Maxtron at Old Mosaic and other useless topics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtron at Old Mosaic and other useless topics

Can someone please explain to me why the two big video boards that are hardly 5 years old up for auction to the highest bidder? Could these have not been used in the park or better yet used for the hilltops or huskies? I thought it was part of the legacy of old Mosaic.
    Also what happened to the blow up helmet the Riders used to come out of? Kind miss that the new smoke and sparks are a little weak.
    Last edited by RD84; 07-16-2017, 09:49 PM.

There is supposed to be a new blowup helmet on the way.

as for thr Maxtron, 5 years is a long time in technology terms. The Hilltops or Huskies could likely have it for the cost of removal...even via the auction.

Can they afford the cost to remove, reconstruct and operate?

Comment

Much as we often don't think about it because it's all "behind the scenes," it takes a whole lot more than just screens to make an image appear in a stadium. There are video servers, specialized gfx programs, literally kilometers of cabling, camera people, cameras, switchers, gfx operators, maintenance people, and the list goes on and on. It's a major commitment by any sports organization or venue to take that on and make it work.

If the Huskies/Hilltops/Insert-Minor-Football-League-here can provide all that and get the screens moved, reassembled, and working that would be great! It's a daunting challenge.
      Last edited by Doug123; 07-16-2017, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug123 View Post
        Much as we often don't think about it because it's all "behind the scenes," it takes a whole lot more than just screens to make an image appear in a stadium. There are video servers, specialized gfx programs, literally kilometers of cabling, camera people, cameras, switchers, gfx operators, maintenance people, and the list goes on and on. It's a major commitment by any sports organization or venue to take that on and make it work.

If the Huskies/Hilltops/Insert-Minor-Football-League-here can provide all that and get the screens moved, reassembled, and working that would be great! It's a daunting challenge.
        The Hilltops definitely wouldn't be interested. The Huskies might be as all their games are being streamed already, so putting the stream up on the Maxtron is probably not a huge issue. I don't know if there was any behind the scenes donation talk with anyone about it, but if it was part of the legacy project donations that would have been done when Brian Towriss was still the Huskies head coach. I remember that in the 90s, when the Huskies went to the Vanier Cup at Skydome, he always told his players he wanted the end zone away from the Jumbotron in the fourth quarter. He always said that players would be forever watching themselves on it and not keeping their heads in the game. So it might be something that the Riders may have offered and he turned down for this reason. I am sure money is not a huge factor to David Dube and his improvements of the field. But knowing the little I do about him, he wouldn't want a used one but rather the biggest and best and similar to something you'd find in a Division I NCAA stadium.

With the $10,000 deposit that is needed to bid on it, I suspect it will scare away any smaller programs like small town high schools in Saskatchewan from bidding on it. As much of a shame as it would be to see it destroyed, I suspect it may be one of the things that is junked. I haven't looked at the auction since things went up for bid, so I don't know if it has attracted any bids, but I suspect between the deposit and the bring your own people to remove it and move it clause that few will be interested in it. The unique shape of it also doesn't lend itself to out of Province buyers, as I could see one of the smaller Universities in North Dakota or whatever possibly being interested in a screen for relatively cheap. But since it is Saskatchewan shaped, would a school like Dickinson State or St. Cloud State be interested in something like that? Also, any farther than North Dakota or Minnesota and it becomes very expensive to send a team up to take it down and move it. So say a school in Texas wouldn't be interested because it would be prohibitively expensive to ship it down.

But I can guarantee the Hilltops/SMF Field/the Friends of the Bowl campaign don't have the cash to move it. Plus, SMF Field did just get a new scoreboard, so what would they do with the scoreboard you have to take with it?

I wonder how easy it is to get parts for any more? It might be hard to get replacement parts with it being the age it is. In electronics that is like trying to get a part for a 5 year old laptop, good luck finding it.
        Last edited by Shootmaster_44; 07-18-2017, 03:49 AM.

Comment

I thought there was a bid on the Maxtron, but I just looked and there isn't now.
          Mmmmmmm! Thank you.

Comment

I was told by someone in the know that they are already totally obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug123 View Post

Didn't really think about what it would take to operate it. Guess it's really a lot of work for little gain. I guess I'm just surprised that something like that wouldn't get more interest. Hard to believe that they are obsolete already when there are video boards out there 3 or 4 times older still being used in ballparks.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that there are 20 year old video boards still in use.
                It's a beautiful war

Comment

Man I just checked that auction site, they are literally selling everything, even the trees around the stadium. You can also be the proud new owner of a set of used mops and buckets if you're lucky.

Comment

Which board was it that was given to Leibel Field then? Or was I dreaming that? Maybe the scoreboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormer View Post
                      I was told by someone in the know that they are already totally obsolete.
                      If so, I hope we are getting more value and satisfaction from the board in NMS. What price mug shots of fans instead of replays if the thing will be obsolete in a few years?

Comment

As with all things technological, in three years it will be outdated, and probably due to be replaced in 5.
                        It's a beautiful war

Comment

Originally posted by Sprout View Post

If so, I hope we are getting more value and satisfaction from the board in NMS. What price mug shots of fans instead of replays if the thing will be obsolete in a few years?
                          Obsolete doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. If someone was going to buy something new, they would get much more value than buying this thing used. Perhaps for a similar price.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X