Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intentional Grounding in KC @ Cle game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intentional Grounding in KC @ Cle game

Mahomes completes to Hill in the middle of the field with 0:09 left in the 2nd quarter. Flag for offside on Cleveland which stops the clock, KC declines the penalty as the gain was much greater. Next play, KC snaps the ball right at the whistle, and spikes it. Because the clock was not running, it's an intentional grounding penalty on KC. I was half paying attention the first time around so I was confused as to why KC would spike the ball with the clock not running. After re-watching, since the Chiefs declined the penalty and the play was allowed to stand, shouldn't the clock have started on the ref's whistle therefore allowing the Chiefs to legally spike the ball? They discussed the rule on the broadcast, but never talked about if declining the penalty should have had the clock start on the ref's whistle.

Thoughts?

clock should have ran....i didnt watch that one close enough...the craziest call of the week i thought was the chargers player went out of bounds anywhere from 1 to 3 times on the same play for a td, it was called a td, went up to the booth and the call stood as a td....mind = blown

Comment

Originally posted by St. Anger View Post
      clock should have ran....i didnt watch that one close enough...the craziest call of the week i thought was the chargers player went out of bounds anywhere from 1 to 3 times on the same play for a td, it was called a td, went up to the booth and the call stood as a td....mind = blown
      That's what I thought too but no one really seemed to pick up on it

Comment

Not only did the clock not running there confuse me, enforcing the 10 second run-off on the intentional grounding did too. Why have a 10 second run-off if the clock was stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
          Not only did the clock not running there confuse me, enforcing the 10 second run-off on the intentional grounding did too. Why have a 10 second run-off if the clock was stopped?
          Yeah exactly. The purpose of the run-off is to prevent the offense from taking penalties on purpose to stop the clock. How is that possible when the clock is already stopped?

Also, just now the Packers take a penalty which New England declined and Green Bay has to take a time out to keep the clock stopped.

I'm thinking that was a rule error by the officials

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X