Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAF Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a displaced gopher View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't watch the game but I'll admit it's nice to see San Diego has a pro team again. But I've got some questions about this upstart league. If this league makes a go of it what will it do to NFL viewership which is already in the decline? People only have so much disposable income and even that's shrinking so, could this new league actually hurt the NFL. Another thing to think about is what is the ultimate goal of this league. Is it in it for the long haul to give players who couldn't make it in the other two pro leagues a chance to play football or is this just another AFL like tactic to coerce the NFL to take in new teams? Because if it is and they actually succeed it'll dilute the already less than stellar talent pool available to both us and the NFL

So many questions, so few answers.
    I once heard that the definition of ridiculous was an ant climbing up an elephant's leg with the intention of rape. This may fall under that definition. A lot of the decline in NFL viewership comes from the hundreds of thousands who are cutting their cable. It's estimated that last year 2 million ESPN subscriptions were lost to cable cutting. Of those who are no longer watching on TV how many are consuming the product via other means such as streaming? I'm not sure if viewership numbers include those watching by means other than traditional cable.

The AAF won't be a threat whatsoever to the NFL until they can first establish themselves by proving there is enough appetite for spring football to sustain them long haul. If they can do that they still won't hurt the NFL unless they can take that spring product and move it to the fall. Considering that they've chosen to lean on markets tied closely to college football such a move could be suicidal if they put themselves in a position to try competing head-to-head with both NCAA and NFL football. The CFL experiment in Birmingham produced average crowds of just under 30K in July, around 18K in August then nosedived to 8700 for the final 4 games when the NCAA and NFL were up and running.

It is interesting though. I think in a way AAF is trying to do something similar to what TV networks have long practiced which is to boost ratings of a struggling or new program by running it directly behind one of their hit shows. The AAF is hoping to pull viewers in by starting immediately after Super Bowl then hope to sustain those ratings through the NFL dead air space between Super Bowl and the NFL Draft. There seems to be no appetite initially to push their season beyond those boundaries.

Comment

Perez the Iron QB would look good in the CFL.

Comment

I watched the game on CBS and I was fairly surprised as it was better than I thought . Much better than any of the previous leagues .

Comment

I only watched the highlights of the 2 games but the QB G. Gilbert looked pretty sharp. At least from the plays that made the highlight package. Good poise, pocket presence and strong armed. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Green.

Comment

We watched the San Antonio San Diego game and were mildly entertained. I think the level of play will get better as they play more and I liked some of the rule differences, I.e. faster clock, few commercials, restricted blitzes and eye in the sky influence. One game today will be played on the NFL network tonight and Iíll tape that and watch it after the new season of TWD.
            Bill Poulian made a comment that sheds some light as to the vision for the AAFs future. He says the hope is for the NFL to provide their PR players to the league for development. He also made the comment, that Kurt Warner agrees with, that due to the 20 hr rule, QBs in college and backup pro QBs just donít get enough practice time to work on their skill development, which is why there are fewer quality QBs these days. He says this league will be able to help provide this function. I think they have a good chance at success if the fans keep showing up and the product improves with time.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenforever View Post
              We watched the San Antonio San Diego game and were mildly entertained. I think the level of play will get better as they play more and I liked some of the rule differences, I.e. faster clock, few commercials, restricted blitzes and eye in the sky influence. One game today will be played on the NFL network tonight and Iíll tape that and watch it after the new season of TWD.
              Bill Poulian made a comment that sheds some light as to the vision for the AAFs future. He says the hope is for the NFL to provide their PR players to the league for development. He also made the comment, that Kurt Warner agrees with, that due to the 20 hr rule, QBs in college and backup pro QBs just donít get enough practice time to work on their skill development, which is why there are fewer quality QBs these days. He says this league will be able to help provide this function. I think they have a good chance at success if the fans keep showing up and the product improves with time.
              The mandate behind it has definitely had a lot more thought put into than the previous competitors.

Comment

Watching Birmingham v Memphis online. Impotent offences, notwithstanding limits on blitzing.

Richardson not impressive for Birmingham: few yards and a fumble.

Obviously free online streaming and minimal commercial breaks cannot be a long-term business model.
                Mikka makka moo.

Comment

I was listening to a sports talk show on Sirius and they beat the NBA sat night game in ratings.
                  Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Soylent View Post
                    Watching Birmingham v Memphis online. Impotent offences, notwithstanding limits on blitzing.

Richardson not impressive for Birmingham: few yards and a fumble.

Obviously free online streaming and minimal commercial breaks cannot be a long-term business model.

All pro sports stream free on line.

Comment

Iron crosses the goal line and the 2

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxeMan View Post
                        Perez the Iron QB would look good in the CFL.
                        He's on our neg list

Comment

Originally posted by RealAlexD View Post

He's on our neg list

That's great we could use him this year.

Comment

Trent Richardson now with two TDS. This was his first.
                            Trent Richardson impressed with an early touchdown run in his AAF debut, but was subsequently flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by THE RULK View Post

Sadly, I only have the SMASH network... I feel that watching other people SMASH actually reduces my own tendencies to SMASH, saving Mrs RULK, the government and the economy, billions each year. I think I may have the only subscription though. You could ask SHAW about it, but its not in the regular packages I am told.
                              Is this on the penthouse network ? .... Asking for a friend

Comment

AAFL? the Awful Amateur football league?
                                Alberta boy, Rider fan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X