Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running up the score in Minor football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Running up the score in Minor football

    Is it right, or sportmanlike for a football team that is clearly the better team to run up the score? Like 70-0 or even 80-0?

    What good does this do? What does it teach either team anything about the game by allowing the team's starters to play all game and score basically at will?

    I think that coaches who are winning and know they won't lose should be playing back ups and giving their other players opportunities to gain some experience on the field.

    or there should be a mercy rule.

    either way teams running up the score is very unsportsmanlike in Minor football, especially for young kids.
    Alberta boy, Rider fan

  • #2
    Thank satan I never grew up in this era
    Ya friggin Pigeon

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Smeelmyfuut View Post
      Is it right, or sportmanlike for a football team that is clearly the better team to run up the score? Like 70-0 or even 80-0?

      What good does this do? What does it teach either team anything about the game by allowing the team's starters to play all game and score basically at will?

      I think that coaches who are winning and know they won't lose should be playing back ups and giving their other players opportunities to gain some experience on the field.

      or there should be a mercy rule.

      either way teams running up the score is very unsportsmanlike in Minor football, especially for young kids.
      I think what you're saying works in intramural or recreational sports where there are no tryouts. Once there are cuts and the games are actually competitive you can't expect that much mercy.

      Comment


      • #4
        ya. however nobody gets any benefit from running up the score, the losing team quits trying, winning team never faces adversity, afterall, minor sports is more about sportsmanship and kids having fun and learning the sport. how does a kid have any fun when their team gets pounded 70-0 and many times physically and mentally beat up on the field.
        Alberta boy, Rider fan

        Comment


        • #5
          Football Canada trying to reduce the number of the games by removing all clock stoppages after a 35 point spread. Only stops for injuries and Time outs

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by nikolai_jergen View Post
            Football Canada trying to reduce the number of the games by removing all clock stoppages after a 35 point spread. Only stops for injuries and Time outs
            that's a really good step in the right direction. But much of it needs to come from the Head Coach of the team that is blowing out their opponents. have the decency and class to make changes to your game plan, put in back ups, work on things that you have issues with, don't gamble on every 3rd down just because you can.

            show a little respect for your opponents and ease off.
            Alberta boy, Rider fan

            Comment


            • #7
              To me, running up the score on a weaker opponent is just low class or no class. Beat the spread and ease off.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Giventofly View Post
                Thank satan I never grew up in this era
                I have news for you. You did.

                It's not kids these days. It's the people raising them, and in this case coaches, who are making these decisions, not the kids.

                Comment


                • #9
                  When the boy was in Bantam in KFL, had a talented team, won first few games by blowouts. coaches actually stated they wanted to get to 70 points, and played the starters start to finish
                  karma came calling- injuries to stars late in the year, backups who hadn't played all year now going in against teams that had actually been improving all year
                  and a loss early in playoffs
                  anyone can "coach " a strong team, but it takes work to make a team stronger

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sprout View Post
                    To me, running up the score on a weaker opponent is just low class or no class. Beat the spread and ease off.
                    In my last year i played hockey, i had a coach tell us that if a team was running up the score to go out and injure their best player - I was shocked that a coach would say that. Talk about having no class.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If I were a coach I personally wouldn't run up the score and consider it unsportsmanlike/ungentlemanly to do so but I acknowledge it's a legitimate and acceptable move. I'd personally use the opportunity for giving the players the time to try other positions, give the weaker guys some reps, and keep everything very basic. I would come down hard on anyone who was taunting, showboating or celebrating too much and I wouldn't be faking punts or running any kind of stunt plays.

                      People get all bent out of shape about the lessons of sports or whatever. Most of the benefits that come from sport are learned outside the actual game action - being a good teammate, sticking to a plan, and forming friendships aren't usually the things that happen during actual game action. I was never a great athlete myself but I have people in my day-to-day life who hold records and have played for national teams and I can't picture them doing anything rude or disrespectful. I'm loosely connected with a GM in pro sports, he cuts a lot of good athletes because of character issues.

                      I'm middle aged now, and I personally can't stand playing team sports anymore but I still love some of the individual ones.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I guess a bit more context is required. You say pull the starters and play backups, but that is also unfair to the starters who are trying to develop if they get up 28-0 in the first quarter. IMO, you are right that as the game becomes out of reach that more back ups should start to be subbed in and out of the game. IMO though a lot comes down to play calls. If the winning team is calling screens and inside runs, and the other team is so bad that they can not stop it, there is not much more that can be done. If a team is up huge and throwing balls deep, gambling on 3rd down, and going for 2 after scores, that is a problem, and definitely falls in the category of unsportsmanlike.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by steve04 View Post
                          I guess a bit more context is required. You say pull the starters and play backups, but that is also unfair to the starters who are trying to develop if they get up 28-0 in the first quarter. IMO, you are right that as the game becomes out of reach that more back ups should start to be subbed in and out of the game. IMO though a lot comes down to play calls. If the winning team is calling screens and inside runs, and the other team is so bad that they can not stop it, there is not much more that can be done. If a team is up huge and throwing balls deep, gambling on 3rd down, and going for 2 after scores, that is a problem, and definitely falls in the category of unsportsmanlike.
                          I agree with the need for more context.

                          I coaches a basketball team for a couple years back in the day. Coached them for two years. First they were awful, but it was more because the coach before didn't really concentrate on fundamentals. Second year they gelled and we probably won games by 50-60 points. That being said, by half time I was usually moving our 5'10 centre (this was elementary school grade 8 basketball) to point guard. Having my best outside shooter move to centre, switch in all back ups etc. on a rotation. Sometimes teams just are to good. Other than tell players to not try at all things just fell that teams way all year. I would not tell team not to shoot, or not to try, because that is not the proper way either, it leads to people shutting down, potential injuries etc. but I did everything I could to stem the tide of the scoring, but let them play, and learn the best they could.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In high school football 25 years ago I played for a coach who whenever we had a big lead going into the 4th quarter would start pulling starters and giving the back ups plenty of playing time.
                            One day I walked into his P.E. Office at a break and he was listening to the local radio high school weekly report. They were interviewing the coach from a bigger school that had beaten a small school something like 84-0. And the coach was all cocky on the radio and uttered “that’s what you get when you try and run with the big dogs”.
                            My coach lost it. Whipped his radio and hollered “he wants F’n big dogs he’ll get F’n big dogs!!!” My coach had a small spot for small school guys cuz he came up through a small school.
                            As fate would have it we were playing the big school the next week. We went in there and won 72-6. It was the only time I ever saw our coach not pull starters as he left us in the whole game and let us keep taking it to them.
                            I never thought that I could respect a man more than I did him but he gained new respect from me that day.

                            playoffs however are a whole different story. You never pull starters and you never take you’re foot off the gas cuz anything can happen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had a coach kneel down on the last play of the game in youth flag football to preserve the win. In a league where winning means "nothing" in the overall scheme of things. (By that, I mean everyone plays the wind up jamboree, everyone gets the same trophy. Winning is winning, but you know what I mean here.) Aren't kids sports supposed to be about the kids?

                              The kids on his team were like "WTF coach? Can't we just throw the football again? Y'know, for fun?"

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X