Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CFL and CFLPA reach agreement on new CBA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gchef View Post

That will be a surprise. I was kind of hoping for a drop to 6. Wonder why they changed there minds on that.
    Probably the PA was against it

Comment

• Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

This is a dumb add in.
      A team gets the injury bug and guys like Dressler will be getting phone calls and paid just to put on a uniform.
      Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Jmdirk View Post
        Is there any other pro sports league that requires a ratio of national talent?
        Yep quite a few

Comment

• Originally posted by Knighthawk View Post

This is a dumb add in.
          It's kind of a work around to one year contracts. It could end up being harder to balance than the # of Nationals. If a team is absolutely horrid and they do a complete tear down, they need to ensure that they still have CFL vets with several years under their belts.

Comment

• Originally posted by go riders View Post

It's kind of a work around to one year contracts. It could end up being harder to balance than the # of Nationals. If a team is absolutely horrid and they do a complete tear down, they need to ensure that they still have CFL vets with several years under their belts.
            it makes the idea of a complete rebuild almost none existent unless you are wanting to front load some veterans into your lineup until year 2-3

Comment

• Originally posted by carmen16 View Post

Hmmm, maybe this is what some vets are not liking. I suspect the problem will be worse where you have the QB of the team taking such a huge chunk of the cap.
              Yep if you have a bunch of guys making min so you can blow a fortune on the starting QB, if they all get a raise, Where's that room gonna come from? I Reilly don't know

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post

Yep if you have a bunch of guys making min so you can blow a fortune on the starting QB, if they all get a raise, Where's that room gonna come from? I Reilly don't know
                It's not going to come from Reilly.

The top tier will still get theirs. What will end up happening is we see more min contracts to go with the big ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

it makes the idea of a complete rebuild almost none existent unless you are wanting to front load some veterans into your lineup until year 2-3
                  If you can't find 3 American's with at least 4 years of experience that's not a rebuild that's not a rebuild - you've blown the damn thing up, burned the rubble, nuked the ashed and launched the rest out into space.

Pretty good chance one of those is a QB so you're typically only looking at 2 other positions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Itzgodzilla View Post

I support our grassroots programs as best I can, and in no way saying I don't like the CFL /. Pro football, I am saying we should be putting more focus on the Junior / USports Programs to help them support the development of our athletes and bridge that gap rather then just surrendering the fact there is a gap and limiting the opportunity for our youth. Our athletes have just as much talent as most US athletes, the difference is how much we refine that talent here versus the US.. Most of our homegrown athletes come into the pro level completely unprepared because the grassroots programs are at a disadvantage compared to their US counterparts.

I don't understand why people are so okay with the idea of having all american teams playing 3 down rules.
                    You might be having trouble understanding because absolutely no one is saying theyíre okay with having a team full of Americans. Reducing the required starters from 7 to 5 isnít a bad thing, especially if they still require teams to hold 21 roster spots for nationals. Most kids are actually going to be allowed to develop instead of being thrown into the fire, not making much improvement after two years, and being thrown to the dumpster pile.

Even if the required number of starters does drop to 5, youíre still likely going to see 6 or 7 Canadians starting. Itís shown true time and again that the teams with the best Canadian talent and depth are the ones winning the grey cup. This usually means the teams starting more than the required 7 are the last ones standing come November. I highly doubt youíre going to see that change, but instead of starting 9 or 10, youíll just be seeing 7 or 8 with much better quality depth and development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green81 View Post

Fact is we arenít ever going to get the best players on the field. They go to the NFL. If we pursue that direction we will fail because we canít compete with them. We need to differentiate ourselves as much as possible
                      So we should look for the worst players?

Sweet, I might get a shot after all!
                      Is it May yet?

Comment

• It will be noteworthy if the QB position has been ratio altered so that if a Canadian is playing QB it can now be counted as a Canadian for ratio purposes!

Comment

• Originally posted by rantymniuk View Post
                          It will be noteworthy if the QB position has been ratio altered so that if a Canadian is playing QB it can now be counted as a Canadian for ratio purposes!
                          QBs now count against the ratio.

Comment

• With QBs in the ratio, teams can now dress a 3rd string Canadian QB, freeing up another import to be a DI elsewhere. If most teams do this, we'll see slightly less of a role for Canadian rotational players. It isn't a as big of a backslide as reducing the number of starters, but it will have a small impact. I personally would've preferred that they added another national spot as part of this shift (making rosters 50/50), then reduce that after expansion, but overall I don't mind the trade-offs they're making.

This new global player could theoretically become a starter at the expense of a Canadian too. It isn't likely at first, but it is possible. Canadian starting spots are protected by some imports having DI designations, requiring all of these "extra" imports to replace another import to get on the field. Since global players won't be designated as imports, they can freely substitute for anyone. In theory, teams now only need to start 6 Canadians, but would only do so if they can find a global player who is better than their 7th Canadian.

Comment

• While I was in favour of the ratio dropping, one thing Iíll say is that I like our NI depth better now than at anytime since the Grey Cup win.

I also see Calgary as being challenged ratio wise. While Iím no fan of Hurl/Judge being classed as a ďstarterĒ they are looking at likely having Cory Greenwood as their starting MLB. If thatís true, IMO they have they went from the best Canadian starting LB in the league to the worst - and a very injury prone one at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by gilligan View Post
                                Since global players won't be designated as imports, they can freely substitute for anyone. In theory, teams now only need to start 6 Canadians, but would only do so if they can find a global player who is better than their 7th Canadian.
                                Why only 6? Game day roster is being expanded to 45 to add the Global.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X