Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memorial Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Cup

Swift Current pulled it off and will represent the WHL at the Memorial Cup. Having a team from 2 hours down the highway must be a perfect scenario for the organizing committee.

Last time the Broncos were in the Memorial Cup hosted in another Saskatchewan city it turned out pretty well, hoping for a repeat.

Also the Hamilton Bulldogs and Acadie-Bathurst Titan

Comment

Can't say I was upset watching that cocky Sault Ste Marie team get bounced on the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsey2k View Post
        Also the Hamilton Bulldogs and Acadie-Bathurst Titan
        How about John Gruden? Fired twice by Flint in the same season and now coach of an OHL champion -- with a bunch of Firebirds.

Flint Firebirds should pass a huge thank you to Rolf Nilsen firing him twice. Rolf is a major tool.

Comment

I don't like seeing Swift succeed just from a rivalry stand point, but last night at 11pm, I did sell my Saturday Afternoon Memorial Cup tickets so that will fund my drinks for the other games of the week!

Comment

Very happy to hear Swift won. Hope they take it all. Always nice to see a small town beat the big centers .

Comment

From an integrity point of view I donít like how the host team gets a automatic bye into the tournament. I know they do this to sell tickets to the local market but it turns out three teams legitimately earn an entry into the tournament and one team parachutes in. How ridiculous would it be if the Grey Cup host team earns a bye into the Grey Cup game. A huge asterisk should be beside any host team winning the Memorial Cup when they havenít been the champions of their league and earning the right to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by yqrsyd View Post
                From an integrity point of view I donít like how the host team gets a automatic bye into the tournament. I know they do this to sell tickets to the local market but it turns out three teams legitimately earn an entry into the tournament and one team parachutes in. How ridiculous would it be if the Grey Cup host team earns a bye into the Grey Cup game. A huge asterisk should be beside any host team winning the Memorial Cup when they havenít been the champions of their league and earning the right to be there.
                Then you would only have 3 teams playing if the host team wasnít in it

Comment

And what would your solution be?

Comment

It's the same for pretty much every league that determines a champion by year end tournament, as far as I know.

Comment

Windsor isnít apologizing for winning as host last year and their Mem Cup Champions banner has no asterisk. If there is no host team, nobody watches this event in a neutral site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustard Tiger View Post

It's the same for pretty much every league that determines a champion by year end tournament, as far as I know.
                        That may be so but it still compromises the integrity of the year end tournaments. Since 1983 when the Memorial Cup moved to give the host team a bye, eight Memorial cup winners did not win their league championship but got a hosting bye in the tournament and won it. I just canít see that as being as worthy a victory compared to a team thatís won their league then won the Memorial Cup. Also a host team that is eliminated in their playoffs early can be well rested and have a decided advantage compared to the other teams that have fought through three playoff rounds to get there. The Pats are in that situation which can create an unlevel playing field when a well rested team plays a a tired team.

Comment

That may be so but it still compromises the integrity of the year end tournaments. Since 1983 when the Memorial Cup moved to give the host team a bye, eight Memorial cup winners did not win their league championship but got a hosting bye in the tournament and won it. I just canít see that as being as worthy a victory compared to a team thatís won their league then won the Memorial Cup. Also a host team that is eliminated in their playoffs early can be well rested and have a decided advantage compared to the other teams that have fought through three playoff rounds to get there. The Pats are in that situation which can create an unlevel playing field when a well rested team plays a a tired team.
                          They still have to win the games at the Memorial Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

Windsor isnít apologizing for winning as host last year and their Mem Cup Champions banner has no asterisk. If there is no host team, nobody watches this event in a neutral site.
                            Plus it would be an unbalanced slate of teams at the memorial cup 3 teams instead of 4

Comment

Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

Because Windsor and seven other hosts teams did not earn their entry in the Memorial Cup by winning their league, I see it cheapening their Memorial Cup championships. Maybe this is a necessary evil to have to sell tickets but it still compromises the integrity of the tournament to have parachuting host teams play and sometimes win.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X