Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alliance of American Football League

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post
    Anybody know what the CFL broadcasts did for ratings in the U.S.? Can't be worse than the AAF numbers

Comment

• I think that the CFLwill always garner a respectable number of eyeballs in the US, irrespective of AAFL or XFL

For the US fans who know something, it is a slightly different game with slightly different rules and a longer history than the NFL. And for non hockey fans, the start of our season is also timely.

AAFL and XFL may just be perceived as inferior American football.

Comment

• No history, no rivalry, no passion, thus no interest. The CFL has all three. That's why it will survive.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE RULK View Post
          No history, no rivalry, no passion, thus no interest. The CFL has all three. That's why it will survive.
          I figure it depends on staying power. The AFL which started in the late 1950's had ownership with deep pockets and they stuck with until it was accepted. Beating the stablished NFL teams in the Super Bowl was icing on the cake. On difference was the AFL went after and signed many of the top college players. They outbid the NFL to acquire that talent. This new league seems to a bottom feeder when it comes to players. I think they made a mistake by playing their games in the winter and spring. It's not the season for football.
          I am concerned about the CFL. Montreal and Toronto look like dead men walking. The numbers in Vancouver aren't looking great. There is a problem when sport has very low interest in three of your largest markets.
          Last edited by brady; 03-08-2019, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by brady View Post

I figure it depends on staying power. The AFL which started in the late 1950's had ownership with deep pockets and they stuck with until it was accepted. Beating the stablished NFL teams in the Super Bowl was icing on the cake. On difference was the AFL went after and signed many of the top college players. They outbid the NFL to acquire that talent. This new league seems to a bottom feeder when it comes to players. I think they made a mistake by playing their games in the winter and spring. It's not the season for football.
            I am concerned about the CFL. Montreal and Toronto look like dead men walking. The numbers in Vancouver aren't looking great. There is a problem when sport has very low interest in three of your largest markets.
            That is where the USFL made their mark, signing the top collegiate players. Hershel Walker, Doug Flutie, Jim Kelly, Marcus Dubose and many others. They may have survived to merge with the NFL if some fool didn't try to switch to a fall schedule to compete directly with the NFL, college football and high school football.

Comment

• Via @emptyseatspics

The Fleet game yesterday in whch the AAF somehow claims has over 20,000 people and the Birmingham home game which actually, for Birmingham, is easily their best crowd of the season. The other ones drew flies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	418744

and Birmingham..........

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	418745

Take into account the giveaways and it's clear that the league is building no momentum and no following to speak of. As was anticipated.

Comment

• Going to checkout the game in Phoenix later today. Cheap seats in the end zone went from $19.00 last night to $7.00 this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                  Via @emptyseatspics

The Fleet game yesterday in whch the AAF somehow claims has over 20,000 people and the Birmingham home game which actually, for Birmingham, is easily their best crowd of the season. The other ones drew flies.

I tried to watch this game on the NFL network last night. I had to turn it off after 1 quarter, just awful football

Comment

• Originally posted by nernzi19 View Post

I tried to watch this game on the NFL network last night. I had to turn it off after 1 quarter, just awful football
                    The last 5 minutes were good. Or, rather, exciting. San Diego in FG range up by 7. Mooch says, they can't take a sack, just protect the football and kick the FG to go up by two scores. Int....Oops.

Next play for Salt Lake, pick 6 (the second defensive TD of the game). Bigger Ooops. SL goes down the field and scores. Down by 7. Stops SD. Big play, down the field. 1st and goal. Procedure, sack, TD. 2 point convert for the lead, less than a minute. 2 plays later, San Diego gets a 45 yard pick up, run to the middle, walk off FG for the win.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

The last 5 minutes were good. Or, rather, exciting. San Diego in FG range up by 7. Mooch says, they can't take a sack, just protect the football and kick the FG to go up by two scores. Int....Oops.

Next play for Salt Lake, pick 6 (the second defensive TD of the game). Bigger Ooops. SL goes down the field and scores. Down by 7. Stops SD. Big play, down the field. 1st and goal. Procedure, sack, TD. 2 point convert for the lead, less than a minute. 2 plays later, San Diego gets a 45 yard pick up, run to the middle, walk off FG for the win.
                      Yup. Entertaining in an incompetent sort of way.

Love those AAF offensive lines: blindside blitz, sack, boom!
                      CBA please.

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post
                        Going to checkout the game in Phoenix later today. Cheap seats in the end zone went from $19.00 last night to $7.00 this morning.
                        Hotshots game you were at:

via

https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics looks like a few thousand........

Name:	03.png
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	419039

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Hotshots game you were at:

via

https://twitter.com/EmptySeatsPics looks like a few thousand........

Name:	03.png
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	419039
                            If I knew how to take the pictures off my phone and post them in here I would. Out of boredom we counted how many fans were sitting across from us, and between the goal lines in the bottom bowl only. In 7 sections there were 784 people at the beginning of the second quarter. We kind of had a good chuckle when the make more noise meter went over the top a few times during the game. All in all we didn't think it was very good football. It just had no atmosphere at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tyree View Post

That is where the USFL made their mark, signing the top collegiate players. Hershel Walker, Doug Flutie, Jim Kelly, Marcus Dubose and many others. They may have survived to merge with the NFL if some fool didn't try to switch to a fall schedule to compete directly with the NFL, college football and high school football.
                              thanks for bringing this information .

Comment

• Originally posted by madmax View Post

If I knew how to take the pictures off my phone and post them in here I would. Out of boredom we counted how many fans were sitting across from us, and between the goal lines in the bottom bowl only. In 7 sections there were 784 people at the beginning of the second quarter. We kind of had a good chuckle when the make more noise meter went over the top a few times during the game. All in all we didn't think it was very good football. It just had no atmosphere at all.
                                A pick 6 plus two other turnovers given up in the first 20 minutes by Arizona would tend to support that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X