Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Sam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Sam

Michael Sam Says NFL Gave Him a “Raw Deal” After Coming Out Before the Draft
    http://www.newnownext.com/michael-sa...=share_twitter

It would appear the NFL got it right actually.
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Lack of talent
    ZC gets another chance to feed cram sammiches!

Comment

Here comes the next lawsuit,...

Comment

Should move this to the nobody cares forum

Comment

Not really CFL news beyond him having a cup of coffee in the CFL but I’ll play along

he was defensive player of the year in his conference the last season in college - he was also a beast in college - based on his stats and measurables he would typically be picked rounds 3-4 so to end up last round was unusual

then he went on and had a great preseason for saint louis - he had 3 or 4 sacks and was the only player to have that many sacks and still get cut

despite all of this he struggled to get a PR spot and couldn’t maintain a spot or get onto an active roster, despite players with lesser impact getting opportunities

a lot of ppl on this board hate him because he wasn’t invested in the CFL, and I truly believe he didn’t give 2 ****s about this league as he was so pissed off about his NFL shot

but he deserved to make St. Louis and if not shoulda been picked up asap

he is not wrong that he got a raw deal on the NFL and there are a lot of measurables that support that and the reason likely is due to his sexuality

Comment

Originally posted by steve04 View Post
            Not really CFL news beyond him having a cup of coffee in the CFL but I’ll play along

he was defensive player of the year in his conference the last season in college - he was also a beast in college - based on his stats and measurables he would typically be picked rounds 3-4 so to end up last round was unusual

then he went on and had a great preseason for saint louis - he had 3 or 4 sacks and was the only player to have that many sacks and still get cut

despite all of this he struggled to get a PR spot and couldn’t maintain a spot or get onto an active roster, despite players with lesser impact getting opportunities

a lot of ppl on this board hate him because he wasn’t invested in the CFL, and I truly believe he didn’t give 2 ****s about this league as he was so pissed off about his NFL shot

he is not wrong that he got a raw deal on the NFL and there are a lot of measurables that support that and the reason likely is due to his sexuality
            It very well could have just been the media circus he would have brought to whoever drafted him. With 1700 players in the league, there's no doubt in my mind that there's already gay NFL players.

Comment

If he wasnt invested in the CFL, that was probably the reason he wasnt on an NFL team.

Comment

Reading up on him, seems like he had some depression and other mental health issues. Has gone on to become a motivational speaker and author.

Comment

Did he get a raw deal? Hard to say. Measurables (in terms of combine scores) were actually a huge reason why he dropped. At 6'2" 260 he'd project more as an NFL speed rusher type DE, but he only ran a 4.9, pretty average BP (17 reps), average vertical (25.5"). A lot of scouting reports were basically like, this is a guy who works hard and knows how to be right place right time but just does not project as a star athlete and might get exposed at next level. There are definitely guys every once in awhile who are highly decorated college stars but drop late in the draft because talent evaluators doubt their skills will translate to the next level, although you saw that a lot more with undersized mobile QBs in the past. I was a lot more likely to believe Sam got a raw deal until I saw how badly he messed up his shot at redemption in the CFL.

Comment

He acted like a spoiled brat and didn't think he should have to work to earn anything. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him because he did it to himself, he's just looking for someone else to blame. Take a good look in the mirror, jackass, and get mad at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sutureself View Post

Did he get a raw deal? Hard to say. Measurables (in terms of combine scores) were actually a huge reason why he dropped. At 6'2" 260 he'd project more as an NFL speed rusher type DE, but he only ran a 4.9, pretty average BP (17 reps), average vertical (25.5"). A lot of scouting reports were basically like, this is a guy who works hard and knows how to be right place right time but just does not project as a star athlete and might get exposed at next level. There are definitely guys every once in awhile who are highly decorated college stars but drop late in the draft because talent evaluators doubt their skills will translate to the next level, although you saw that a lot more with undersized mobile QBs in the past. I was a lot more likely to believe Sam got a raw deal until I saw how badly he messed up his shot at redemption in the CFL.
                      IIRC, was another thing they looked at that basically all of his good stats were against unranked teams.
                      #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum View Post

If he wasnt invested in the CFL, that was probably the reason he wasnt on an NFL team.
                        I don’t believe so, he had a great preseason and camp with the rams - I think he saw the CFL as a lesser league and treated his training and camp as a lesser challenge (like many NFL and NCAA players with big names do)

Comment

Originally posted by green_machine_#1 View Post

It very well could have just been the media circus he would have brought to whoever drafted him. With 1700 players in the league, there's no doubt in my mind that there's already gay NFL players.
                          Yes I fully believe that was a big part of it - that media circus was due to his sexuality tho, and perhaps I didn’t expand enough in my original post to explain why I thought the sexuality mattered

as the only “out” nfl player it would have been seen as a distraction and I think that is a large reason why teams didn’t give him a fair shot

Comment

Originally posted by Sutureself View Post

He was the best player in the preseason that did not make a roster, many players with worse preseasons made rosters

i don’t think the half *** attempt he gave at the als camp reflects on his NFL opportunities at all

Comment

I don’t believe so, he had a great preseason and camp with the rams - I think he saw the CFL as a lesser league and treated his training and camp as a lesser challenge (like many NFL and NCAA players with big names do)
                              Part of the character issues that teams in the NFL identified, in that I mean he was not able to handle being a gay football player at the national level. The spotlight of coming out basically crushed him as time went on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X