Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary Flames new arena hopes are dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the Islanders announced yesterday that they intend to build themselves a new arena with their own money. AZ has fallen several times trying to get another Suburb to build them an arena. The Flames have little public support for their huge demand for public funding. I suspect the Flames are about to see that the appetite for funding millionaires and billionaires has really taken a hit for Joe Public. They might want to reach a reasonable deal before it's completely gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post
      So the Islanders announced yesterday that they intend to build themselves a new arena with their own money. AZ has fallen several times trying to get another Suburb to build them an arena. The Flames have little public support for their huge demand for public funding. I suspect the Flames are about to see that the appetite for funding millionaires and billionaires has really taken a hit for Joe Public. They might want to reach a reasonable deal before it's completely gone.
      Great to hear a pro sports team getting off the gravy train and building their own arena!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bates View Post
        So the Islanders announced yesterday that they intend to build themselves a new arena with their own money. AZ has fallen several times trying to get another Suburb to build them an arena. The Flames have little public support for their huge demand for public funding. I suspect the Flames are about to see that the appetite for funding millionaires and billionaires has really taken a hit for Joe Public. They might want to reach a reasonable deal before it's completely gone.
        Good for the Islanders, Barclays Center really isn't a proper NHL arena anyways. Is there any appetite in Calgary for a Winter Olympic bid anymore? I thought there was talk about that once upon a time. If an Olympic bid were to be successful I could see politicians falling over themselves throwing public money at that - which usually means new venues & facilities.

Comment

• I read an article that stated there is talk of building a privately financed arena in downtown San Diego, and they could potentially be interested in a hockey or a basketball team, although they feel it can be profitable without, similar to Kansas City.

Comment

• An update on the Flames' potential new arena.
            Months after talks to replace Calgary’s aging Saddledome broke down, city council has extended an olive branch in the form of a new committee aimed at bringing all the parties back to the negotiating table.

Comment

• I see the City of Calgary has set aside around $1.5 Billion in new ventures for the city ans in their list they mention the word "arena". Of course this doesn't mean it's happening, but it may not be completely dead.

Comment

• As they said in Monty Python "not quite dead yet". They aren't releasing a lot of details. I read something on Sat which said they had it structured in away that would not increase property tax to pay for it which had me intrigued.

Comment

• Just the other day WinSport announced that they might not be able to keep the old Olympic venues going much longer. The much needed Fieldhouse is still nowhere on the radar, nor is any improvement to McMahon. The arena is still being talked about as well, mostly under the guise of expanding the convention centre. They need to tack it onto another project for it to have any chance of moving to the front of the line. Even then, it could be a very tough sell, which is why they're keeping the public as far away from discussions as possible.

Lots of different groups in Calgary have their hands out asking government for help, trying to access even a small portion of the big injection of government money that the public just turned down. I think Calgary is going to really regret their decision.

Comment

• Well, this should help a bit:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...sion-1.5053340

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X