Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U of R Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green81 View Post

There's lots of instances of penalties in sport being made on a case by case basis. In the NHL penalties for illegal hits or looked at in the context of the offense and the impact it had as well as on the tracker record of the offender. On field officiating is certainly based on judgement. Why shouldn't this also be looked at in that light. It would be easy for a tribunal to see if the offending player had an affect on the game or not. There would be a big difference between a starting player and someone who never even saw the field. I understand about precedent, but sometimes we just need to use our brains in cases like this
    Every university and program agreed to the rules as is. The problem with this approach is it opens up a lot of interpretation and potential for abuse when you consider the number of programs and universities out there. It’s probably one of the reasons why a standard process was agreed upon.

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

Every university and program agreed to the rules as is. The problem with this approach is it opens up a lot of interpretation and potential for abuse when you consider the number of programs and universities out there. It’s probably one of the reasons why a standard process was agreed upon.
      I guess from a governing body stand point it makes sense they do it this way. It sure does make the school look stupid though. I know if I had a son going into University football I'd encourage him not to go to Regina after reading about the incident and the University's reaction to it.

Comment

I guess from a governing body stand point it makes sense they do it this way. It sure does make the school look stupid though. I know if I had a son going into University football I'd encourage him not to go to Regina after reading about the incident and the University's reaction to it.
        What’s the issue in how the university reacted? They uncovered it and took responsibility for it. It’s not like there’s a history of this happening at the U of R.

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

What’s the issue in how the university reacted? They uncovered it and took responsibility for it. It’s not like there’s a history of this happening at the U of R.
          See HuffDaddy's post just a ways up the page.

Comment

See HuffDaddy's post just a ways up the page.
            Meh. I take that with a huge grain of salt and view it as mostly overreaction by whoever he knows that’s involved with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by footballisgood View Post

Ugh...

So much talent but my gosh they do some stupid things as an organization...
              My understanding is someone in UofR admissions screwed up not the Rams.

Comment

The same rule benefitted the rams in 2009 when Manitoba was forced to forfeit games and that jumped the Rams into the playoffs.

2010 or 2011 UBC vacated 6 wins due to a similar administrative error

Comment

Originally posted by coralharbour View Post

My understanding is someone in UofR admissions screwed up not the Rams.
                  This time, but there are still the failed steroids test, failed drug tests, it’s just not a smooth running program

Comment

Following an appeal by the University of Regina, the forfeiture of three wins by the Rams football team due to using an ineligible player will stand.

This is despite the fact that the player has been ruled eligible for future games this season.

An update provided by the university Thursday morning says “U Sports has confirmed a binding decision that the forfeitures stand,” though “the student-athlete’s eligibility for future games was instated.” The university has also directed its director of sports, community engagement and athlete development, Lisa Robertson, to start talks with “external colleagues with respect to the appropriateness of future penalties.”

The Canada West football team’s three victories during the 2018 Canada West season were nixed Oct. 5 after the U of R self-reported an as-yet-unidentified ineligible player to the U Sports governing body a few days earlier.

The player had participated in the Rams’ first five regular-season games and, as a consequence, the team’s record was changed to 0-5. The Rams were to play their final three games without the aforementioned player and won their first game since the forfeitures, improving to 1-5.

“We’re gutted and devastated for our Rams family, frankly, and for our football community,” Robertson said at the time.

“I can tell you that it was a human error in the processing of intake — an academically ineligible student-athlete.”

The error occurred “in the purview of university administration” as opposed to within the football program.

“This is 100-per-cent my accountability on the university administrative side,” said Robertson, noting that an internal review is taking place.

Friday’s 32-17 Canada West football victory over the University of Alberta Golden Bears.

The Rams beat the University of Alberta Golden Bears 32-17 Oct. 14, the first game since the that their first three victories of the season had been declared forfeits.

“They responded really well,” Rams head coach Steve Bryce said of his players. “I told them at the end how I proud I am of them for responding after all that we’ve been through.”

https://leaderpost.com/sports/footba...owed-to-return

Comment

Bizarre. If the wins weren't taken away, they'd have guaranteed their playoff spot already. Now, they only have an outside shot of making it if they win out and Sask and Alberta lose out.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                        Bizarre. If the wins weren't taken away, they'd have guaranteed their playoff spot already. Now, they only have an outside shot of making it if they win out and Sask and Alberta lose out.
                        The big hurdle is winning in Calgary. If the Rams win that, they need Sask to lose to Manitoba this weekend, and then beat the Huskies by 14 at home in the last regular season game at Mosaic.

Comment

Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

The big hurdle is winning in Calgary. If the Rams win that, they need Sask to lose to Manitoba this weekend, and then beat the Huskies by 14 at home in the last regular season game at Mosaic.
                          Plus they need Alberta to keep losing. If there is a three way tie between the Bears, Huskies, and Rams, it is the Huskies that win the tie.

Really tough road for the Rams. The toughest is certainly in Calgary for sure, but the worst part for them is that they need help from other teams. It isn't entirely in their hands any more.

Comment

I guess what irritates me about the USports decision is that no judgment was applied. They applied the letter of the rule. Well, we knew what the letter was before. We don't need a talking head parroting that. We were looking for the human factor of judgment to be applied. The ineligible player had 10 carries in total. I dunno but suspect that they had little effect on the outcome of those games.

I don't need someone to say the rule is the rule; I do need someone to say here is how we can resolve this fairly for all concerned. A mechanical response does not cut it.

Comment

Now what will the Rams do with Brandon Gandire who was charged with assault?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post
                                I guess what irritates me about the USports decision is that no judgment was applied. They applied the letter of the rule. Well, we knew what the letter was before. We don't need a talking head parroting that. We were looking for the human factor of judgment to be applied. The ineligible player had 10 carries in total. I dunno but suspect that they had little effect on the outcome of those games.

I don't need someone to say the rule is the rule; I do need someone to say here is how we can resolve this fairly for all concerned. A mechanical response does not cut it.
                                Meh. How do you justify something different than the other cases in the past that were basically the same issue? I don’t see how to can make that change on the fly. If that’s the new approach it’s got to be discussed and agreed upon by all involved.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X