Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U of R Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huff Daddy View Post

This was not a Rams Football error, it was a an oversight and human error on the part of the University's Athletic Administration during the student athlete intake and eligibility process. This falls directly on the AD Lisa Robertson. This is pretty extreme punishment for a clerical error by the admin department.

There is an online petition imploring the University to launch an appeal. To date they have done nothing and appear to be sweeping this under the rug.
    The petition will be sent to the three administrators of the University and closes at Noon on Friday.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-for-the-2018-university-of-regina-rams-football-team.html

It's easy to sign the petition, even with the captcha stuff. (I HATE captcha.) Please do it for their sake.

They are playing U of A Golden Bears on Friday at 7 at Mosaic. Attending the game will give them some moral support.
    https://www.reginarams.com/schedule....l#game_id_2386

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Preston #1 View Post

Yeah its already written in USports that any ineligible player who plays in games that the team forfeits all those wins. This is going nowhere. Appeal does nothing, the rules would have to be changed because they are pretty clear.

I agree with Huff Daddy though the penalty is ridiculous for those players and coaches on the Rams...I can't imagine how gutted they must feel, especially the senior players.
      May not do anything, but it will at least force the 3 University Administrators to do something and pretend they care about correcting their mistake...to date they have taken no action.

Comment

May not do anything, but it will at least force the 3 University Administrators to do something and pretend they care about correcting their mistake...to date they have taken no action.
        True, but to be fair I'm sure they all feel pretty devastated that this happened. I doubt they don't care...I'm betting its quite the opposite.
        Hey you...yeah you I'm talking to you punter!! Stop kicking long punts, I want some short low trajectory punts with no hang time preferably with back spin so we can get more no yards penalties.

Comment

How do you know they’ve taken no action and don’t care?

Not sure how much action one can expect with regards to a clerical error.

Comment

According to Jim Mullin on Twitter the rams are appealing the ruling.

Comment

This was not a Rams Football error, it was a an oversight and human error on the part of the University's Athletic Administration during the student athlete intake and eligibility process. This falls directly on the AD Lisa Robertson. This is pretty extreme punishment for a clerical error by the admin department.

There is an online petition emploring the University to launch an appeal. To date they have done nothing and appear to be sweeping this under the rug.
              The petition will be sent to the three administrators of the University and closes at Noon on Friday.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-for-the-2018-university-of-regina-rams-football-team.html

So should athletic director Lisa Robertson expect to wake up tomorrow and find a pile of manure on her front lawn? Just asking for a friend.
              Last edited by hilltopsfan; 10-10-2018, 08:22 PM.
              National Champions '53 '58 '59 '68 '69 '78 '85 '91 '96 '01 '02 '03 '07 '10 '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

How do you know they’ve taken no action and don’t care?

Not sure how much action one can expect with regards to a clerical error.
                How do I know? I have my sources.
                The Rams have decided to Lawyer up themselves.

Comment

How do I know? I have my sources.
                  The Rams have decided to Lawyer up themselves.
                  Oh great, bring in the lawyers. Unless they're working pro bono no one wins.

And within the next few weeks Dinos win the west, Laval wins the Vanier Cup and 98% of this forum won't care. In fact more people will be commenting on the 'Browns win again' thread.

Or at least that's how I see it. But just my 2 cents.
                  National Champions '53 '58 '59 '68 '69 '78 '85 '91 '96 '01 '02 '03 '07 '10 '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17

Comment

You've got a point in that this has happened before to other teams with the same penalty (forfeit). But this time it hits close to home so people in Regina / Sask are now looking at how harsh the penalty is while noone gave a crap when it happened to others.

Comment

The problem with an illegible player is that how does anyone know they're not a 'ringer'? To be fair that doesn't appear to be the case here. But also to be fair to the Bears, Bisons & T-birds lost to a team with a potential ringer so the only recourse I see is forfeit. What other punishment would be acceptable to all involved?

As I said earlier I'm obviously not a Rams fan but I'd be saying the same if it were the Huskies. But I'd be way happier if this was about the Dinos lol

And as for my comment on the 'Browns win again' thread go Bengals!

Comment

Originally posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
                        So it came out it was a clerical error at the Athletic Directors level. 3rd string kid who transferred into the university. Not the teams fault but maybe the head coach will now have to keep an eye on that aspect as well, since the AD is incapable of doing their job.
                        Isn't that just sad. I also can't help but think the CIS could have figured a better way to penalize this. The penalty should fit the crime and this isn't even close

Comment

It's quite sad, but Canadian universities often have the attitude that sport in general is beneath them. I understand they are educational institutions first, but sport benefits the University much more than they realize

Comment

Originally posted by hilltopsfan View Post
                            The problem with an illegible player is that how does anyone know they're not a 'ringer'? To be fair that doesn't appear to be the case here. But also to be fair to the Bears, Bisons & T-birds lost to a team with a potential ringer so the only recourse I see is forfeit. What other punishment would be acceptable to all involved?

As I said earlier I'm obviously not a Rams fan but I'd be saying the same if it were the Huskies. But I'd be way happier if this was about the Dinos lol

And as for my comment on the 'Browns win again' thread go Bengals!
                            There's lots of instances of penalties in sport being made on a case by case basis. In the NHL penalties for illegal hits or looked at in the context of the offense and the impact it had as well as on the tracker record of the offender. On field officiating is certainly based on judgement. Why shouldn't this also be looked at in that light. It would be easy for a tribunal to see if the offending player had an affect on the game or not. There would be a big difference between a starting player and someone who never even saw the field. I understand about precedent, but sometimes we just need to use our brains in cases like this

Comment

Originally posted by Green81 View Post

Isn't that just sad. I also can't help but think the CIS could have figured a better way to penalize this. The penalty should fit the crime and this isn't even close
                              The thing is, this has been the penalty for a long time. Four other Canada West teams have had to default games in past seasons under these rules, not to mention a bunch of teams out East as well. Sometimes the player was important, and other times not, but the punishment was always this heavy handed.

What is really harsh is what happens if you don't self report and USports finds out about it. When CIAU discovered UOttawa's ineligible player in 1998, they had to forfeit their titles from 1997, and played the entire 1999 season under sanction. Their 1999 team finished 8-0, but was unranked in the top 10 and was not allowed to play in the post-season.

It might be that the standard penalty is overly harsh, but if people only notice and complain when it happens to their own team, it'll never change.

Comment

Originally posted by Green81 View Post

It's quite sad, but Canadian universities often have the attitude that sport in general is beneath them. I understand they are educational institutions first, but sport benefits the University much more than they realize
                                There are several players I have coached that if it were not for football they likely would not have had the opportunity to go to university.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X