Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U of R Rams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel sick for those kids. Somebody royally ****ed up.

Comment

So it came out it was a clerical error at the Athletic Directors level. 3rd string kid who transferred into the university. Not the teams fault but maybe the head coach will now have to keep an eye on that aspect as well, since the AD is incapable of doing their job.

Comment

Wow, how sad. I feel for those young men.

Any way to make the player eligible retroactively?

Comment

This sort of thing happens way too often in university sports. Didnít UBC lose an entire year of football a few years back because of an eligibity infraction? Also in the past didnít an eliminated Regina Rams team suddenly make the playoffs once when Manitoba ran into eligibility issues and had some of their wins turned into losses? Perhaps the solution is that the national body of U Sport takes on the responsibility of ensuring every athlete participating in university athletics meets the eligibility requirements prior to the season. Right now itís a self policing situation among the 27 schools under the Usport umbrella and clearly thatís not working very well. U sport has to take some responsibility in this.

Comment

probably not going to help recruiting players

Comment

Originally posted by yqrsyd View Post
              This sort of thing happens way too often in university sports. Didnít UBC lose an entire year of football a few years back because of an eligibity infraction? Also in the past didnít an eliminated Regina Rams team suddenly make the playoffs once when Manitoba ran into eligibility issues and had some of their wins turned into losses? Perhaps the solution is that the national body of U Sport takes on the responsibility of ensuring every athlete participating in university athletics meets the eligibility requirements prior to the season. Right now itís a self policing situation among the 27 schools under the Usport umbrella and clearly thatís not working very well. U sport has to take some responsibility in this.
              I sorta recall the UBC & Bisons stuff you refer to, as well a team out east maybe??? But the fact of the matter is most teams play by the rules and some don't and some of them get caught. That said, doesn't sound like the Rams were deliberately cheating, rather somebody screwed up.

But USports only sets & enforces the rules, why should they make teams abide by the rules? From what you've said almost all football programs abide by them, and I'm sure almost all hockey, soccer, basketball, volleyball, track, etc all do the same. Should USports being checking up on the UQTR women's volleyball team the same as they "should've been" with the UofR men's football team?

By my handle you may think I don't really care for the Rams & you'd be correct. But had this story been about the Huskies I'd be disappointed in the organization and not blaming those who enforce the rules.
              National Champions '53 '58 '59 '68 '69 '78 '85 '91 '96 '01 '02 '03 '07 '10 '11 '12 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18

Comment

Originally posted by hilltopsfan View Post

I sorta recall the UBC & Bisons stuff you refer to, as well a team out east maybe??? But the fact of the matter is most teams play by the rules and some don't and some of them get caught. That said, doesn't sound like the Rams were deliberately cheating, rather somebody screwed up.

But USports only sets & enforces the rules, why should they make teams abide by the rules? From what you've said almost all football programs abide by them, and I'm sure almost all hockey, soccer, basketball, volleyball, track, etc all do the same. Should USports being checking up on the UQTR women's volleyball team the same as they "should've been" with the UofR men's football team?

By my handle you may think I don't really care for the Rams & you'd be correct. But had this story been about the Huskies I'd be disappointed in the organization and not blaming those who enforce the rules.
                The AD should lose her job for incompetence. And as far as a solution goes, maybe the USport people should have a running list of people who are academically ineligible for all sports played so that another school doesn't get beat with a forfeiture like this again.
                Last edited by Tyree; 10-09-2018, 11:07 PM.

Comment

...Ugh...Just plain devastating...Feel really bad for the players...Just doesn't seem right...

Comment

When I heard the news on this I felt a punch to the gut. Mistakes happen, and good on the U of R for fessing up. However, perhaps some oversight be U Sports would add another level of scrutiny to reduce the chances of error, and the possibility of ruining a season for the student-athletes involved.

Comment

Originally posted by MidNite Rider View Post
                      ...Ugh...Just plain devastating...Feel really bad for the players...Just doesn't seem right...
                      Agreed. Now their senior year is more or less wasted due to a pencil pusher not knowing what the hell is going on. And all for what, a guy that was a third stringer? Brutal. Like I said before, someone in that Admin office needs their *** kicked with a steel toed boot.

Comment

Originally posted by barefoot Bill View Post
                        When I heard the news on this I felt a punch to the gut. Mistakes happen, and good on the U of R for fessing up. However, perhaps some oversight be U Sports would add another level of scrutiny to reduce the chances of error, and the possibility of ruining a season for the student-athletes involved.
                        I think the punishment is way too stiff in this regard however I can't imagine how much work and extra man hours would be required by U Sports to have to check every school and sport for infractions before the start of each season. It has to be up to each school to do the initial checks and enforce eligibility rules throughout the season. U Sports doesn't have deep pockets like the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Green ThruNThru View Post

I think the punishment is way too stiff in this regard however I can't imagine how much work and extra man hours would be required by U Sports to have to check every school and sport for infractions before the start of each season. It has to be up to each school to do the initial checks and enforce eligibility rules throughout the season. U Sports doesn't have deep pockets like the NCAA.
                          It should be incumbent upon the schools to group the information of who is academically ineligible and forward that info on to USports who can be the keepers of said information and a repository for schools to use as a cross reference for possible transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by hilltopsfan View Post

This was not a Rams Football error, it was a an oversight and human error on the part of the University's Athletic Administration during the student athlete intake and eligibility process. This falls directly on the AD Lisa Robertson. This is pretty extreme punishment for a clerical error by the admin department.

There is an online petition emploring the University to launch an appeal. To date they have done nothing and appear to be sweeping this under the rug.
                            The petition will be sent to the three administrators of the University and closes at Noon on Friday.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-for-the-2018-university-of-regina-rams-football-team.html

Last edited by Huff Daddy; 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Fact is that this is the standard penalty for this type of violation. Whatís there to appeal?

Comment

Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post
                                Fact is that this is the standard penalty for this type of violation. Whatís there to appeal?
                                Yeah its already written in USports that any ineligible player who plays in games that the team forfeits all those wins. This is going nowhere. Appeal does nothing, the rules would have to be changed because they are pretty clear.

I agree with Huff Daddy though the penalty is ridiculous for those players and coaches on the Rams...I can't imagine how gutted they must feel, especially the senior players.
                                Waiting for the big ole splash...actually there was no big splash, just a peaceful ripple. Dammit, there was supposed to be a big ole splash!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X