Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riot Home Opener This Sunday June 3rd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riot Home Opener This Sunday June 3rd

It's time for my yearly plug for the Riot. I have taken over the role as defensive coordinator for the team this season and so far so good as the team is undefeated this year.

This Sunday is our home opener and final regular season game of the season (due to a cancelled game this past weekend with Winnipeg). It is also our fourth annual Teal Game in support of Ovarian Cancer, fans are encouraged to wear any teal items they may have to show support. This game will decide who finishes first in our conference and who will get a bye in the first round of the playoffs along with home field advantage the rest of the playoffs. This will be the team’s first game at new Mosaic Stadium. The championship game is also being hosted at new Mosaic Stadium this year with the game being held on June 24th.

“ "Your #ReginaRiot will host the Saskatoon Valkyries in Western Women's Canadian Football League Regular Season Action!

Join us for our 4th Annual Teal Game in support of Ovarian Cancer Canada:

Game Day Sponsor: AGT Foods Canada
    Date: June 3, 2018
    Kickoff: 2PM
    Tickets: $15 - Cash only!
    Children 12 and under are FREE!

There will be food, beverage and alcohol served at Western Pizza, and a merchandise stand will be on site for you to pick up all of your #ReginaRiot gear!
    #Riot18 #WWCFL”"

www.reginariotfootball.com

Click image for larger version  Name:	32150753_1632119996843884_8243410402856140800_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	163.0 KB ID:	225906

It's good to see Aimee back as QB, though I can't see her not being there until she is physically unable to play. She is a warrior.

She used to be my wife's personal trainer. Matt Zylack is our chiropractor now, from her recommendation.

We've gone to quite a few games in the past. We even drove out to IGF for the championship game a few years back. It's a good time.

We haven't gone recently so I was surprised that my very pregnant wife brought it up this morning. It might be the only game that we can get to be at in the next couple months. So we plan to be there today unless baby boy decides otherwise.

Also, the play the Valkyries. League rival and competition! Should be a really good game!
    Last edited by Batcow; 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM. Reason: Wife brought up that Saskatoon was playing today.

Comment

Early special teams fumble aside, Regina has looked really sharp. Beautiful day for a football game!

Comment

Haven't made it out to Valks game this year, but seems they must have lost a few of their top talents from years past. I will probably take in their Semi next week. Hopefully, they pull the upset the following week and beat the Riot.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcow View Post
          Early special teams fumble aside, Regina has looked really sharp. Beautiful day for a football game!
          Thanks for coming out, it was a beautiful day for a game and the game delivered that's for sure. Aimee is playing some of her best football she has ever played which is expected in her 8th season now with the team. We now await the winner of Lethbridge-Edmonton before hosting the league final here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
            Haven't made it out to Valks game this year, but seems they must have lost a few of their top talents from years past. I will probably take in their Semi next week. Hopefully, they pull the upset the following week and beat the Riot.
            Both teams have lost a lot from last year, can't say for sure how many starters they lost but they are missing former players like Friesen, Sam Mathesson, Marci.

For us we lost 3 starters on D and 4 starters on O. The teams have been fairly even for the last 3 seasons now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachKris View Post

Thanks for coming out, it was a beautiful day for a game and the game delivered that's for sure. Aimee is playing some of her best football she has ever played which is expected in her 8th season now with the team. We now await the winner of Lethbridge-Edmonton before hosting the league final here.
              A lot of her passes were on a rope. I was surprised at the strength in her first few passes (though I shouldn't be). By comparison, I would say the Saskatoon QB lobbed her passes a bit more.

Overall, the Riot was the best team in 2 of 3 phases. Offence and defence were both strong but Saskatoon's special teams were superior. Their kicker was amazing.

If it weren't for turnovers and special teams, I don't think it would be as close as it was. Mind you, there were 2-3 possible interceptions that were dropped by Regina. And there was redemption with the interception at the end to close the game.

I was a bit surprised that Saskatoon chose to lob the ball at the end when they were having success on the ground.

On a final note, my wife and I were joking that Aimee (QB) would have a lot to discuss with her sister Alex (Receiver).

But, all in all, I'm glad that my wife wanted to go. It was such a fine day to watch football.

Comment

"On the evening of June 10, 2018 the van of our Team Manager was stolen with our Regina Riot team uniforms in it. The van is a white 2016 Chrysler Town & Country with a Riot sticker on the back window and two Riot magnets on the sides of the van (though these have likely been removed). The uniforms were in two hockey bags – one is black and red and the other is a black and orange KOHO bag.
                We are asking for the public's assistance in helping us locate our missing uniforms. We believe these may have made their way into trash bins or have been ditched on the side of the road. If you see bags matching the description provided, or the uniforms, please contact us - ReginaRiotFootball@gmail.com.
                If you believe you have located the van, please contact the Regina Police (306-777-6500).
                If you are the individual(s) who has stolen the van and still have the uniforms in your possession – please return them to the doors of Royal LePage Regina Realty on 3889 Arcola Avenue. Please just drop them there – no questions asked.
                Please Note: We have acquired backup uniforms for the playoffs, but would prefer to play in our uniforms. Any assistance anyone could provide would be appreciated."

Image may contain: people playing sports

Comment

Hope they turn up. I can't imagine thieves would want them since they probably aren't so fresh smelling.

On a happier note, what happened to the other Manitoba team? I was surprised the Riot got a bye through to the Semis, which surprise me but are cross-division this year for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
                    Hope they turn up. I can't imagine thieves would want them since they probably aren't so fresh smelling.

On a happier note, what happened to the other Manitoba team? I was surprised the Riot got a bye through to the Semis, which surprise me but are cross-division this year for some reason.
                    The Wolfpack had to forfeit their season after 3 games due to too many injuries we were told which meant their last regular season game and any playoffs games (which would have been against us last weekend). We were quite disappointed to lose two home games, and an opportunity to get our young players a lot of playing time, but hopefully they return next season with better numbers.

Comment

It must be a bit tough on the Manitoba teams to get pummelled game after game. However, it is probably still better to have both of them in the league so that they have at least one opponent at their level for half of their schedule, rather than having them combine into one team and then get pummelled every game.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                        It must be a bit tough on the Manitoba teams to get pummelled game after game. However, it is probably still better to have both of them in the league so that they have at least one opponent at their level for half of their schedule, rather than having them combine into one team and then get pummelled every game.
                        The other team in Winnipeg (Manitoba Fearless) actually made some major steps this season, playing extremely close games against the Valkyries, only losing by 3 last weekend in a playoff game in Saskatoon. The biggest thing they are missing there is a QB. Ideally the two teams should combine to make one and they may actually be fully competitive but from what we know the two teams have some people that are not fond of each other thus preventing them from combining.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachKris View Post

The other team in Winnipeg (Manitoba Fearless) actually made some major steps this season, playing extremely close games against the Valkyries, only losing by 3 last weekend in a playoff game in Saskatoon. The biggest thing they are missing there is a QB. Ideally the two teams should combine to make one and they may actually be fully competitive but from what we know the two teams have some people that are not fond of each other thus preventing them from combining.
                          I hadn't been following the scores this year. I'm glad to see a Manitoba team play a competitive game. That hadn't really happened before this season.

The big downside to merging those teams is that their closest rival will be almost 600km away. Right now, they way they've structured the prairie conference schedule means that there is only one major trip for each team in the regular season. The 4 game schedule for each team has a home and away against their provincial rival, an out of province away game, and a home game hosting an out of province team. That is a brilliant way to schedule things to keep travel costs down, and also has the side effect of emphasising the more competitive match-ups. Moving to a 3 team division would mean that travel costs would substantially increase for the lone Manitoba team.

I would imagine that the future of the Grande Prairie team is in jeopardy after being outscored 309-0 this year. Alberta could be back down to 3 teams as well, though their geographic spread isn't as drastic as Manitoba/Saskatchewan.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

I hadn't been following the scores this year. I'm glad to see a Manitoba team play a competitive game. That hadn't really happened before this season.

The big downside to merging those teams is that their closest rival will be almost 600km away. Right now, they way they've structured the prairie conference schedule means that there is only one major trip for each team in the regular season. The 4 game schedule for each team has a home and away against their provincial rival, an out of province away game, and a home game hosting an out of province team. That is a brilliant way to schedule things to keep travel costs down, and also has the side effect of emphasising the more competitive match-ups. Moving to a 3 team division would mean that travel costs would substantially increase for the lone Manitoba team.

I would imagine that the future of the Grande Prairie team is in jeopardy after being outscored 309-0 this year. Alberta could be back down to 3 teams as well, though their geographic spread isn't as drastic as Manitoba/Saskatchewan.
                            With the major community success of the Fort Mac men's team in the Senior Alberta Football League, I could see Fort Mac starting a women's team. The Monarchs draw fairly well, I believe they get well over 2,000 people to their games (in comparison the Lloydminster Vandals are lucky to get 20 to their games when I used to go) and recruit exceedingly well. One of their players was in camp with the Riders this year and the majority have at least 5 years of USports experience and some even have NCAA experience. (There are rumours they are breaking the bylaws of the league by paying players to play essentially beer league football.) So I could see a women's team in Fort Mac doing well if they had the same sponsors behind them. There isn't much to do in Fort Mac in the summer as far as spectator sports, so you either go see the AFL team or the WMBL baseball team. So a WWCFL would fit in well with them. The downside to it would be travel for a team like Lethbridge, but it would be similar to the Manitoba teams.

It would be nice if there could be some sort of national championship for women's football. I know there is a league in the Maritimes and I think there might be teams in BC (though they may play American football like the Montreal Blitz does). It does get costly, I know the AFL champion plays the NFC (Ontario) champion. Lloyd used to be a very good team and had to travel out East for the game, they had to fundraise like crazy to get the cash for the entire team to fly to Toronto for the game. So I am not sure what kind of budgets the WWCFL and the MWFL have, so it may just be cost prohibitive. It is too bad that the IFAF and Football Canada don't do more to try and promote women's football. I know it is tough to convince a lot of parents to let their 9 year old play with the boys in a tackle league. But then again, I suspect a lot of boys don't play until high school. I know I didn't, but that was because Kinsmen Tackle Football had a 150 lbs. weight limit when I talked about playing in Grade 7 and I was over that. I know that there are some girls who play junior high school football. But most never play senior high school and I think it is because some senior coaches hold the idea that girls aren't tough enough to play (which is garbage). At my high school, anyone who wanted to play could as we had trouble attracting enough players. In Grade 12, I know three girls wanted to play and the coach told them no and they became our team managers. I know one girl was upset but nothing ever came out of it. Now that was 18 years ago, so I hope attitudes in high schools have changed across Canada. I know they have girls flag football here in Saskatoon now in the spring in high schools, so I imagine that the fall tackle coaches scout that now, as I am sure there are girls who would fit in most positions playing.

What would be great to see, but I am not sure how the IFAF does it (or if outside of perhaps Mosaic Stadium whether any football fields can be relined for American rules), but I would love to see Saskatchewan host the World Women's. I assume it will be a few years before Canada can host again, since it was held in BC last year (where Riders' Game Day Host Amanda Rullier played, I think the only LFL player on any country's roster). But when it comes around Football Saskatchewan needs to put in a bid assume logistics work.

Comment

Congrats on the win. Unfortunately could not make it this week.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X