Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regina Pats... 2017-18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regina Pats... 2017-18

For those interested, thought we'd transition out of the playoff thread and move onto a Pats specific one. With that in mind, was curious where their roster is at, and what it could be like heading into next year. So here is my stab, from the info I recall/remember of which guys are in their system.

GOALIES:
    Goalies: Brown, Paddock
    Pretty good shape here, as I think Paddock has the potential to be a real solid back up. If not, they'll make a deal for a back up 18/19 year old.

DEFENSE:
    Defense: Mahura, Davidson, Smart, Schioler, Hobbs (maybe)
    Ideally they can sign: Tyler Jubenvill, Scott Perunovich
    Potentials youngsters: Owen Williams, Riley Bruce

Possible line up as I see it:
    Mahura & Euro Pick
    20 year old & Davidson/Smart
    Davidson/Smart & Schioler/young guy

Schioler is OK, but has not developed as I thought he would. I think they deal him (like they've done with Reegan, Pouteau, Freadrich, Hilsendager) and those young guys will step up.
    Game changer: Convincing Tyler Jubenvil to join the Pats. He'd slide into the top 4, moving Davidson and Smart as a real good # 3 pair.

FORWARDS:
    Forwards: Steel, Bradley, Henry, Leschyshyn, Holmes, Buziak, Lockner, Sloboshan, Wagner (maybe)
    Ideally they can sign: Jost, Landon Lagenbrunner, Kaden Bohlsen, Trevor Janicke

Posible line up as I see it:
    Holmes/Euro Pick - Steel - Henry
    Holmes/Euro Pick - Bradley - Lockner
    ? - Leschyshyn - ?
    De Wit - Muir - Buziak

Youngsters/potential trade bait: Cole Muir, Logan Nijhoff, Duncan Pierce, Riley Krane
    Game changer: pretty obvious who that would be... but Janicke would be another massive pick up

So work to be done for sure, but they've already done a good job filling one major hole. Ideally they need another top 4 D and top 6 Forward. As they saw with the playoffs this year, you need those extra bodies for deep runs.

If they managed to get one of Hobbs or Wagner back, well that's a game changer too.

If Hobbs is back, they use the 20 year old spot and deal for another 20 year old forward (my vote is Estephan to play next to Bradley).
    If Wagner is back, he plays with Steel and Henry. The Euro likely plays with Bradley; and Lockner slots into that skilled checking line with Leschyshyn, who'll obviously score too.
    Last edited by ChuckT; 05-25-2017, 06:59 PM.

Based on the final(?) interview Paddock gave, it sounds like they promised a spot on the team to Bohlsen if he decides to sign. Kind of an odd thing to do as He wouldn't be an impact player next year.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post
      Based on the final(?) interview Paddock gave, it sounds like they promised a spot on the team to Bohlsen if he decides to sign. Kind of an odd thing to do as He wouldn't be an impact player next year.
      Interesting, I should listen to that.

But from what I've heard, skates real well for a big kid (at his age), and has real quality hands. Plays a tough game, like Lockner, but with a bit more skill.

He likely has no chance if he does not get him this upcoming year and the Mem Cup carrot is a huge, huge bonus for a kid trying improve his draft stock so will be interesting to see if Paddock can convince another kid. They could really use with the D-men from Manitoba though. That would be huge.

Comment

Do you know if Jubenvill is graduating high school this year? Late birthday so it's possible he has another year, just wondering when he's committed to go to Bemidji since he signed so young.

Checking out his twitter, he doesn't list that he's a Bemidji State commit in the bio... Haha.

Comment

Do you know if Jubenvill is graduating high school this year? Late birthday so it's possible he has another year, just wondering when he's committed to go to Bemidji since he signed so young.

Checking out his twitter, he doesn't list that he's a Bemidji State commit in the bio... Haha.
          Elite Prospects (usually bang on) has him committed to Bemidji State for 2018-2019.

As for Bohlsen he isn't likely an impact player if he comes up here at 16. He only had 9 goals in 52 games at Shattuck-St. Mary's, and he wasn't playing on their Prep team (played on the U16 team--a tier lower).

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckT View Post
            For those interested, thought we'd transition out of the playoff thread and move onto a Pats specific one. With that in mind, was curious where their roster is at, and what it could be like heading into next year. So here is my stab, from the info I recall/remember of which guys are in their system.

GOALIES:
            Goalies: Brown, Paddock
            Pretty good shape here, as I think Paddock has the potential to be a real solid back up. If not, they'll make a deal for a back up 18/19 year old.

DEFENSE:
            Defense: Mahura, Davidson, Smart, Schioler, Hobbs (maybe)
            Ideally they can sign: Tyler Jubenvill, Scott Perunovich
            Potentials youngsters: Owen Williams, Riley Bruce

Possible line up as I see it:
            Mahura & Euro Pick
            20 year old & Davidson/Smart
            Davidson/Smart & Schioler/young guy

Schioler is OK, but has not developed as I thought he would. I think they deal him (like they've done with Reegan, Pouteau, Freadrich, Hilsendager) and those young guys will step up.
            Game changer: Convincing Tyler Jubenvil to join the Pats. He'd slide into the top 4, moving Davidson and Smart as a real good # 3 pair.

FORWARDS:
            Forwards: Steel, Bradley, Henry, Leschyshyn, Holmes, Buziak, Lockner, Sloboshan, Wagner (maybe)
            Ideally they can sign: Jost, Landon Lagenbrunner, Kaden Bohlsen, Trevor Janicke

Posible line up as I see it:
            Holmes/Euro Pick - Steel - Henry
            Holmes/Euro Pick - Bradley - Lockner
            ? - Leschyshyn - ?
            De Wit - Muir - Buziak

Youngsters/potential trade bait: Cole Muir, Logan Nijhoff, Duncan Pierce, Riley Krane
            Game changer: pretty obvious who that would be... but Janicke would be another massive pick up

So work to be done for sure, but they've already done a good job filling one major hole. Ideally they need another top 4 D and top 6 Forward. As they saw with the playoffs this year, you need those extra bodies for deep runs.

If they managed to get one of Hobbs or Wagner back, well that's a game changer too.

If Hobbs is back, they use the 20 year old spot and deal for another 20 year old forward (my vote is Estephan to play next to Bradley).
            If Wagner is back, he plays with Steel and Henry. The Euro likely plays with Bradley; and Lockner slots into that skilled checking line with Leschyshyn, who'll obviously score too.
            if Hobbs is back you think they trade for another 20 to play with Bradley? Brown would have to go then

Comment

Originally posted by jaydogg21 View Post

if Hobbs is back you think they trade for another 20 to play with Bradley? Brown would have to go then
              Ha - apparently got too excited about that prospect and still getting another 20 year old somehow. Brown is not going anywhere, he is locked in so that wouldn't be an option minus something major happening.

But would really like to see them get Estephan though... but I think more leadership on the point is a bigger priority (either Hobbs or trade).

Comment

Damn. Him and Cody Glass sould be a dynamic duo and the favorites out in the West next yr.

BComptonNHL:
                Can confirm Kieffer Bellows is leaving BU. Will join Portland in WHL. #Isles

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                  Damn. Him and Cody Glass sould be a dynamic duo and the favorites out in the West next yr.

BComptonNHL:
                  Can confirm Kieffer Bellows is leaving BU. Will join Portland in WHL. #Isles
                  They will be very good. Of their top 10 scorers I think Iverson is the only guy they are losing. They'll use their OA spots likely on Jones, Texeira and Kehler. They will be a favourite for sure out there.

Comment

In doing a quick peak at things, and assuming the Pats do need a 20 year old spot filled, I am leaning toward going after Tate Olson from PG.

The Cougars had an extremely old team this year, so they are going to be itching for both young players and picks. I think a deal could be had for a pick and Schioler. I would not be giving them either of Davidson or Smart.

Comment

I like the idea of acquiring Olson as well. And PG has to get rid of a bunch of 20s so I think their price might be a little low early in the season. I like Schioler, but I agree he's likely expendable on such a team. There was a lot of hype around him when he came up. Hasn't lived up to that, but he's still been very steady and was likely one of there better defensive defenceman outside of big Z.

Comment

I like the idea of acquiring Olson as well. And PG has to get rid of a bunch of 20s so I think their price might be a little low early in the season. I like Schioler, but I agree he's likely expendable on such a team. There was a lot of hype around him when he came up. Hasn't lived up to that, but he's still been very steady and was likely one of there better defensive defenceman outside of big Z.
                        Agree. I like Schioler, but he while his D is pretty solid, his O game has not come around. And the Pats need someone back there with some grit and I think Olson brings that. I'd like to see them get one more guy as a 6/7 guy, who is simply a mean SOB.

Comment

We have a solid base returning. I'm a bit concerned with our D. Be really nice to get Hobbs back!

Comment

Nice work! A dedicated Pats thread to talk about next year's team, what moves need to be made and to make fun of Moose Jaw residents.

We heard from the Pats this week, sounds like season ticket renewal will be soon. Season ticket holders will have their seats secured for a couple months before they get opened up to the public.

Comment

Wagner and Hobbs won't be back. I think some nails were driven into that coffin when they made the Bradley trade.

Pats already have 3 OAs - Bradley, Brown and Sloboshian. However they may not be their final O/As, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think Schioler is someone I would be worrying about. He is a really solid stay at home defence man, who has way more grit than Harrison did.

I would be really surprised if Lesychyn (sp.) isn't the second centre next year. He is ready for it, and was ready for it this year to be honest. He was a point per game player on the 3rd line, and excelled while Brooks was away at the start of the year.

I would be betting that Bradley plays on a wing this year, and Sloboshian centers the 3rd line.

I'm really hoping that Paddock is able to wrangle another Ahl or two. A couple drafted Euro's that have parent clubs wanting them to pay in more games / more physical NHL style games.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X