Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riders sign Punter Jon Ryan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squish View Post

What do you think we paid Bartel?
    Doubt Bartel was making a 100k. That being said, that was the only way a punter the calibre of Ryan signs in the CFL. For all of those wondering why Ryan didn't play for league minimum, it's partly because players sign for as much as they can get so as not to upset the pay scale for everybody else. Deep home town discounts are rare nowadays because agents talk their players out of them for the good of the overall pay scale for the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMWT View Post

Doubt Bartel was making a 100k. That being said, that was the only way a punter the calibre of Ryan signs in the CFL. For all of those wondering why Ryan didn't play for league minimum, it's partly because players sign for as much as they can get so as not to upset the pay scale for everybody else. Deep home town discounts are rare nowadays because agents talk their players out of them for the good of the overall pay scale for the position.
      We probably paid him 80 though. This isnít much of a difference.

Comment

• I don't think paying any one player 100k is going to throw the salary cap out of whack.

Also it is on the high end for a punter, but not by much, I'd surmise

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
          I don't think paying any one player 100k is going to throw the salary cap out of whack.

Also it is on the high end for a punter, but not by much, I'd surmise
          Its on the high end for a punter, because he is a high end punter.

I just hope now with our solid kicking game that the offense doesn't regress some more. I can vividly remember a time when the only thing we had to look forward to was 3rd down. If the ball was over mid field Ridgway would make a FG and if was still in our end Ken Clark would boom one deep.

Comment

We probably paid him 80 though. This isnít much of a difference.
            Exactly. Anyone thinking we just increased our salary by $100k is missing the Bartel factor. I would also expect he was at around $80k. So really we increased our SMS total by roughly $20k.

Of note, I did read that the $100k to Ryan includes all incentives.

Comment

• Incentive 1. Gets a bonus if Squishes eyes light up in glee like a kid watching July 1 fireworks each time he punts

Last edited by Bigsexydawg; 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM.
              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Here's to hoping that the a high precentage of his plays is as a holder

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post
                  Incentive 1. Gets a bonus if Squishes eyes light up in glee like a kid watching July 1 fireworks each time he punts
                  I'm far from the only one.We'll have fun while you grumble something about outkicking the coverage and pining for the days of the Bartel Aussie-shank special. "But... but... he could kick really high in practise!" lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post
                    Here's to hoping that the a high precentage of his plays is as a holder
                    I forgot he was a holder for the 'Hawks. I wonder if that will be in play with us? Who was our holder last year? I am drawing a blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

I forgot he was a holder for the 'Hawks. I wonder if that will be in play with us? Who was our holder last year? I am drawing a blank.
                      Bartel.

Comment

• Originally posted by CalgaryRiderFan View Post

Bartel.
                        Thanks. Yeah, then it would seem that's a distinct possibility. Maybe Ryan can become the first punter two throw a TD pass in both leagues? lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Thanks. Yeah, then it would seem that's a distinct possibility. Maybe Ryan can become the first punter two throw a TD pass in both leagues? lol
                          He can replicate his "TD face"

Click image for larger version

Name:	gk9ybruecr42vdnag13n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	439345

Comment

• That might be one of the most important things for Ryan at training camp - work with Lauther on the holds to get that down so Lauther is 100% comfortable. Ryan mentioned on his Greenzone interview that he knew Hus. I don't know if they practised together elsewhere or something. That snapper / holder / kicker relationship is pretty tight on any team, but Jon seemed really tight with his guys for a good chunk of his time in Seattle.

Comment

I'm far from the only one.We'll have fun while you grumble something about outkicking the coverage and pining for the days of the Bartel Aussie-shank special. "But... but... he could kick really high in practise!" lol
                              Considering you will never find a post of me saying I liked Bartel or was against getting Ryan and keeping Bartel you got nothing.
                              Last edited by Bigsexydawg; 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM.
                              Rider QB Scrappin in Full Swing

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

Considering you will never find a post of me saying I liked Bartel or was against getting Ryan and keeping Bartel you got nothing.
                                What? You mean I said something about you that wasn't true in order to tease you? Say it isn't so! I'm sorry muffin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X