Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chargers / Titans London

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chargers / Titans London

So the Titans get in to make it 19-20 with 31 second left from the 1 with a pass.
    Balls of steel drop.
    They go for 2.
    Incomplete
    But, penalty on the Chargers.
    2nd attempt, Incomplete.

Ballsy fricken call, but was it the right one? Hero or zero I suppose. But 3 passes in a row?
    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Well, now you know I love talking about strategic coaching decisions, so here goes.
    First, in a broad sense I like going for two and I like playing for ot depending on the situation. These forward thinking out of the box coaches need to go to school on themselves and understand situational football.
    Going for two here was just dumb.
    Titans dominate time of possession, have a fresh defence, the defence was their best unit today and their offence was barely good enough to get into FG position all day. Took them to 4th down to just barely eke out the TD and now, all of a sudden, they can execute on one play????turns out they couldnít execute on two! Good job ragging the clock down on the last drive though. They had the Charger D gassed. And the Titans D was rested and playing well. Therefore you take the single and extend the game. Thatís logical. What the Titans did was totally illogical.
    Itís not like the Packer playoff game in Arizona where they had the same situation except the pack had a shaky defence and your best player is Rodgers. Pack played for ot. Mistake. So back in Arizona going for two was the best chance to win and today playing for ot was the Titans best chance to win. Head coaching errors in both cases.
    It wasnít ballsy, just illogical when you account for the teams strengths and weakness and the condition of your o and d in the moment.

Comment

The decision to go for 2 was correct. The decision to throw it was wrong. Never play for OT in the NFL is a good philosophy.
      Teaching your father how to kiss since 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Blaine View Post
        Well, now you know I love talking about strategic coaching decisions, so here goes.
        First, in a broad sense I like going for two and I like playing for ot depending on the situation. These forward thinking out of the box coaches need to go to school on themselves and understand situational football.
        Going for two here was just dumb.
        Titans dominate time of possession, have a fresh defence, the defence was their best unit today and their offence was barely good enough to get into FG position all day. Took them to 4th down to just barely eke out the TD and now, all of a sudden, they can execute on one play????turns out they couldnít execute on two! Good job ragging the clock down on the last drive though. They had the Charger D gassed. And the Titans D was rested and playing well. Therefore you take the single and extend the game. Thatís logical. What the Titans did was totally illogical.
        Itís not like the Packer playoff game in Arizona where they had the same situation except the pack had a shaky defence and your best player is Rodgers. Pack played for ot. Mistake. So back in Arizona going for two was the best chance to win and today playing for ot was the Titans best chance to win. Head coaching errors in both cases.
        It wasnít ballsy, just illogical when you account for the teams strengths and weakness and the condition of your o and d in the moment.
        Counter. Go to OT, you lose a coin flip. Chargers hit one big play which they had hit a few already. Game over with the offense sitting on the bench. Going for 2 is over 50% successful so probably better odds right there than in OT.

Comment

Coin flips, shoulda run, never go to ot, fairy tales.
          Titans arenít good enough to consistently execute a single play to score. Thatís plain to see. Even dynamic offences be it cfl or nfl are barely 50%. So......thereís your coin flip.
          Sorry boys, your blanket philosophyís are a fail. If your talking about the Patriots or even the chargers in this case you have a better argument. But this was the Titans, and if you watched the game, you know what the best units were. And thatís what a HC job is, puttting your team in the best position to win.

Comment

Reminds me on the old site crf and I talked about how it would be good for some teams to just have a guy, even a geek fan, that didnít have to get so involved in the minutae and emotion of the game but just study it in s broader sense and give the HC a heads up on when to go for two or not. Vrabel could have used a guy like that today.

Comment

Coin flips, shoulda run, never go to ot, fairy tales.
              Titans arenít good enough to consistently execute a single play to score. Thatís plain to see. Even dynamic offences be it cfl or nfl are barely 50%. So......thereís your coin flip.
              Sorry boys, your blanket philosophyís are a fail. If your talking about the Patriots or even the chargers in this case you have a better argument. But this was the Titans, and if you watched the game, you know what the best units were. And thatís what a HC job is, puttting your team in the best position to win.
              So wait. The team that is so bad offensively they can't score from the 2 is going to score in OT from much worse field position? You can play OT without touching the ball on offense. Go for the win. The play works and your giving him all the props in the world. It was the right decision but bad play call. That's it.

Comment

Reminds me on the old site crf and I talked about how it would be good for some teams to just have a guy, even a geek fan, that didnít have to get so involved in the minutae and emotion of the game but just study it in s broader sense and give the HC a heads up on when to go for two or not. Vrabel could have used a guy like that today.
                The "geek fan" would be for going for it so I'm not sure what that would change. The geek fan would be a good idea so teams would stop punting from opposition 40 yard lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

So wait. The team that is so bad offensively they can't score from the 2 is going to score in OT from much worse field position? You can play OT without touching the ball on offense. Go for the win. The play works and your giving him all the props in the world. It was the right decision but bad play call. That's it.
                  I donít want to insult your intelligence but you are making very tough not to. It took them 4 tries to push it it from short yardage....you think they can magically make it happen on one play? Youíre wrong. I have facts to back that up aka video of the game. You have hopes and fairy tales.
                  Play works and Iím saying he is the luckiest coach.
                  Youre just advocating going for two everytime. Nuance is not your thing. So yes, go for the win but you must not give it away which they did and I knew it as I watched it. If Titans had a great offensive game and everything was working for them and their defence was shaky, then it would be a different decision.
                  Side question: Since your a DBA, how do you feel about a HC that plays for a tie instead of going for the win in ot, when he already has one point guaranteed whether he ties or loses?
                  Last edited by Rick Blaine; 10-21-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I donít want to insult your intelligence but you are making very tough not to. It took them 4 tries to push it it from short yardage....you think they can magically make it happen on one play? Youíre wrong. I have facts to back that up aka video of the game. You have hopes and fairy tales.
                    Play works and Iím saying he is the luckiest coach.
                    Youre just advocating going for two everytime. Nuance is not your thing.
                    Wait wait wait...do you think you need magic to score? If they can't score from the 1 they are scoring from their own 80 (IF THEY EVEN GET THE BALL?) They couldn't move the ball whatsoever all day so you take the shot at the win while it's their. Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean it never will again. Doesn't matter. It's a Titans/Chargers game that wont mean a thing. I'd rather leave this thread than deal with some old dude who yells "I HAVE THE FACTS" while spouting nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Barrett Apologist View Post

Wait wait wait...do you think you need magic to score? If they can't score from the 1 they are scoring from their own 80 (IF THEY EVEN GET THE BALL?) They couldn't move the ball whatsoever all day so you take the shot at the win while it's their. Just because it doesn't work doesn't mean it never will again. Doesn't matter. It's a Titans/Chargers game that wont mean a thing. I'd rather leave this thread than deal with some old dude who yells "I HAVE THE FACTS" while spouting nonsense.
                      We finally agree. You should leave.
                      You donít care what the circumstances, must go for two. Ok
                      Tell that to Titans fans if they miss the playoffs by one point in the standings.

btw, your bs about two points converts being better than 50%......is that the Titans success rate? Or maybe thatís football wide.............Or is that just a silly fact and nuance to be ignored.
                      Last edited by Rick Blaine; 10-21-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Side question: Since your a DBA, how do you feel about a HC that plays for a tie instead of going for the win in ot, when he already has one point guaranteed whether he ties or loses?
                        The name is sarcasm because Danny Barret was a trash Head Coach that has been below average at every stop.

Comment

When the penalty happened I felt that it was time for a rush.
                          #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
                            When the penalty happened I felt that it was time for a rush.
                            Tennessee didnít have a play to get in. They already showed the Chargers 6 two point type plays already and maybe two looked like they executed properly.

Comment

Tennessee didnít have a play to get in. They already showed the Chargers 6 two point type plays already and maybe two looked like they executed properly.
                              They also showed on first and goal that it took a small miracle to get in on 4th.

I thought that based on that one should choose OT.
                              #keepthepromise

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X