Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Olympics - PyeongChang, South Korea

Russia banned from 2018 Olympics as a competing nation

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...-idUSKBN1DZ2QZ

Apparently the Russians will now need to decide whether to boycott entirely or whether they are willing to have their athletes attend as neutral (with the possibility of marching as Russia in the closing ceremonies).

The KHL had threatened to ban any of its players from participating if Russia was banned. Since the President of the KHL was one of the people banned by IOC (for his role as organiser of the Sochi Olympics), I would think they're going to keep with that stance. The main problem for them is that they're affiliated with IIHF, who require all of their affiliated leagues to provide players for IIHF sanctioned tournaments.

Rumour is that the KHL is considering breaking away from IIHF and banning their players from the Olympics. I imagine a few athletes would opt to leave the KHL rather than adhere to that ban, especially non-Russians like Ben Scrivens who would likely be Canada's starting goalie. KHL would suspend them, but would IIHF enforce the suspensions of a league that just broke away?

The next few days could be pretty interesting for the Olympics and for Hockey Canada.

Comment

Makes me wonder if Betman knew this was going to happen all a long

Comment

bye bye cheaters

Comment

Russia won't boycott. It seems the IOC's decision to label their athletes as "Olympic Athletes from Russia" (OAR) was a big part of why they are willing to compete. No word on what the KHL will do. Their president is likely quite pissed off at IOC, but with their own athletes and IIHF pressuring them to play, and no backing from Putin, I doubt the KHL acts unilaterally.

Comment

I didn't even realize it snowed in South Korea

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
              I didn't even realize it snowed in South Korea
              I think I knew, but only because of those episodes of MASH where it was really cold out.

Comment

Originally posted by squish View Post

I think I knew, but only because of those episodes of MASH where it was really cold out.
                Was mash in south or north?

Comment

Originally posted by Unityriderguy View Post

Was mash in south or north?
                  MASH units, both in the shows and in real life were in South Korea. But some not very far from the border of North Korea, like the ones near Wonju.

Comment

The Korean war never ended. They live under a truce.

Comment

I find the concept if Russia being banned but Russian athetes going but not as Team Russia so dumb. How exactly are they being banned if they are sending a team?? Is the world supposed to not notice they re from Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post
                        I find the concept if Russia being banned but Russian athetes going but not as Team Russia so dumb. How exactly are they being banned if they are sending a team?? Is the world supposed to not notice they re from Russia?
                        Would think that there would be no officials or coaches, just the athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bates View Post
                          Yup, ridiculous idea ...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X