Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL and CFLPA reach agreement on new CBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see why veteran players aren't happy. However I figured all along an increase in minimum would take money from their pockets.
    Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

No. Wed be dropping from 7 Canadian starters to 5 or 6. Hardly a drastic change like your exaggerated posts suggests.
      Issue with dropping the ratio is you become even more tunnel visioned on one spot... run 3 Nat OL, a S, and maybe your 4th Receiver/ FB... 4 on O and 1 on D... you have 20+ ST Canadians, with maybe 3 capable of backing up the one guy on the field. get your O line depth. it just makes those "Ratio breaking" players that much more valuable. guys like Sinopoli, Fantuz, Harris, etc.. those guys become so much more valuable, and guys able to back them up just as valuable.

Or you'll see teams take the discount Canadian route and run a super stacked Import team and play "hide the Canadians" with their 5 mediocre talents that are easily replaced in case of injury. I don't like it, it doesn't grow the Canadian game at all. We should be trying to become less dependent on the US players, not more dependent on them.

Comment

A raise at the bottom is very badly needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

Issue with dropping the ratio is you become even more tunnel visioned on one spot... run 3 Nat OL, a S, and maybe your 4th Receiver/ FB... 4 on O and 1 on D... you have 20+ ST Canadians, with maybe 3 capable of backing up the one guy on the field. get your O line depth. it just makes those "Ratio breaking" players that much more valuable. guys like Sinopoli, Fantuz, Harris, etc.. those guys become so much more valuable, and guys able to back them up just as valuable.

Or you'll see teams take the discount Canadian route and run a super stacked Import team and play "hide the Canadians" with their 5 mediocre talents that are easily replaced in case of injury. I don't like it, it doesn't grow the Canadian game at all. We should be trying to become less dependent on the US players, not more dependent on them.
          Junior football and Canadian College games are much more affordable if this is what one wants.
          Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post
            Is there any other pro sports league that requires a ratio of national talent?
            Most domestic pro leagues in most sports do so. In fact, most are much more restrictive about it than the CFL. In the CFL, half the roster and most of the starters can be imports. In a lot of other leagues, there are only a handful of spots available to imports.

EU law has forced many European leagues to be less protective at the national level, but they still restrict how many players can be imported from outside the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by gilligan View Post

Most domestic pro leagues in most sports do so. In fact, most are much more restrictive about it than the CFL. In the CFL, half the roster and most of the starters can be imports. In a lot of other leagues, there are only a handful of spots available to imports.

EU law has forced many European leagues to be less protective at the national level, but they still restrict how many players can be imported from outside the EU.
              Fair enough. I was wondering how unique the CFL was in that regard. Not very from the sounds of things.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejth View Post

While there are large number of National players that sit on the bench, I doubt many of them make more then a starting vet. I would be surprised if at the peak of his career, the Forde made more then $75K, being a back up player. Sure they gave him opportunity to try and start, what about the career Sask fullback, he likely didn't get much different. But what you are not factoring into your equation, is the salary increases for all these American starters that you want to bring up here to replace Canadian's sitting on the bench.

Lets assume for a minute that a team has 7 solid Canadian starters, another 2 kickers, 2 back up olineman (maybe 3), then maybe 2 or 3 guys that could start or are still developing into starters. That means you have 14 or 15 potential starter who get a Canadian premium. But that leaves the 6 or 7 that get paid less significantly less then the starters. So convert those 6 or 7 players to imports, you will need to give them all raises because they will be fighting to be starters.
                The problem with this logic is you assume every team has 7 quality starters, 2 kickers and backups for these players which I don't believe is true. There are guys that hold their own and compete but those guys are likely getting the job if there is 5 or 7 national starters. Even if you could say every team is fielding quality nationals as starters the drop off for their backups is gar bigger. Until we either have a bigger population to develop these athletes combined with quality football programs the CFL can't fix the national problem. All it can do is find the balance between available talent and dedicated roster spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Junior football and Canadian College games are much more affordable if this is what one wants.
                  I know youve probably stated your opinion before but instead of running through old threads, are you pro a reduction in cdn requirements? Im curious as you played NCAA after coming up in the Canadian programs. I would think you would be a supporter of building the Canadian players.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

I support our grassroots programs as best I can, and in no way saying I don't like the CFL /. Pro football, I am saying we should be putting more focus on the Junior / USports Programs to help them support the development of our athletes and bridge that gap rather then just surrendering the fact there is a gap and limiting the opportunity for our youth. Our athletes have just as much talent as most US athletes, the difference is how much we refine that talent here versus the US.. Most of our homegrown athletes come into the pro level completely unprepared because the grassroots programs are at a disadvantage compared to their US counterparts.

I don't understand why people are so okay with the idea of having all american teams playing 3 down rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

Awesome to hear the base finally getting some love. Huge deal IMO. Was hoping it would hit 70, but 65 is getting it going finally.

me thinks a couple teams are cringing at the 50k thing.
                      The bottom needed a fix. But the 50000 increase year over year to the SMS yet again is a joke. Imo. Needed to be at least double that. I guess the league is perpetually in a weak state these days. Fanship down.

count me in a satisfied it is done and that the ratio remains the same as I suspected it would. Too change it drastically on short notice without a plan is lunacy. No way was it happening this year.
                      Last edited by Dreegking; 05-15-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by XTANT View Post

The problem with this logic is you assume every team has 7 quality starters, 2 kickers and backups for these players which I don't believe is true. There are guys that hold their own and compete but those guys are likely getting the job if there is 5 or 7 national starters. Even if you could say every team is fielding quality nationals as starters the drop off for their backups is gar bigger. Until we either have a bigger population to develop these athletes combined with quality football programs the CFL can't fix the national problem. All it can do is find the balance between available talent and dedicated roster spots.
                        How?? The issue is again development... it takes so much most time for a USports kid to develop into a Pro-caliber player then it does a Div1 NCAA kid... the level of competition is so much greater in the NCAA because football development is such a paramount focus in a lot of the South. So why would I try to see what a Canadian kid can do, and really devote time to developing him, when I can find a suitable American who potentially has a lower ceiling but has reached it already and can start....

When you think the average pro football career is under 5 years, it's hard to devote 3 of those years to developing someone.

I guarantee you that ig you drop the ratio altogether there wouldn't be one USPORTS athlete on the 46 man roster... you might have some NCAA "Canadians" or Canadian kids that played NCAA ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I guarantee you there are more then 10 players on a 46 man roster making at or less than 65k... It doesn't say any increase for this season, likely because teams will REALLY need to adjust their spending going into year 2 and 3... those players that took multi-year contracts are laughing atm, while those vets banking on increases with only a 1 year contract are going to be PISSED
                          Those multi-year contracts mean absolutely nothing. They will be approached to take a cut and if they say no, they will be cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreegking View Post

The bottom needed a fix. But the 50000 increase year over year to the SMS yet again is a joke. Imo. Needed to be at least double that. I guess the league is perpetually in a weak state these days. Fanship down.

count me in a satisfied it is done and that the ratio remains the same as I suspected it would. Too change it drastically on short notice without a plan is lunacy. No way was it happening this year.
                            So if the money isn't there we should be paying it anyway. I don't get your logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post

Fair enough. I was wondering how unique the CFL was in that regard. Not very from the sounds of things.
                              From a global perspective it isn't. It is somewhat unique compared to the pro sports that Canadians generally watch. MLS is the one other pro league that comes to mind that has both a ratio and somewhat decent attendance/viewership in Canada.

The other major draws are either the "big 4" American pro leagues (no ratios with global recruiting and audiences), domestic amateur/college leagues, or pro leagues like NLL where where they don't need to enforce a ratio to have most of the players being Canadian.

On the amateur side, the CHL/WHL have a strict limit on the number of imports. They'd have a lot of Canadian players even without that restriction, but they've decided that they want to serve national development first and foremost. Most other amateur leagues wouldn't draw in enough out of country talent to require a rule in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by lester View Post

Those multi-year contracts mean absolutely nothing. They will be approached to take a cut and if they say no, they will be cut.
                                I dont see BC cutting Reilly or CGY cutting BLM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X