talked about him dressing for game 6. Anaheim has a far stronger group on defense than they do upfront.

          Comment


          • #20
            i agree his style is somewhat unconventional at times, but he is an absolute battler and never gives up on a puck. There were quite a few times he gave up weak short side goals throughout the season as well. I know he trains at GDI in the summer, so I'm hoping he puts in a good amount of work with them this summer working through some of those things.

            I really wish wish they could have held onto Hollett for half a season to try and get a better read on him. Admittedly, I haven't been overly impressed with what I've seen, but it is unfair to judge a 16/17 year old goalie with irregular playing time. I think part of the issue is he's still growing into his body. But if he can stay healthy and physically mature a bit, I agree he could be really good. Unfortunately that's what made him their most attractive asset, and I think Paddock is going to try and do as much as he can in the offseason to give them as much time as possible to gel.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by lester View Post

              I really don't think you are aiming high enough with some of your roster projections. What I see from these projections is a team that will struggle to even get back to the Eastern Conference Finals. They are going to need at least 9 real solid forwards and 5 solid defensemen. They didn't have that this year and rode their top 7 forwards and top 4 defensemen real hard and wore down.

              In the top 9 forward group at this time: Steele, Leschyshyn, Bradley, Henry, and Sloboshan. Henry really disappeared when the going got a little tougher though. Like you, I liked Sloboshan's game, but he is more of a grinder/energy 3rd line forward than a scorer. I think your OA players need to be impact guys, especially if you want to win a Memorial Cup. We have to hope that De Witt, Buziak, Holmes, and/or Lockner are able to be consistent contributors on the 2nd and 3rd lines or they will become trade bait. They will get a chance at the start of the year, but I think Paddock will quickly pull the trigger on any of these guys to improve his team.

              Defense is Mahura and a whole lot of holes. There is a lot of work to do here. Davidson and Schioler are probably more #4 and #5 guys. Smart didn't get a whole lot of icetime in the playoffs, but maybe there is a huge jump in his play as a highly drafted kid.

              I also don't think they have a goaltender to win the Memorial Cup on their roster. I watched all but two playoff games and my opinion of Brown is that he far too often ends up out of position to make what would be an easy second save. There are some situations where that can't be helped, but there are times when he just had to do a simple butterfly slide to make a stop and he ended up making awkward looking saves and ending up on his butt. I'll give him credit for looking athletic and battling, but sometimes simple is more. Technically, there are holes in his game and I also didn't like the frequency with which we gave up 2 or 3 goals in quick succession. Some of that is on the mental state of the goaltender, but also may speak to a mentally fragile team.

              Here's hoping they add a couple of 18 or 19 year old Europeans that are capable of making instant contributions. They also likely need Jost to get sent to junior. I do agree that they also likely need to upgrade on an OA spot. I do realize that sometimes you need to jump when the opportunity presents itself, but I would like to have seen them keep Hollett and given him a legit shot as the starter next fall. I haven't seen him play this year outside of the little playoff action he got, but technically he looked pretty strong in that period. He's a prototypical NHL goaltender.

              On the scary side, unless I misunderstood, Steel joined Anaheim for the playoffs and there was some talk of him dressing. I won't feel sure of him being sent back in the fall until I actually see it in print.
              If you call it: Steel, Leschyshyn, Bradley, Henry, and Sloboshan as the forwards, that gives you 5. Not worried at all about Henry, he simply ran out of gas, which happens to those really young guys, he'll be fine.

              And like any WHL team, especially good ones, you always have fringe guys step up the next year. Holmes for sure is going to be one, and with some luck Lockner is there too. That gives them 7, without any Euros. They easily could pick two forwards and there are at the 9. And that's without any other deal that Paddock with undoubtedly be making.

              On D, Smart is an offensive D, asked to be lay a 5/6 role as a young kid. That's a tough spot for him. I think he'll be much better next year and Davidson was really starting to round into form before being hurt. He is a legit to 4. They have to make a move back there, and I think it will be for a 20 year old.

              This year they will be unloading some young talent as well based on hosting the Mem Cup... and with any luck they might nab at least one NCAA again this year.

              I'm all good with Brown. Hollett to me was overrated and from a 15 year old, I never really understood the hype. He's OK, but to me Brown is the better goalie. He's maybe not a prototypical pro style, but it's Jr and that's not needed. He outplayed all goalies he played against, except arguably Seattle, but I think he faced the far better chances so would still give him the edge... so not sure what else you'd need.


              Comment


              • #22
                Season ticket pricing has been announced for 2017-18;

                GOLD : $620
                SILVER : $470
                BRONZE : $360

                Appears to be a 17% increase (at least for us in silver it was 17%).

                Comment


                • #23
                  With an expansion goin on in the NHL some of the younger up and coming stars might get more of a look in the NHL (Wagner, Hobbs, Steel) there may be some surprises for guys sticking in the NHL this year.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The Regina Pats Hockey Club is proud to announce the signing of forwards Mackenzie Belinski and George King to Standard WHL Player Agreements.

                    Belinski, an eighth round selection in the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft, scored 21 goals and added 33 assists for 54 points in 44 games with the Yellowhead Chiefs of the Manitoba Midget Hockey League. The Vista, Manitoba product was named a second team all-star in the MMHL in 2016/17. The 17-year-old was also a member of Team Manitoba at the 2016 Western Canada U16 Challenge Cup.

                    King, an 18-year-old from Calgary, is a listed player by the Pats organization. King spent the 2016/17 season with the OCN Blizzard of the MJHL. He scored 36 goals and had 54 points in 55 games. King and the Blizzard appeared in the MJHL Championship series, falling to the Portage Terriers in six games, King put up seven points in 11 games in the playoffs.
                    http://reginapats.com/article/regina...inski-and-king

                    The King signing is somewhat intriguing as a will be 19 year old.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post
                      http://reginapats.com/article/regina...inski-and-king

                      The King signing is somewhat intriguing as a will be 19 year old.
                      Point per game player playing in JrA isn't too shabby. Will be interesting to see if he can bring it at the Major Junior level.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

                        Point per game player playing in JrA isn't too shabby. Will be interesting to see if he can bring it at the Major Junior level.
                        Not all that great either though. Big difference between a 16 year old Nick Henry putting up good numbers at that level and an 18 year old. He's not big either. They listed a 19 year old, with no experience and a college commit last season as well. Kind of odd to use space on the list, especially when they have quite a few spots tied up with American kids that may/may not ever report.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post
                          Season ticket pricing has been announced for 2017-18;

                          GOLD : $620
                          SILVER : $470
                          BRONZE : $360

                          Appears to be a 17% increase (at least for us in silver it was 17%).
                          Cashing in on the popularity of the Pats while they can, especially with the Memorial Cup here next year, so not surprising. Strike while the iron is hot!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ridergreengirl View Post

                            Cashing in on the popularity of the Pats while they can, especially with the Memorial Cup here next year, so not surprising. Strike while the iron is hot!
                            Looks like it worked for them. Pats season tickets for next year are SOLD OUT... in the middle of my purchase I got booted. Called about it after getting several error messages and was told they are sold out.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              They won't be officially sold out. They probably only had a limited number available today since season ticket holders and playoff package holders from last year still have a month or so to renew. The map went from about 1,000 seats left to completely shutting down. A wait list starts tomorrow and they said they'll start drawing from that within a few days.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by thedoctormd View Post

                                Looks like it worked for them. Pats season tickets for next year are SOLD OUT... in the middle of my purchase I got booted. Called about it after getting several error messages and was told they are sold out.
                                Sell as many season ticket packages as possible. I hate this whole "leave some for walkups" notion.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X