Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XFL Crisis Watch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XFL Crisis Watch

    Just wanted to get in on the ground floor.

    We can use this thread to discuss every financial "glitch", organisational "misunderstanding" and sign of stability issues.

    Enjoy!
    Mikka makka moo.

  • #2
    https://adage.com/article/media/vinc...launch/317183/

    Comment


    • #3
      Excited for the 6 or 7 posters to comment how this will threaten the CFLs existence and forget completely that no one wants to watch watered down talent in oversaturated markets.

      I predict we don't even get a league final this time around.
      Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

      Comment


      • #4
        I am all in for XFL 2.0. I simply lurv watching millionaires losing big piles of cash...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by THE RULK View Post
          I am all in for XFL 2.0. I simply lurv watching millionaires losing big piles of cash...
          Especially when they seek out to Make Football Great Again

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by THE RULK View Post
            I am all in for XFL 2.0. I simply lurv watching millionaires losing big piles of cash...
            Vince McMahon is not a millionaire.... pretty sure he will be the first to tell you he's a billionaire.

            Vince is a smart business person and doesn't fail at much I expect the XFL 2.0 will do far better than any of the other start up leagues, and he has a succession plan in his wrestling business so he has lots of time to dedicate to making the XFL go. There are thousands of kids finishing college every year so there will be plenty of players to go around.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

              Vince McMahon is not a millionaire.... pretty sure he will be the first to tell you he's a billionaire.

              Vince is a smart business person and doesn't fail at much I expect the XFL 2.0 will do far better than any of the other start up leagues, and he has a succession plan in his wrestling business so he has lots of time to dedicate to making the XFL go. There are thousands of kids finishing college every year so there will be plenty of players to go around.
              For two years we heard how great the business plan was for the AAF and how "they were different than other leagues". Yet, where did they find themselves in week 2?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by go riders View Post

                For two years we heard how great the business plan was for the AAF and how "they were different than other leagues". Yet, where did they find themselves in week 2?
                Exactly. Doesn't matter if the guy running is named Vince McMahon, Donald Trump or Aaron Fairooz....the bottom line is that people are only interested in college football and the NFL down south. Nobody wants to watch watered down garbage. It has no tradition or following....and quite frankly its as boring as you can get. Gimmicks just cheapen it even more.
                Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by go riders View Post

                  For two years we heard how great the business plan was for the AAF and how "they were different than other leagues". Yet, where did they find themselves in week 2?
                  My hunch is the XFL lasts longer............but not due to the reasons you outline with are exactly correct. I just think McMahon's ego doesn't want an exact repeat so the XFL will likely go beyond one season. But it'll bleed red like mad and perhaps after say, Year 2, it'll be as obvious to McMahon as it was to the AAF people like Dundon that "this thing just ain't gonna fly."

                  The plug will get pulled. Going into primarily NFL cities is just ludicrous. But how many times have we seen this before? Rich men and their giant egos thinking they can create a demand where one simply does not exist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

                    My hunch is the XFL lasts longer............but not due to the reasons you outline with are exactly correct. I just think McMahon's ego doesn't want an exact repeat so the XFL will likely go beyond one season. But it'll bleed red like mad and perhaps after say, Year 2, it'll be as obvious to McMahon as it was to the AAF people like Dundon that "this thing just ain't gonna fly."

                    The plug will get pulled. Going into primarily NFL cities is just ludicrous. But how many times have we seen this before? Rich men and their giant egos thinking they can create a demand where one simply does not exist.
                    Given the fact there is one person and one person only behind the XFL (and he is the guy with the money), I agree that the XFL will last longer, until at least season 2. It will bleed so much cash, especially in the NFL cities, that it will die too. Did the Atlanta Legends ever break 10K at the gate?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

                      Vince McMahon is not a millionaire.... pretty sure he will be the first to tell you he's a billionaire.

                      Vince is a smart business person and doesn't fail at much I expect the XFL 2.0 will do far better than any of the other start up leagues, and he has a succession plan in his wrestling business so he has lots of time to dedicate to making the XFL go. There are thousands of kids finishing college every year so there will be plenty of players to go around.
                      There are thousands of players coming out of college but my God they put on a garbage show. Factor in guys like Jeff Fisher and generic Schottenheimer are going to get coaching gigs.

                      The league already failed once and that's when people still thought watered down, out of season football had potential.

                      Vince is an insane egotistical billionaire who people always think is some brain genius businessman but will absolutely fail in hilarious fashion again.
                      Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Don't understand why they would put teams in the NFL cities. South Carolina, Oregon, Mississippi , Alabama, Utah, Nebraska, Austin, San Antonio, Milwaukie, Columbus. Oklahoma City are some markets that come to mind. If you are a dedicated and spoiled NFL season ticket holder why would you waste your money going to one of these games?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by brady View Post
                          Don't understand why they would put teams in the NFL cities. South Carolina, Oregon, Mississippi , Alabama, Utah, Nebraska, Austin, San Antonio, Milwaukie, Columbus. Oklahoma City are some markets that come to mind. If you are a dedicated and spoiled NFL season ticket holder why would you waste your money going to one of these games?
                          All those areas minus San Antonio have college teams they care about way more than they care about the NFL in general let alone an XFL team. Whatever you put in those regions will be second (or third) fiddle to college football or NBA teams.

                          If you are a dedicated and spoiled P5 school season ticket holder/student/fan in general why would you waste your money going to watch inferior games?
                          Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bignorm View Post

                            Vince McMahon is not a millionaire.... pretty sure he will be the first to tell you he's a billionaire.

                            Vince is a smart business person and doesn't fail at much I expect the XFL 2.0 will do far better than any of the other start up leagues, and he has a succession plan in his wrestling business so he has lots of time to dedicate to making the XFL go. There are thousands of kids finishing college every year so there will be plenty of players to go around.
                            Lack of players has never been a problem. That huge player base is part of why people keep trying to start new leagues. They know there will be no trouble filling their rosters.

                            The problem is a marketing one. These leagues are ultimately competing with the amateur leagues that produce all of those players. Your choices are to compete with the NFL (which is what Vince is doing), or operate in non NFL markets which usually means you're competing with NCAA. High school football is pretty big too. People already get a huge fill of football outside of the NFL. They don't need another pro league for that.

                            AAF tried to get around that problem by being complimentary to NCAA and the NFL. They assigned players to teams based on where they went to college, trying to gain that following, while making it clear that they were an NFL feeder rather than an NFL competitor. It didn't matter. People still prefer their NFL and their NCAA.

                            I'm not sure what Vince will be able to do different, other than being more able to absorb losses. His original XFL had much better attendance than AAF, but I'm not so sure he'll be able to reach and maintain those crowds again. It is also not a given that he'd survive long even with 20-30K crowds. He'll have a league where they'll be paying players more than the CFL average salary for the season, using revenues from just 5 CFL sized crowds (rather than the 9 that our teams have). I don't know how you generate enough ticket and TV revenue in a 10 week season to pay better wages than the CFL does for an 18 week season.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

                              All those areas minus San Antonio have college teams they care about way more than they care about the NFL in general let alone an XFL team. Whatever you put in those regions will be second (or third) fiddle to college football or NBA teams.

                              If you are a dedicated and spoiled P5 school season ticket holder/student/fan in general why would you waste your money going to watch inferior games?
                              I am not sure this league will fly regardless of were they play. The original and successful AFL placed many of their teams in non-NFL locals. Boston, Buffalo, Cincy, KC, Dallas, Houston , Denver, San Diego . I was simply looking at what worked for the one league that did succeed. The second factor is most of these franchises had wealthy owners who were able to endure the early years. The XFL is different because they appear to a one man operation.

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X