Edmonton Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bates View Post

I wouldn't do that. Demers is average and just has the Oilers paying too much for a 3rd pairing D rather than an winger. Take the pill now rather than over a few years.
    And not to ignite the debate but Demers has played his career in San Jose, Dallas, and Florida. He has a NTC that I doubt he would waive for Canadian winters.

Comment

No, it would either get your team a better player or lessen your competitor's ability to ice a better lineup. Every single year a bunch of UFA's get more money then they are worth, what's wrong with actually overpaying a really good player?? Nobody flinches when you outbid a team for their UFA's but for some reason RFA's a sacred cows??
      RFA's come with a huge price tag with the draft picks. UFA's don't. Big difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post

RFA's come with a huge price tag with the draft picks. UFA's don't. Big difference.
        So are you telling me that if Edmonton picked up the phone tomorrow and offered a Draisaitl signed long term they would have trouble getting an offer of 2 first round picks with a 2nd and 3rd??? Then why doesn't a team devoid of 1st line center make the offer sheet to Draisaitl? The reference was not to cost of acquisition but rather the taking of other teams players.

Comment

So are you telling me that if Edmonton picked up the phone tomorrow and offered a Draisaitl signed long term they would have trouble getting an offer of 2 first round picks with a 2nd and 3rd??? Then why doesn't a team devoid of 1st line center make the offer sheet to Draisaitl? The reference was not to cost of acquisition but rather the taking of other teams players.
          Not saying that they would have trouble at all. Said a RFA costs draft picks and UFA doesn't. Not so hard.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post

Not saying that they would have trouble at all. Said a RFA costs draft picks and UFA doesn't. Not so hard.
            So if the player is worth the compensation why are teams not using offer sheets to make their team better or their opponent weaker? That's still my question. The only logical answers I can see if you are too nice to use every option to make your team better?? Or you are afraid of your competitors??

Comment

• Terry Jones: Edmonton Oilers reader survey results show fanbase wants team to trade Jordan Eberle

Comment

• Oilers' defence prospect Ethan Bear has earned his ticket to the Memorial Cup, by guest scout Ben Berland

Comment

• They need to get Eberle out this summer before he becomes the new whipping boy next season like guys from the past such as Poti, Shultz , and Whitney. He's not part of the future so needs a new address quickly for him and the team.

Comment

• Speculation: Oilers in on Defenceman Jan Rutta?

Comment

So if the player is worth the compensation why are teams not using offer sheets to make their team better or their opponent weaker? That's still my question. The only logical answers I can see if you are too nice to use every option to make your team better?? Or you are afraid of your competitors??
                      Teams don't want their own RFAs offer sheeted, so they don't do it to other teams. They have control over RFAs right now. If offer sheets started flying around on the norm, players gain back some power. Everybody likes the status quo, so it's unlikely to change. The rare offer sheets that have been entered are usually desperate teams trying to grab a player from a budget team.

Comment

They need to get Eberle out this summer before he becomes the new whipping boy next season like guys from the past such as Poti, Shultz , and Whitney. He's not part of the future so needs a new address quickly for him and the team.
                        It's already gotten to the point of ridiculousness. The fans and media rode Justin Schultz out of town and he's done quite well since then.

I think the fans and media got so use to losing constantly that they still act as if the franchise is in the tank and rash moves need to be made to satisfy some people. 103 points and getting to the 7th game of the 2nd round in a year that I didn't even expect a playoff spot isn't a failure and I'm pretty sure no "whipping boys" are needed at this point. They obviously will make some changes just like any good or forward thinking team should but that's it. No one needs to be slammed constantly in the media at this point.
                        Last edited by pappcam; 05-19-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post

It's already gotten to the point of ridiculousness. The fans and media rode Justin Schultz out of town and he's done quite well since then.

I think the fans and media got so use to losing constantly that they still act as if the franchise is in the tank and rash moves need to be made to satisfy some people. 103 points and getting to the 7th game of the 2nd round in a year that I didn't even expect a playoff spot isn't a failure and I'm pretty sure no "whipping boys" are needed at this point. They obviously will make some changes just like any good or forward thinking team should but that's it. No one needs to be slammed constantly in the media at this point.
                          I'm not an Oilers fan so maybe I've got this all wrong, but I thought most fans would be pretty happy with the season. Like you said, I thought they exceeded expectations. I also don't understand why some feel the need to be so negative about certain players.

Comment

• Originally posted by pappcam View Post

I agree with you about the whipping boy but it has started. Eberle's contract will be leaving in the next 12 months so I think the Oilers should get that done as quickly as reasonably possible for the good of both. There is nothing wrong with the player except the contract can't work with Oiler's Cap. He will do well elsewhere when his role can suit his skillset. And personally I hate the whipping boy routine, these guys work their butts off to get to the NHL and none are trying to fail, sometimes it just isn't the best fit forever.

Comment

• Seravalli: Don't see one of Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins in Edmonton next season

Comment

What if said player turns out to be not worth the $ and draft picks you spent on him? Now your really in a hole. I can sign an UFA and still have my draft picks to use or trade. Plus remember you also now have to probably overpay your RFA's in order to keep them because offer sheets will be coming back to bite you. Thus you have driven the market price for players up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X