Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"territorial exemption" picks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "territorial exemption" picks

    https://3downnation.com/2019/04/17/t...-and-terrible/

  • #2
    I don't know understand why.

    If you are going to protect players by territory each team should get one

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
      I don't know understand why.

      If you are going to protect players by territory each team should get one
      I love the idea behind a territorial exemption but this is just ridiculous. Each team shouldn’t get one. In theory it encourages them to develop grass roots football within their area.

      Comment


      • #4
        Whats wrong with the 2 exemptions for Jr players. Expand that. Those players aren5 in the draft, so it brings more opportunity for them. They are generally local and it expands the potential drawing pool.
        #keepthepromise

        Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

          I love the idea behind a territorial exemption but this is just ridiculous. Each team shouldn’t get one. In theory it encourages them to develop grass roots football within their area.
          Kavis is such a bumbler that he gets bailed out yet again.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

            Kavis is such a bumbler that he gets bailed out yet again.
            The horseshoe hasn't quite fallen out yet but I bet it is really uncomfortable for him to sit for extended periods of time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post
              Whats wrong with the 2 exemptions for Jr players. Expand that. Those players aren5 in the draft, so it brings more opportunity for them. They are generally local and it expands the potential drawing pool.
              Only Toronto & Montreal get to pick. Extra picks for them

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by El Guapo View Post

                Only Toronto & Montreal get to pick. Extra picks for them
                understand that. I am saying why not look at expanding the territorial Jrs if looking to give a leg up instead of guys that are going to be drafted anyways. Take on more local Jr products and allow more free spots to develop them. The east has a way bigger pool, so tough to say this wouldn't be a perk for them instead of happy happy free drafts when some people already suggest there is too much Canadian content assured spots. All this does is add more drafts to that, whereas fostering some Jr guys may actually pay bonus dividends. Even if they get nominal practice, they are bringing pro training and improvement back to the Jr teams, and adding that only improves them all, which may in turn benefit the league as a whole in time. This seems like a narrow sited attempt to boost struggling teams that will have low immediate impact anyways. Don't see a pile of 20th picks doing a bunch out of the gate. I mean, what seems better, practicing more players for a few years for no cap hit and seeing if they develop more and potentially improve the talent on their Jr team, or signing an extra early-mid round draft pick who needs development time? Personally, I would rather see a half dozen Jrs that aren't hitting the cap go to these teams.
                #keepthepromise

                Onward with escaping the hopeless fantasy of an artificial freedom and darkened picket fences the disillusioned front of friendly foes

                Comment


                • #9
                  Good points Beacon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Beacon.x View Post

                    understand that. I am saying why not look at expanding the territorial Jrs if looking to give a leg up instead of guys that are going to be drafted anyways. Take on more local Jr products and allow more free spots to develop them. The east has a way bigger pool, so tough to say this wouldn't be a perk for them instead of happy happy free drafts when some people already suggest there is too much Canadian content assured spots. All this does is add more drafts to that, whereas fostering some Jr guys may actually pay bonus dividends. Even if they get nominal practice, they are bringing pro training and improvement back to the Jr teams, and adding that only improves them all, which may in turn benefit the league as a whole in time. This seems like a narrow sited attempt to boost struggling teams that will have low immediate impact anyways. Don't see a pile of 20th picks doing a bunch out of the gate. I mean, what seems better, practicing more players for a few years for no cap hit and seeing if they develop more and potentially improve the talent on their Jr team, or signing an extra early-mid round draft pick who needs development time? Personally, I would rather see a half dozen Jrs that aren't hitting the cap go to these teams.
                    Eh? Perhaps you have more information about this than I, but my interpretation of this is an extra legit draft pick. You seem to be saying it's just a developmental pick that has to go back to Jr football. They can't pick from university players who can compete at camp and make the final roster?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Easily the Commishes worst judgement call to date. He erslky I’m in favour of almost all that’s been happening. But this skews the balance of the draft. It’s ridiculous. Bad teams already get the earlier picks in each round.Isn’t that enough? Brutal idea.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This is dumb. What's stopping Kavis from trading his 2nd round pick knowing he's getting a solid territorial player with the extra 2nd round pick? This doesn't develop anything, it's simply giving poor teams an extra (decent) pick. Dumb.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rider_Stronson View Post

                          Kavis is such a bumbler that he gets bailed out yet again.
                          Yeah, new ownership may take care of that situation. If / when a sale happens and hopefully to a half decent group.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by #1Fan View Post
                            This is dumb. What's stopping Kavis from trading his 2nd round pick knowing he's getting a solid territorial player with the extra 2nd round pick? This doesn't develop anything, it's simply giving poor teams an extra (decent) pick. Dumb.


                            Yeah, it seems weird. Why not just add a full round of territorial picks?
                            Last edited by juice; 04-18-2019, 08:55 PM.
                            Is it May yet?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The more I read into this, the more ridiculous it sounds. The league cites the fans expressing a lot of support for local kids being selected but gives ZERO justification for only allowing the bottom 2 teams to select from their territorial lists (outside of the obvious - because those 2 teams were horrible the prior year).

                              This could easily ruin what the league is trying to "accomplish". 2 non territorial players can be selected with the two 2nd round picks (let's say, a U of S lineman and UBC receiver) and then the 2 teams make 2 more solid picks from their territory. Very weird way to implement....

                              TORONTO – In a move that underlines the importance of Canadian players, the Canadian Football League will include territorial picks in next month’s CFL Draft.

                              The two teams with the highest waiver priority will each get to make one Territorial Draft Pick – to be used to select a player born within their territorial limits at the end of the second round.

                              That means the Toronto Argonauts will now receive the second round’s 10th pick and the Montreal Alouettes will receive the second round’s 11th pick in the May 2 draft.

                              The change is being made after discussions led by a committee that included some team presidents and general managers. But CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said it was driven by the league’s fans.

                              “CFL fans expressed a lot of support for CFL 2.0 and our international strategy when I hosted town halls across the country this past Winter,” Ambrosie said.

                              “At the same time, they told us they deeply value our Canadian players and they especially love seeing local kids become ‘hometown football heroes.’ We’re listening to those fans with this change.”

                              Fans also said they usually prefer to see players stay with their favourite team once they become free agents, Ambrosie said.

                              The introduction of territorial draft picks helps to address that issue as Canadian players have often cited a desire to be closer to home when changing teams in free agency.

                              LINK

                              Comment

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.

                              Announcement

                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X