Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Derek Dennis suggests a strike to open camp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LongTimeRiderFan View Post

I can infer those numbers looking at the lack of butts in the seats in the game's 3 largest markets and from declining TV numbers. What enormous sponsorships have been announced in the last few years? What huge partnerships? The league lost Reebok and had to settle for a first-timer as a replacement. What proof do I have? Logic and common sense. By several metrics that we DO know of the league has not only not grown, it's shrank. If the league has managed to keep it revenues flat and at least not shrinking, that'd be a good job!

You can point out all the individual successes you want, but that doesn't mean squat in the big picture. The league is in no place to be handing out anything significantly more than what they already have.
    So complete speculation. Thatís what I thought.

Comment

• Its too bad they both canít seem to make it work. A stunted season would be bad news for everyone.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Bingo_Arms View Post

Itís still peanuts for ďproĒ sports. If that number is acceptable letís go right to calling it what I do lots; Minor League Football. That gets a few of the regulars here riled up but when the majority of your league makes under $60k US, thatís pretty much what it is.
          I actually think the CFL is the only professional league where salaries are fair for the work. Itís the rest of the pro leagues that are way out to lunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Murphy View Post
            Also Iím all for some sort of revenue sharing, but I also want all salaries published then, so no private teams can be doing anything shady, and also then it would also show that the majority of CFL players arenít making peanuts
            Weíd also need to see all the income that players and their families get. No more hiding pay from private owners

Comment

So complete speculation. Thatís what I thought.
              It's also all you've got

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post

It's also all you've got
                For sure, which is why my post said ďif the players werenít receiving a decent offer I would support a strikeĒ. I never stated that as a fact. Reality is we donít know what the offers are or arenít just like we donít know if revenue is up, down or flat.

What I do know as fact is that the league pulled back previously agreed on bonuses. If you donít think thatís slimy then thatís your call but itís pretty bush league business IMO.

Comment

Derek Dennis is an all star tackle and a recent Offensive Lineman of the Year. There are not ten more of him just wanting to come up to the CFL. Yes there are ten more OL but they wonít be of the same quality. If youíre ok taking a quality drop off then fair enough.

Its funny, I talked to player this winter about the $55k minimum and he just shook his head. Says he knows several good players that wonít even look at the CFL with that joke of a starting wage and then the laughable exchange rate. He said theyíd rather stay at home and find something else and actually make more money. He said itís only those that canít do other things (generally) or are desperate for a last long shot NFL look. I canít say I blame them. I wouldnít bash my head around, a lot of the time on special teams, and risk injuries that impact the rest of my life for peanuts either. Thereís not as many as you may think that would ďgive anythingĒ for the chance to play football for a crappy salary in a foreign country.

I am not suggesting the players should get everything they want but this ďplay for it or hit the roadĒ is pretty sad too. There should be some sort of compromise where the players can get more than they have today.
                  I disagree, he is very replaceable and is paid very well. If he wants the big bucks he should head to the NFL. The real salary gobblers in the CFL are not the Canadians they are the quarterbacks who are all from a foreign country.

Comment

Maybe an individual cap is the answer? Iím open to that idea. The lunacy could have been even more had a certain player not shunned the Riders or Argos.

There is also money to be saved by trimming the ratio. Low end Canadians that are inferior to the lowest end imports are paid significantly higher.
                    I am okay with that because I know they will spend that higher income in the Canadian economy and not cart it off to a foreign country to spend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lotus View Post

55 K in 6 months not bad money for 20 year olds. To get on the CFL stage can be a huge stepping stone for any player willing to to do what it takes to get there. You want to side with the players have at it but I have no desire to do any butt kissing in that regard. As with BSD they already have my money for this season but even if one game is lost they all can kiss my arse as this fan will be out of the CFL and for good.

These hot shots want to crap all over the players who have played there hearts out over the last 100 plus years to build the League to what it is today out of sheer greed and what they feel as self entitlement they can hit the road.
                      Great post. I am not about to be lead around by the nose by a bunch of complainers who aren't even from my country. The CFL was built by Canadians and it is looking like it will be dismantled by foreigners.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magnum View Post

NFL a 3rd year player minimum salary is $705,000, Russel Wilsons average yearly salary $35,000,000.

NHL minimum salary is $650,000. Austin Matthews salary next year is $11,634,000, a hell of an increase from his $925,000 salary from this season.

So if you say the CFL is lunacy.............just WTF is the NFL?
                        I think it was Kurt Vonnegut who said that you can tell how sick a society is by how much they pay their entertainers. The NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL are all symptomatic of just how sick the USA really is. Do we as Canadians need to go down that road?

Comment

• Originally posted by McGreen View Post

I am okay with that because I know they will spend that higher income in the Canadian economy and not cart it off to a foreign country to spend it.
                          Lol. Well those imports likely spend a good portion of it here anyways but at the end of the day the player income from ANY CFL player has a minimal impact on our national economy. There's only about 500 of them across the whole country lol. The real impact to spending from pro athletes in Canada comes from the seven NHL teams, the Jays and the Raptors. Now those guys have some serious money to spend!

Would love to see us drop 2 Canadian staters and two of the required total on the roster. Would alleviate some of the out of whack contracts the low end Canadians get while improving the quality of play. And again, I am only suggesting the low end ones, the one's that have no business being referred to as professional football players but are simply hanging around based on a passport. Each team has some of them.

Comment

For sure, which is why my post said ďif the players werenít receiving a decent offer I would support a strikeĒ. I never stated that as a fact. Reality is we donít know what the offers are or arenít just like we donít know if revenue is up, down or flat.

What I do know as fact is that the league pulled back previously agreed on bonuses. If you donít think thatís slimy then thatís your call but itís pretty bush league business IMO.
                            Yeah I'm not sure on the legalities regarding that, but it seems like bad faith especially since said bonuses were part of the last agreement

Comment

• Originally posted by El Guapo View Post

Yeah I'm not sure on the legalities regarding that, but it seems like bad faith especially since said bonuses were part of the last agreement
                              That's my whole issue with it. Some were even negotiated two or three years ago depending on contract length. I wouldn't have been upset if they said when the season expires no "new bonuses" are to be given out but the way that they did it was shady.

I am definitely pro player but it's only to an extent. If it turns out they are asking for ridiculous demands then in turn I wouldn't support them.

Comment

• It's tough to comment because nobody outside of the two parties really know what's going on until specific details get leaked.

As a simple fan, I hope they reach a compromise sooner rather than later and there is no stoppage.
                                Ya friggin Pigeon

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X