Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL and CFLPA reach agreement on new CBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lester View Post

Huff is no Taman, so I doubt he's thinking that a soon to be 34 year old, more often injured than not player, is going to be his starting MLB to make ratio. Also, I did a quick look back at the Stamps gameday depth charts from last year and at no point was Greenwood listed among the backups at MLB for the Stamps. He shows up at the WIL spot a few times. I may have missed a few, but I looked at least 10 games. plus the playoff games. That doesn't mean they still don't need to find another Canadian starter, but I doubt it is Greenwood. It might be another OL guy as they listed two there for the Grey Cup and they continue to play two Canadian receivers.
    I just went off Danny Austin (their best writers) projection.

And yes they will start three NI OL. Thatís the plan as far as I know. Bergman and Erdos with likely Sceviour. Again the pre TC depth chart has Sceviour at C and moving import Williams to tackle.

There will again need to be 2 NI receivers. Beescacin for sure and then one of Sindani or Lynch (maybe outside shot at their first round pick doing well in camp).

It is possible they go import at MLB with Wigan at DT and (yuck) Courtney Stephen at S. The recent retirement of Adam Berger coupled with the FA loss of Adeleke has really messed with their safety spot.

Regardless, they have some real concerns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I just went off Danny Austin (their best writers) projection.

And yes they will start three NI OL. Thatís the plan as far as I know. Bergman and Erdos with likely Sceviour. Again the pre TC depth chart has Sceviour at C and moving import Williams to tackle.

There will again need to be 2 NI receivers. Beescacin for sure and then one of Sindani or Lynch (maybe outside shot at their first round pick doing well in camp).

It is possible they go import at MLB with Wigan at DT and (yuck) Courtney Stephen at S. The recent retirement of Adam Berger coupled with the FA loss of Adeleke has really messed with their safety spot.

Regardless, they have some real concerns.
      Based on Huff's track record, I'm writing in a home playoff game for Calgary with a pen.

If they have five Canadians on O, they only need two on D and one of those spots will definitely be a DL spot, with the other likely at S.

Whatever though, I'm glad they struck a deal, but that minimum number of American veterans is a little odd.

Comment

Based on Huff's track record, I'm writing in a home playoff game for Calgary with a pen.

If they have five Canadians on O, they only need two on D and one of those spots will definitely be a DL spot, with the other likely at S.
        I donít disagree with you on the first point. Hard to dispute that, they just find ways to plug in replacements. This year will be there toughest test yet though. Iíll be shocked though if they arenít first or second as well.

In that ratio scenario its doable bur boy are they vulnerable at safety. Itís going to be like the days they were trotting out Eric Fraser and teams would just pick on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

Football, baby!
          Ridermania should really been the one to start this thread. He broke the news first

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoi View Post

Ridermania should really been the one to start this thread. He broke the news first
            Nobody here broke the news. Posting a link to someone elseís news story isnít breaking news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post

Brandon Bridge's ship just came in.
              That's nice, but the downside is it's Brandon Bridge

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post

Yip, still not going to help him put touch on a pass, is it? Hmmm, you 5 yards away, me rifle ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                  This could make things interesting and leave a team possibly desperate to sign someone off the street to meet game day compliance:

"..Among the American starters, 3 of them must have played 3 yrs with their existing teams or 4 yrs in #CFL. This in an effort to protect veteran players & build continuity."

Farhan Lalji‏Verified account @FarhanLaljiTSN
                  Gee Al Ford retired too soon

Comment

• Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

This is a dumb add in.
                    Yep. It flies in the face of the best players playing.

Also a nightmare for coaches and officials to add that layer of complexity

Comment

Iím no fan of Bridge but heís definitely worth having as a third stringer in order to dress an extra American and leave your worst Canadian off the roster.

Comment

Whatever though, I'm glad they struck a deal, but that minimum number of American veterans is a little odd.
                        What's odd about that rule is, did anyone really think that was a problem that needed addressing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Iím no fan of Bridge but heís definitely worth having as a third stringer in order to dress an extra American and leave your worst Canadian off the roster.
                          I guess the upside is he could be a backup receiver or something. With the DI rule there's no advantage to be had if he is on the bench

Comment

What's odd about that rule is, did anyone really think that was a problem that needed addressing?
                            I'm thinking that came from the players. They likely think that it may force teams to honor contracts and not be so quick to replace them with someone cheaper. I'm not sure if I have seen what the exact rule is though as I've seen a few different things stated. Will a player still count towards this number if they are injured?

Serious question, but would the 2016 Riders have broke that rule? We did sign some imports with CFL experience, but I don't recall many import players that survived the purge. I can quickly come up with Durant and Knox, but that's about all I can remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                              With QBs in the ratio, teams can now dress a 3rd string Canadian QB, freeing up another import to be a DI elsewhere. If most teams do this, we'll see slightly less of a role for Canadian rotational players. It isn't a as big of a backslide as reducing the number of starters, but it will have a small impact. I personally would've preferred that they added another national spot as part of this shift (making rosters 50/50), then reduce that after expansion, but overall I don't mind the trade-offs they're making.

This new global player could theoretically become a starter at the expense of a Canadian too. It isn't likely at first, but it is possible. Canadian starting spots are protected by some imports having DI designations, requiring all of these "extra" imports to replace another import to get on the field. Since global players won't be designated as imports, they can freely substitute for anyone. In theory, teams now only need to start 6 Canadians, but would only do so if they can find a global player who is better than their 7th Canadian.
                              Why would a backup QB count as a starter. Wouldnít it just be a backup so part of the 21 Canadians it not part of the starting 7

Comment

I'm thinking that came from the players. They likely think that it may force teams to honor contracts and not be so quick to replace them with someone cheaper. I'm not sure if I have seen what the exact rule is though as I've seen a few different things stated. Will a player still count towards this number if they are injured?

Serious question, but would the 2016 Riders have broke that rule? We did sign some imports with CFL experience, but I don't recall many import players that survived the purge. I can quickly come up with Durant and Knox, but that's about all I can remember.
                                Maybe Ed Gainey & Otha Foster? But you're right, not many on that team

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X