Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAF league loses coaches.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClydeB View Post
    Maybe Michael Vick is resigning because he is the latest Jones reclamation project.
    Another dog and pony show
    Press here to reset

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post

Sparky, here boy!!
      **insert side splitter emoji here**
      Nothing like a whole off season to choke on cram sammiches!

Comment

Burn baby Burn

Comment

This league is not the scary monster that a lot of people think it is. All players only make 85k per year meaning that most CFL starters will make the same at a minimum to potentially much more in a league that has actual history and stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post
            This league is not the scary monster that a lot of people think it is. All players only make 85k per year meaning that most CFL starters will make the same at a minimum to potentially much more in a league that has actual history and stability.
            That salary is buoyed by the fact that most of the players recruited are from the regional areas of the AAF teams, sort of framing it in a 'house league mentality' but also keeping many of these players close to home, and reducing their anxiety to travel to Canada. These are supposed to be selling points for the league but I see it as limitations and the eventual rot that will tear the spoiled fruit of this idea into a fetid carcus of a league. First: players want a shot. This league does not in anyway IMHO increase their chances from what I have seen to get that shot. Merely it keeps them playing close to home with a liveable paycheque. IT could turn into the journeyman league. The CFL is still the most established league to get that shot. Second, players want mo money. If they can get that up in Canada as elites, they will come here, meaning that those players that want the shot and want mo money will be enticed by the ability to earn more up here. IT may not be much and may be limited to certain key positions, but that will still have a bit of an impact. Third, the regional mentality economics and branding can work against them, especially if a) they can't field a good product with the talent regionally supplied and b) the talent must be brought in from a non-regional or cross country context... for most, moving into one of the regions will be as impactful and disruptive as moving to Canada for 6 months, sans the need for passports. Fourth. we have legalized weed. Nuff said.
            Last edited by THE RULK; 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post
              That's $110k Canadian, plus they're paying way more tax here. Take home pay of first year AAF players will be more than double CFL rookies. Most Americans coming into the CFL are playing a couple years on a rookie contract that pays peanuts. And then only a small percentage of that group will go on to earn big CFL contracts.

The only thing the CFL has going for it vs the AAF is stability. If the AAF grows into a stable league it will be a no brainer to play there instead of coming to the CFL. Now that's a big if, we've seen many failures on the past, but if this league does pan out the CFL will be a 3rd choice league for Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by rider on the storm View Post

That's $110k Canadian, plus they're paying way more tax here. Take home pay of first year AAF players will be more than double CFL rookies. Most Americans coming into the CFL are playing a couple years on a rookie contract that pays peanuts. And then only a small percentage of that group will go on to earn big CFL contracts.

The only thing the CFL has going for it vs the AAF is stability. If the AAF grows into a stable league it will be a no brainer to play there instead of coming to the CFL. Now that's a big if, we've seen many failures on the past, but if this league does pan out the CFL will be a 3rd choice league for Americans.
                The AAF season is over is April and they've said they'll release players to tryout in the NFL, likely the CFL too...and why not? The XFL announced they'll sign players to one-year contracts which expire at the end of each season (April/May). I don't think players that sign in those leagues are lost forever for the CFL.

Comment

Brad Childress resigned as coach of the Atlanta Legends of the Alliance of American Football earlier this week. He released a statement Friday, saying he needs to refocus and spend time with his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Grebbi View Post

if you look at the ticketmaster seats remaining for the teams it legitimately looks they haven’t sold any tickets yet!
                    There are some very weird patterns that make one think even where it appears tickets are sold they may not be. In a given section on a couple games I looked at there will be a couple of rows looking entirely sold out then the next couple rows will have every seat available. In some cases there be big blocks of seats looking to be sold out beside big blocks where every seat is available. For Birmingham games it's like all but a few blocks of seats on one side of the field are sold out. There are no scattered singles or pairs. It's either all or none. Yet on the other side of the field a few small blocks appear to be sold while entire sections are available.

Comment

Originally posted by CFLFAN1 View Post

The AAF season is over is April and they've said they'll release players to tryout in the NFL, likely the CFL too...and why not? The XFL announced they'll sign players to one-year contracts which expire at the end of each season (April/May). I don't think players that sign in those leagues are lost forever for the CFL.
                      The end of the season may be a more telling tale of the impact of this league than the start. I'm more curious to see what sort of player movement happens during and after the season then before it. I remain more in the camp of wake me up in 3 years. If the AAF still exists then it may pose a threat to the CFL attracting talent. In the meantime I look at it as like a speed bump. Ambrosie has it right when he says the CFL can't get itself wrapped up in worrying about the AAF or competing with it. They just have to continue to concentrate on the business of being the CFL and how to make it as good as it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambone View Post

The end of the season may be a more telling tale of the impact of this league than the start. I'm more curious to see what sort of player movement happens during and after the season then before it. I remain more in the camp of wake me up in 3 years. If the AAF still exists then it may pose a threat to the CFL attracting talent. In the meantime I look at it as like a speed bump. Ambrosie has it right when he says the CFL can't get itself wrapped up in worrying about the AAF or competing with it. They just have to continue to concentrate on the business of being the CFL and how to make it as good as it can be.
                        I still say that the timing of the leagues will also allow for players in the AAF to also take a shot at the CFL as well... I know... I have heard this before that someone thinking about playing 28 games of football in a year is crazy, but considering that most of these guys are hungry (literally and figuratively), may make it a way for them to earn extra dough?

Comment

Originally posted by THE RULK View Post

I still say that the timing of the leagues will also allow for players in the AAF to also take a shot at the CFL as well... I know... I have heard this before that someone thinking about playing 28 games of football in a year is crazy, but considering that most of these guys are hungry (literally and figuratively), may make it a way for them to earn extra dough?
                          No doubt there will be some doing that for the reasons you state. Question is how many would be thinking of it in terms of strictly the money and how many might already start questioning the viability of the AAF?

Comment

Originally posted by THE RULK View Post

a 10 game season followed by 18 games? I don't think so

body will be burned out - now if they were to sit for half the CFL season and help out on the back 8 or 9 games - sure

Comment

Originally posted by Rotor View Post

body will be burned out - now if they were to sit for half the CFL season and help out on the back 8 or 9 games - sure
                              I guess we will see.... but the option is undeniably there for any player wanting to push the threshold...

Comment

Originally posted by Rotor View Post

Nobody will really know for sure until somebody tries it. Didn't Robert Gordon go play arena football between CFL seasons? Normally one would think a player who went from AAF straight to CFL might hit a wall around Labour Day. Then again players aren't subjected to the same sort of grueling training camps and mid week practice sessions they once were. On the flip side if a player played a full AAF slate and followed it up with a full CFL season might he be jeopardizing a return to the AAF as it would mean 38 games in roughly 15 months?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X