Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CIS playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    I heard either during the Vanier cup or the semi-final, that even during "their spring camp in Florida" all Laval could talk about was redemption. Are they the only team with the funds / ability in CIS football to do this?

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by go riders View Post

      Correct

      As well, other "nicknames" from that conference:
      Mount A - Mount Allison University
      St. FX - St. Francis Xavier University
      Was always confusing too with St. FX being called the Xmen and Acadia the Axemen.

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
        I heard either during the Vanier cup or the semi-final, that even during "their spring camp in Florida" all Laval could talk about was redemption. Are they the only team with the funds / ability in CIS football to do this?
        Hey, when you are privately owned, you can spend your money how you like.

        Guelph has also had camps in Florida. Stu Lang basically got the role as HC a few years ago by effectively buying it. His money was the impetus for a lot of the sports facility construction at the campus. As well, for a few years, Guelph had as many uniform combinations as the Oregon Ducks (again, Stu's money). After he stepped down from being the coach, he was still a major funder of the team.

        While he was HC, he contributed a significant amount of money to Queen's (his alma mater) to pay for repairs and upgrades to the crumbling (and partially condemned) stadium. This ticked off a lot of Guelph alumni.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
          I heard either during the Vanier cup or the semi-final, that even during "their spring camp in Florida" all Laval could talk about was redemption. Are they the only team with the funds / ability in CIS football to do this?
          Guelph intended to do one in Florida every 4-5 years, so that all of their players would get to experience it at least once in their career. Guelph also had an absurd number of combinations of jersey and helmets. Not quite the same as Laval and their yearly trip and their free iPads, but it is something.

          OUA put a stop to some of Guelph's extraneous spending not long ago, so I'm not sure if they're allowed to do the Florida thing any more. I know they put limits on jersey combinations.

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by brady View Post
            Richard looks like a QB with some quality talent.
            Really now ?; I suppose some of the many CFL teams with serious QB depth questions or issues will think of looking at this guy for QB competition next TC then ? LOL

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by gilligan View Post

              Guelph intended to do one in Florida every 4-5 years, so that all of their players would get to experience it at least once in their career. Guelph also had an absurd number of combinations of jersey and helmets. Not quite the same as Laval and their yearly trip and their free iPads, but it is something.

              OUA put a stop to some of Guelph's extraneous spending not long ago, so I'm not sure if they're allowed to do the Florida thing any more. I know they put limits on jersey combinations.
              And the players would pick what combinations they were wearing week to week.

              I like one of the features they had in their old training facility under the stands. The weight room was on the second floor. During the season, they had their complete schedule on the riser of each step. The first game of the season was at the bottom all the way up through playoffs, Yates Cup, whatever bowl OUA was in that year and Vanier Cup at the top step. Haven't seen what they do now they've moved to their Performance Facility.

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by CC Ryder View Post

                Really now ?; I suppose some of the many CFL teams with serious QB depth questions or issues will think of looking at this guy for QB competition next TC then ? LOL
                Richard and O'Connor must be as talented as most of the new QBs that are brought to CFL training camps. They certainly have the size and the arms to be above average QBs. .

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                  Was always confusing too with St. FX being called the Xmen and Acadia the Axemen.
                  Right? X men vs Axemen. SMU was the last AU team to appear in a Vanier and that was in 2007, were a fixture in the late 90s with a couple of wins and a loss. The AU has been largely irrelevant since 2007

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    The winter edition for Central scouting is out. The prairie teams came up dry. UBC QB O'Connor is rated number 19. I would take him. It's going to be a challenge to find QB talent. O'Connor as a long term project.

                    Comment

                    Announcement

                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.

                    Announcement

                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X