Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBA Ratio News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's so, but back in the 60s/70s Americans were able to play as "Canadians" after some years of residency. It wasn't a bad thing.

Comment

It is too bad this isn't true. American vets mean just as much to the community as Canadian players do.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
        I don't think it's so, but back in the 60s/70s Americans were able to play as "Canadians" after some years of residency. It wasn't a bad thing.
        But the number of non-imports was much higher. If you based it around years of service with the same team (say 5), it leads to continuity, but if they were to revive that kind of model, they'd need to raise the number of Nationals.

Comment

But very few qualified, Lancaster being the only one I can recall. If I recall correctly, it was a one time opportunity for players who were in the league for the 1960 season and had 5 years in the league. Ronnie qualified in 1965 and was grandfathered in until his retirement. So it was not an ongoing thing.

I may not be 100% correct on the parameters but that was how it worked.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what the real story is. We heard that there will be no change to the ratio, but there could be a change in who qualifies as "Canadian". I presumed that would mean minor like tweaking like making non-Canadian CIS grads qualify, or something like that. We've also heard that there is some sort of protection for veteran imports. Some are saying that protection is through status as a national, and others are saying this is not the case.

The way I read it originally was a requirement that a certain number of import starters are veteran players (having played either 3 years on their current team, or 4 years total in the CFL). That is an interesting idea, but I don't know exactly how they'll enforce that on game day. If imports can still freely substitute with one another (while adhering to the DI rule), what is to stop teams from listing veterans as a "starter" on the roster but then replacing them with their backup? It seems like they are only really protecting roster positions rather than starting positions. Either that or they've changed the ratio so it can no longer be enforced just by watching DIS, which will means referees are going to have a real difficult time with it.

If those imports are protected by declaring them nationals, then that certainly makes it easier to enforce on the field, but doesn't entirely jive with the the news we've been getting.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post

But very few qualified, Lancaster being the only one I can recall. If I recall correctly, it was a one time opportunity for players who were in the league for the 1960 season and had 5 years in the league. Ronnie qualified in 1965 and was grandfathered in until his retirement. So it was not an ongoing thing.

I may not be 100% correct on the parameters but that was how it worked.
              Actually, the way it worked was that after 5 years as a resident in Canada a person was eligible to become a Canadian citizen. Once a player was a Canadian citizen he would then be counted as a Canadian with the CFL's ratio.

The TiCats were the team that took the greatest advantage of this loophole. Having HoF tackles Angelo Mosca and John Barrow playing side by side on the D line as Canadians gave them a huge edge and was probably the major reason that the CFL eventually changed the rule.
              Lionbacker

Comment

Originally posted by DanoT View Post

Actually, the way it worked was that after 5 years as a resident in Canada a person was eligible to become a Canadian citizen. Once a player was a Canadian citizen he would then be counted as a Canadian with the CFL's ratio.

The TiCats were the team that took the greatest advantage of this loophole. Having HoF tackles Angelo Mosca and John Barrow playing side by side on the D line as Canadians gave them a huge edge and was probably the major reason that the CFL eventually changed the rule.
                Okay, thanks for the clarification. I thought they also had to be on a CFL roster during the 1960 season as a starting point.

Ronnie was the only Rider that played under this status as far as I know. George came to the league in 1963 so was not eligible, even though he also became a citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoi View Post
                  According to this article, American players would be considered Canadians if they spend more than 3 seasons on one team. If this is correct this is the biggest news by far of the new CBA. This will send some into a tizzy. Worthy of its own thread and likely to cause quite the debate.

https://medicinehatnews.com/sports/n...ith-cfl-teams/
                  Can confirm to you that the info in the first few paragraphs is wrong. This article was re-written later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cflgridiron View Post

Rod P I would not consider a journalist.
                    I guess he is doing what he can to make a buck these days. All those interesting oppurtunities he suppossely had when he QUIT wink wink the radio station are pretty slow in coming it appears!

Comment

How do you safeguard against cheating on this one?

Comment

I would be okay with a return to that as long as they are going through the citizenship process.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                          How do you safeguard against cheating on this one?

I think the intent is for in game substitutions. They also state that a Canadian can go in for an injured Veteran American player. Basically this modifies the designated import I think. I dont think you can change out the ratio from game to game just in game if you get 4 or 5 injuries like we have seen can occur at times.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
                              I still think it only applies to that specific game. So you would be wasting money having a guy on your roster get replaced every game for "injury". You would still have to have 7 national starters the next game, if they say it can carry over then there would be an issue but intent vs practice will be interesting.

Comment

I think the only way to ensure this isn't completely abused would be some stipulation where the injury has to be serious. Maybe the injured national player would be forced to sit out at least a week. Even that solution has a whole ton of issues.

I really hope there is more to it than this, otherwise it is possible that every DI could end up entering the game because the national starters just happen to get injured all the time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X