Edmonton Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madmax View Post

What if said player turns out to be not worth the $ and draft picks you spent on him? Now your really in a hole. I can sign an UFA and still have my draft picks to use or trade. Plus remember you also now have to probably overpay your RFA's in order to keep them because offer sheets will be coming back to bite you. Thus you have driven the market price for players up.
    I don't recall RFA salaries going up much when the Oilers overpaid for their 3 stars a few years back?? You generally don't see a Draisaitl in UFA. If you have any RFA's that are comparable to Draisaitl you wouldn't be the team making the offer sheet, that's the point of doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

I don't recall RFA salaries going up much when the Oilers overpaid for their 3 stars a few years back?? You generally don't see a Draisaitl in UFA. If you have any RFA's that are comparable to Draisaitl you wouldn't be the team making the offer sheet, that's the point of doing it.

And I don't recall anyone tendering offer sheets to their 3 stars. I do recall a GM at the time that was in way over his head though.
      Last edited by go riders; 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post

And I don't recall anyone tendering offer sheets to their 3 stars. I do recall a GM at the time that was in way over his head though.
        You said overpaying for RFA's could lead to higher salaries for other RFA's?? The Oilers did more damage on that front than an offer sheet for Draisaitl ever would when they did it for the 3.

Comment

• I'm with Bates, teams should make better use of the offer sheet.

Comment

• It wasn't that long ago that Philly offer sheeted Weber in Nashville and they ended up having to match and deal with a pretty big contract. I recall Calgary doing one a few years ago that would have been one of the biggest blunders ever as well (O'Reilly in Colorado?) as he would have had to pass through waivers if Colorado chose not to match.

Comment

• And for what it's worth the Dustin Penner trade didn't really end up that bad for the Oilers. They got lucky that Anaheim essentially did nothing with those picks (one of them was actually Justin Schultz who ironically signed with the Oilers eventually). When the Oilers traded him to LA they got a 1st rounder they used to pick Oscar Klefbom.

Comment

• Does Jordan Eberle for Jason Demers actually make any sense for the Edmonton Oilers?

Comment

• Edmonton Oilers G.M. Peter Chiarelli sets to work on his post-season priorities: 9 Things

Comment

• Ryan Nugent-Hopkins did not take a step forward offensively, nor in the face-off circle, but he is just 24 years old. Seems to me a little more patience is required, before giving up. And all Jordan Eberle did in his “disappointing” season was finish 3rd in team scoring, and hit 20 goals for the 5th of his seven seasons (including the lock-out). Until McDavid’s ELC is up, Peter Chiarelli doesn’t “have” to do anything with these three, and I don’t think he will.
                    Surprised you linked an article with such drivel!

Comment

• Originally posted by tommy_boy View Post

Surprised you linked an article with such drivel!
                      It's all up for grabs. Up to you all to choose to read and if you do, make up your own minds.

Comment

• ACL tear put a sour ending to a sweet season for Oilers' workhorse Andrej Sekera

Comment

• Demers? Dumba? Vatanen? Not likely. When Chiarelli says something, he usually does it

Comment

• Those scenarios where Vegas ends up taking Kris Russell or Benoit Pouliot from the Edmonton Oilers in expansion draft

Comment

• Eberle will go once they find the right deal... I had wondered about an Shattenkirk for Eberle deal a while ago... would have been interesting to see how that would have played out.

Draisaitl is both not going anyway, and is in for a big, big payday. He will not be near $ 6M... that's very wishful thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChuckT View Post
                                Eberle will go once they find the right deal... I had wondered about an Shattenkirk for Eberle deal a while ago... would have been interesting to see how that would have played out.

Draisaitl is both not going anyway, and is in for a big, big payday. He will not be near $ 6M... that's very wishful thinking.
                                I think the "right" deal will be relative. If Edmonton holds out hoping for a big trade for Eberle, they may not get any takers to make a deal. The right deal could very well be a later round pick, and eating some of his salary. Time will tell.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X