Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL and CFLPA reach agreement on new CBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go players go

Comment

Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

This type of short sighted view boils my blood... We should be looking at funneling more support and energy into our grassroots programs to encourage more talent from the U sports programs, not limiting the jobs for our own kids.

Think of it this way.... would you be willing to have over half your workplace be replaced by international workers who will work for less, at the risk of your own job?

These are slippery slopes, once the number of imports out weigh the number of Nationals, we might as well call ourselves NFLjr as the CFLPA will be focused more on international priorities then on National...

Let's use this phrase... "American RB's are a dime a dozen" same argument can be used for almost ALL international positions, as the sheer volume of them blots out the Canadian talent. Their value is diminished due to the fact that their are so many of them.... Yet when applied to other businesses, people get irrate when a company outsources their Call centers to India or other places where the workforce is so plentiful they will work for next to nothing.

Personally, I'd keep the roster ratio as is, maybe reduce the amount of starters by 1-2, and add some sort of incentives for having Canadian players, give them a national bonus that doesn't count towards SMS... that way American's can't bitch that someone "makes more" then them, because it is a bonus that is paid out based on passport.

I am tired of hearing this "best product on the field" garbage.... AAFL was literally all those American's not in the NFL that we think we are missing out on... and the on field product was GARBAGE
      So you admit that those guys were garbage and yet most would walk circles around the default Canadian athlete who was given a job because of his passport. The top Canadian talent will always get a job because they are the best of that bunch and with expansion those number increase. Letting a kid sit on a pro roster and look like garbage isn't helping the league, the fans enjoyment or his development.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post
        And so they should fight , appears they where successful then in backing up what their "asks" where , and the league agreed to them .

Comment

When does this new CBA expire?

Comment

Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
            Great news. Raises that little cloud that was hanging over every piece of good news this off season
            So, me boy, are you gonna make plans for a weekend in Saskatoon?

Comment

Good news. Since they did not wait for the eleventh hour I assume both sides moved. That is the way it should work. No idea what the deal may be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

It certainly will.

All I have been advocating for was a change to the minimums, a slight increase to the cap (maybe staggered) and ideally a drop of at least one Canadian starter. If Stronson's speculation is correct, it looks like I may be a happy guy when this all comes out.
                So, now we will be a league composed entirely of NFL rejects ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mallard View Post

I suspect a drop in ni starters would be somehow tied to the number of teams operating. Eg adding Halifax
                  That is what I am thinking too. The drop to 5 would take effect the year that the Schooners play, if they indeed start before the conclusion of this CBA..

Comment

Mike Abou-Mechrek nailed a lot of my sentiment on the ratio. Expansion on terms/qualifiers is a better path than reduction. He laid out some ideas I didn't love, but he had some good ones as well. One being that is someone pays only Canadian taxes for X amount of time, then they are Canadian

he also laid into the ops cap pretty good as well.

green zone from May 13th.
                    Last edited by Beacon.x; 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM.
                    #keepthepromise

Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

Comment

Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor 29m29 minutes ago

Various sources confirm the CDN ratio will NOT change in new CBA. #CFL

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I just want the best players on the field regardless of what passport they hold. I do value the Canadian aspect of it to a degree which is why I wouldn't advocate for it's elimination completely. Brace yourself though, if speculation is right, there will be starting Canadians losing their starter jobs that they only have because of where they were born .... or in some cases because a relative has some sort of connection to Canada despite them themselves never stepping into the country prior to playing here.
                        Fact is we arenít ever going to get the best players on the field. They go to the NFL. If we pursue that direction we will fail because we canít compete with them. We need to differentiate ourselves as much as possible

Comment

There is an old saying that states you know it is a good deal if both sides are upset and view themselves as giving up too much.

Seems like we have heard from 1 side that they aren't happy. Will wait to see the sentiment from the owners side.

Comment

Any guesses on whether the 1 year deals survived negotiations? Sort of hoping they go back to 2 year deals.

Comment

Originally posted by carmen16 View Post
                              Jason Gregor‏Verified account @JasonGregor 29m29 minutes ago

Various sources confirm the CDN ratio will NOT change in new CBA. #CFL
                              That will be a surprise. I was kind of hoping for a drop to 6. Wonder why they changed there minds on that.

Comment

Is there any other pro sports league that requires a ratio of national talent?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X