Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crapigna released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by JimmyLeach View Post

    Never said that. Does everyone forget we got him and 5th round pick for Messam. I get that teams could hypothetically wait for someone to get released but you could make that argument for most trades in this league. Your telling me a team who’s desperate for a field goal kicker like Toronto wouldn’t be willing to give even an 8th rounder for Craps? Just seems odd to me.
    Not really comparable. The Messam trade was nearing the trade deadline when we were not competitive. We were selling, and Calgary was buying for a GC run. In the off-season, before camp or injuries, when we are limited with roster spots we would prefer to use elsewhere for camp, there is not the same demand at all.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

      1. He's not stupid and understand the CFL has a salary cap. If he wants to play it's because he wants to play, not to make money, and I presume would settle for a salary that makes sense for what punters get paid.

      2. His age isn't relative. He's not a running back. He's not a middle linebacker. He's a punter.

      3. We are at the bottom of the punting stats sheet. How is that not a need?
      We are at the bottom of the stats sheet in punting because that’s what Bartel was asked to do...not because he’s a weak punter.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

        We are at the bottom of the stats sheet in punting because that’s what Bartel was asked to do...not because he’s a weak punter.
        Bartel's punting style has always lent itself to inconsistent results and a mediocre averages, and that's been pretty much his entire career. Ryan would definitely be an upgrade, so assuming Ryan is a reasonable person who understands CFL economics and asks for an appropriate salary, we would be fools not to sign him.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

          Why does Ottawa need a fg kicker? They have a kid that just set the professional record for consecutive made kicks.
          Yup Ottawa is destitute at kicker. A punter with a 48.3 yd career average and a FG kicker who had the audacity to make only 98.1% of his FGs.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by mikejth View Post
            I suspect Ottawa, Toronto still needs a Field Goal kicker, Bede in Montreal little inconsistent and getting worse, Hamilton brought in someone to compete against Lirim and it too them to April 1 to sign him, BC has nobody to speak off right now.

            So it is good possibility he will have a job shortly. The question mark is did his injury hurt him.
            Potential sophomore jinx aside for Ward Ottawa with him and Leone has the best kicking combo in the league. You talk about the Riders not having room for 3 in camp. The Argos already have 3 on the roster and may feel comfortable with them. Medeiros had a 46.1 yard punting average but was only averaging 75% on FGs. So they turned those duties over to a kid names Drew Brown out of Nebraska who finished the season off as the Argo placekicker hitting 10 of 11. They likely would go with a combo of Medeiros punting and Brown placekicking and still have Rockin' Ronnie Pfeffer for insurance. BC might be Crapigna's only option if they have doubts about the 2 kickers they're bringing to camp. Still other kickers out on the Used Kicker Emporium lot like QVG and Felix Menard-Briere who Winnipeg drafted in the 3rd round in 2017.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Bigsexydawg View Post

              Nothing like a poster who jumps in the middle of a thread throwing wild hay makers at the wrong posters or at posts without knowing any of the context.
              I dunno. Maybe Dickenson didn't say hello in an enthusiastic way and the other GMs laughed at him.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

                I think you're underselling how weak his leg is. It would be one thing if his leg was average; it below average. We had the shortest range for FG's of any team when he was our kicker. And his kickoffs were a SIGNIFICANT problem; him kicking off meant instant field position for the other team. I like his accuracy, and it's not his fault for being the height that he is (which directly relates to his lack of leg strength), but given the restrictions his leg strength put on where we could attempt FG's from, "average kicker" is about all that you can call him.
                His leg on FGs is fine. Not spectacular, but plenty adequate. It was certainly better than Congi's. His leg would be much less of an issue if he were on a team where the punter could handle kickoffs.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by gilligan View Post

                  His leg on FGs is fine. Not spectacular, but plenty adequate. It was certainly better than Congi's. His leg would be much less of an issue if he were on a team where the punter could handle kickoffs.
                  His leg on FGs is NOT fine. 45 yarders barely squeaking over the crossbar, unless it's wind assisted. Low trajectory, blockable kicks on everything over 40 yards. 50 yard attempt? Pfft. You need a big wind and even with a line driver of a kick it's still barely gonna make it. His FG % is good because only because he was protected; we didn't ask him to attempt kicks pro kickers SHOULD be attempting. We'd punt instead and play for field position.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by JimmyLeach View Post

                    Never said that. Does everyone forget we got him and 5th round pick for Messam. I get that teams could hypothetically wait for someone to get released but you could make that argument for most trades in this league. Your telling me a team who’s desperate for a field goal kicker like Toronto wouldn’t be willing to give even an 8th rounder for Craps? Just seems odd to me.
                    You didn't say it? What does "Why didn't we try to trade him" mean then? Again do you honestly believe we didn't try and trade him?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Tyree View Post

                      Biggar is just a short drive away...
                      Kid has to be in his early 20's by now. Ready for the big(gar) leagues.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by go riders View Post

                        You didn't say it? What does "Why didn't we try to trade him" mean then? Again do you honestly believe we didn't try and trade him?
                        No I clearly think we tried it just sucks we weren’t able to get something for him.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by JimmyLeach View Post

                          No I clearly think we tried it just sucks we weren’t able to get something for him.
                          Happens far more often than a trade.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by lerriuqs View Post

                            We are at the bottom of the stats sheet in punting because that’s what Bartel was asked to do...not because he’s a weak punter.
                            Could be something to that. In his previous 3 years as a Rider he averaged 44.3 then suddenly last year he dropped to 40.9 the worst of his career. Previous worst was 43.0 back in his rookie season in Hamilton. In 2017 he was 43.9 which was the 2nd best of his career. Were Jones and Dickenson asking him to do more directional kicking to sidelines? Did he have a nagging injury all year? There seems to be more to the story than he simply lost over 2 yards over the winter after consistently being 43+ the previous 5 years.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Hambone View Post

                              Could be something to that. In his previous 3 years as a Rider he averaged 44.3 then suddenly last year he dropped to 40.9 the worst of his career. Previous worst was 43.0 back in his rookie season in Hamilton. In 2017 he was 43.9 which was the 2nd best of his career. Were Jones and Dickenson asking him to do more directional kicking to sidelines? Did he have a nagging injury all year? There seems to be more to the story than he simply lost over 2 yards over the winter after consistently being 43+ the previous 5 years.
                              It was pretty widely reported that he was being asked to do what he was doing last season.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                So I understand we can't just trade a guy cause we want to - takes 2 to tango. What I dont understand is why we cut him now? What if Lauther hurts his knee in camp? What if Lauther plays terrible?
                                Did we save a bunch of money against the SMS?

                                On the face if it, I don't know why we cut him now and not after camp when we could have fully assessed the situation.

                                Comment

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

                                Announcement

                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X