Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edmonton Oilers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gersh View Post

Pretty much like pappcam said - Bobby Nicks is unfortunately here for a while regardless if the Oilers make the playoffs or not. I want my team to win of course, so I am gonna be hopeful for them to miraculously make it into the playoffs.
    Nicholson has to get the picking of the next GM right cause if he doesn't, that will indeed be his sword to fall on.
    I don't see Bob as the problem with the Oilers. If a new coach and GM aren't enough to turn that franchise around, then the real problem is probably with the ownership. No amount of firing people will fix that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

I don't see Bob as the problem with the Oilers. If a new coach and GM aren't enough to turn that franchise around, then the real problem is probably with the ownership. No amount of firing people will fix that one.
      Maybe not THE problem, but part of the problem. He hired Chiarelli without even interviewing anyone else..he stood by and allowed Chia to dismantle the club bit by bit, saying that he believed in Pete's plan. He's the CEO and in charge of the hockey operations...and has let the culture sour even further within the franchise. Is he responsible for it all? Nope..but what good has he done? None that I can see.

Comment

• Originally posted by gersh View Post

Maybe not THE problem, but part of the problem. He hired Chiarelli without even interviewing anyone else..he stood by and allowed Chia to dismantle the club bit by bit, saying that he believed in Pete's plan. He's the CEO and in charge of the hockey operations...and has let the culture sour even further within the franchise. Is he responsible for it all? Nope..but what good has he done? None that I can see.
        I don't blame Bob for hiring Chiarelli and sticking with him for a while. Chiarelli ended a huge playoff drought. For a while everyone was excited about the Oilers, and his plan seemed to be working. Then it unravelled. Bob gave Chiarelli one last chance to turn it around by changing coaches. But the more things unravelled, the worse Chirarelli's moves became. He needed to be fired.

You could argue that Bob could've fired him earlier, or shouldn't have hired him in the first place, but the results in 201617 bought Chiarelli a fair bit of time. Considering how awful things were before Chiarelli got here, that is fairly justifiable. Most hockey presidents in the same situation would've made the same moves that Bob did.

The next hire will be key, for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post

I don't blame Bob for hiring Chiarelli and sticking with him for a while. Chiarelli ended a huge playoff drought. For a while everyone was excited about the Oilers, and his plan seemed to be working. Then it unravelled. Bob gave Chiarelli one last chance to turn it around by changing coaches. But the more things unravelled, the worse Chirarelli's moves became. He needed to be fired.

You could argue that Bob could've fired him earlier, or shouldn't have hired him in the first place, but the results in 201617 bought Chiarelli a fair bit of time. Considering how awful things were before Chiarelli got here, that is fairly justifiable. Most hockey presidents in the same situation would've made the same moves that Bob did.

The next hire will be key, for sure.
          Chiarelli got behind the curve of where the NHL was heading and it cost him his job. Take Gagner. Used to be part of the problem with the Oilers. Part of a too small team in a big tough division that was constantly behind pushed around when heavy hockey wasn't penalized the way it is now. Now Gagner's part of the solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Chiarelli got behind the curve of where the NHL was heading and it cost him his job. Take Gagner. Used to be part of the problem with the Oilers. Part of a too small team in a big tough division that was constantly behind pushed around when heavy hockey wasn't penalized the way it is now. Now Gagner's part of the solution.
            I agree. Gagner is a good example really. At his peak he was deemed expendable due to his size, but now even though he's past his peak, he's a helpful addition.

Another example is Lucic. I think everyone (including Chiarelli) knew the back end of the Lucic deal was going to be less than great. He made the deal anyhow, believing the Oilers had too little grit, with a lot of small skilled forwards but not enough size or defence. That wasn't necessarily wrong, even accounting for how the NHL was evolving. The West was still a division where the small teams were getting pounded every time they went on a California road trip, and even now we see that playoff success requires more grit than regular season success does. So he made sure they won the Lucic bidding war, knowing that it wasn't an ideal deal.

In the first year, it looked like that gamble had paid off. The Oilers went from over a decade outside the playoffs to being able to compete with the big teams in California. What he didn't predict was that the bad years of the Lucic deal wouldn't just be the last one or two, but rather all all of them minus the first one.

Chiarelli tried to turn the Oilers into the 2011 Bruins. That strategy looks worse and worse every year, as team success in the NHL is taken over more by skill and speed.

Comment

• I expect tonight to be the final nail in the coffin for the Oilers' playoff hopes. Against Las Vegas, on a Sunday, second night of a back to back, and against a backup goalie. The only way it could be worse is if it was an afternoon game. The Devils loss was such an Oilers loss, that this would also go in fitting fashion.

Comment

• Originally posted by TryingHardly View Post
                I expect tonight to be the final nail in the coffin for the Oilers' playoff hopes. Against Las Vegas, on a Sunday, second night of a back to back, and against a backup goalie. The only way it could be worse is if it was an afternoon game. The Devils loss was such an Oilers loss, that this would also go in fitting fashion.
                Yep - they done now

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X